Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • And get some manual glass :)

• K thanks guys :)

• I never dreamed I'd be so happy to have no balls.

• Dan Chung on DSLR Shooter about Pocket Camera´s black spot and the infamous O : "I have asked Blackmagic Design about both of these issues and they are aware of my concerns. They say they are investigating the ‘white orbs’ and I await their response." http://www.newsshooter.com/2013/08/30/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-night-time-testing-at-1600asa/

• @vicharris

And get some manual glass :)

it wont keep white orbs out of your footage. see my samples above, boat scene is shot with Nokton 25mm.

• That was a joke right?

• @peaceonearth vicharris meant for the regular BMCC MFT mount.

• @vitaliy_kiselev "As far as I understand it is industrial sensor used on factories and may be in high end security cameras. They just can live up with all this issues."

If the BMCC and BMPCC share the same sensor tech, then why does one respond one way and the other doesn't?

• Someone has suggested that in the past these issue could be caused by the glass glued over the sensor. I don't know just repeating speculation.

• Jim Jannard sez " All you camera peepers are so picky picky picky! Keep it up and I'm building a RED shuttle to the RED planet, you know....where John Carter lives.... and I'm taking ALL my cameras with me! NO CAMERAS FOR YOU!! What?!! They're not trashing RED cameras? WTF? BMPCC? How can they crank out cameras so fast? .....Everyone is Kung Fu Manufacturing! Those hands are fast as lightning!

But seriously, I didn't see any problems with J.B.'s Sydney Low Light Vivid footage.

• @itimjim as it turns out they don't

• @shian interesting. I thought JB said that the sensor wasn't the same, but the tech was.

I think BM need to put this to bed as quickly as possible, good or bad news. But, I'm very disappointed about the community reaction to JB as he's just a guy doing a job and a good one at that.

• i see these orbs on my footage. its a shame, I dont point the cam at bright shiny objects anymore so I can still live in the dream =) saying that, a hot pixel just poped up on my display screen lol. they could have used a better hi res screen imo. ah well.

• I'm surprised that people are so upset about the white orbs. The sensor was originally designed by BASF for cameras that are used by paranormal researchers to take photos in special conditions.

Also great for working with one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/kf5owcs

• haha. all you can do is just laugh about it. someone needs to make a spoof BM video of this.

• 99 Luftballons

• could the black holes/spots have something to do with the camera's highlight sharpness settings?

• @maxr

the black spots happen when the CMOS sensor is overloaded with light and it can be fixed very easily. it used to be a problem on red one cameras too until they fixed it.

• So how come we didn't see any of this in John Brawley's footage? What was different with his camera?

• He did not encounter these issues, knows how to avoid these issues or he did not post the shots that had these issues. Take your pick. :)

• Best footage I have seen yet...there is hope...perhaps?....

• My thoughts exactly.. Great stuff!

Some orbs in there but not too obvious.. Interesting comments in the comment section about shutter speed. This was shot at 29.97 using shutter speed 180 and the Motion blur looks great. They also mention that if you shoot at 23.94 you should use 172.8 for shutter speed for correct motion blur.

The only thing I would say is that most if the best footage I have seen has come from non native glass... Slr magic(bloom).. Nokton..(this one) and Canon (Auckland in my pocket). Anything shot with panny lenses like the 12-35 or anything else hasn't really sung yet...IMHO..

• The orbs are still pretty obvious to me in that footage, it was solid footage outside of that, just bad how there is no control that can alleviate it, besides refusing to shoot around traffic or any other bright light.

• Yeah, looks pretty nice. Once they fix the orbs this will be a flexible visual tool.

The audio situations bugs me though. Yes you can record off-board, but it's a hassle to deal with separate audio files, syncing, clock drift etc.

(this applies to DSLR-type cams in general): if they can't give us high quality mics (unlikely), or at least high-quality ADCs for our own mics + audio meters - why not just offer a digital audio input instead? Super easy for them. You supply your own mics & ADC & connect it digitally. Then you have perfect audio straight in your video file, in perfect sync, and no hassle in post.

I mean if you have to use outboard gear anyway, that would be the best solution (for both sides).

• There's an interesting bit of aliasing going on in the lights on the sky scraper at 0:38. I assume that's because there is no OLPF. In an ideal world that wouldn't be there, but I haven't noticed it anywhere else (that's a worst-case scenario) and most people probably prefer the extra sharpness. Might be smoother from raw too.