Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
4K Black Magic Production Camera, raw, $2495 now

Specifications:

• Super 35 sensor
    • Effective Sensor Size 21.12mm x 11.88mm (Super 35).
    • Frame Rates
      • 3840 x 2160p23.98,
      • 3840 x 2160p24,
      • 3840 x 2160p25,
      • 3840 x 2160p29.97,
      • 3840 x 2160p30,
      • 1920 x 1080p23.98,
      • 1920 x 1080p24,
      • 1920 x 1080p25,
      • 1920 x 1080p29.97,
      • 1920 x 1080p30,
      • 1920 x 1080p50i,
      • 1920 x 1080p59.94i.
    • Recording:
      • Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 3840 x 2160 and 1920 x 1080,
      • Visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW at 3840 x 2160 and 1920 x 1080 * Global Shutter
    • Ultra HD and 4K support
    • Built In SSD recorder
    • Touch LCD metadata entry
    • Compressed Cinema DNG RAW and ProRes recording
    • Thunderbolt and EF lens compatibility
    • Cncludes FREE DaVinci Resolve and UltraScope.
    • $2495 Retail price

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicproductioncamera4k

Available at:

• 330 Replies sorted by
  • EF mount. bulshit, i cant belive this guys. only marketing oriented for same eos cinema target. Someone is trying to steal some market from caon :)

good price point though i hope the sensors issues in supply and quality are good

• "Pre-order today, we'll get it you sometime between this summer and Star Wars: Episode 8....promise"

• My first camera in middleschool was a GL2. In college, I jumped all the way up to a GH2. I'm graduating this May, and while I've told myself that I'll wait for a cam that has mirrorless, RAW, global shutter, S35 and >1080p resolution . . .

Blackmagic is making the wait very difficult :-)

Hopefully, they realize the error of their ways and release this cam with a shorter flange focal distance. My vote goes to Sony's new FZ mount, as it is 18mm just like their consumer E-mount, but is more robust and better-suited to a S35 sensor.

• Get ready for the market to be flooded with a bunch of used first generation BMDC cameras...all 100 of them I'm guessing.

• My only concern with this one is if having a global shutter has compromised the DR in any way (and if that's why they don't mention 13 stops). I'd actually prefer 13 stops with some rolling shutter than 11.5 stops without (of course unless there's an option for both). I'd definitely like to see some further details as they come out.

As bad as BMD has been with shipping, they are the only company with a RAW cinema camera that is currently available on the market for under $3,000 (pre-order from Adorama and the wait is only a few weeks now). Now they are bringing the price of s35 4k RAW global shutter from $29,000 (Sony F55) down to <$4,000. I hope BMD has their lawyers ready for Red.

Choice of EF mount was weird with the 2.5k camera, but makes perfect sense with this one. It's easy to find good cheap glass for almost any application with this mount/sensor size combo.

• No wonder they have been pressed for time (!)

• This was posted on the other thread but I think it should be here too:

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/blackmagic_cinema_camera_4k_mft

And if this is true, I know whose gonna get my dough.

• Wow, perhaps I should get a order in and see if I can get the 4K before my 2.5K even turns up !

• EF mount is a disappointment. There is no mirror box in this camera, so therefore no need to have a flange distance so large. BM should have made it similar to the NEX mount and provided their own EF adapter. They could have had an unbelievable full frame Cinema Camera with the speed booster on this thing, but the EF flange distance prevents that from being possible.

This chasing of 4K by manufacturers is frustrating. Why not give us good 2.5K/1080 RAW before jumping the gun to 4K, how about affordable 2.5K RAW with 120fps/240fps and some firmware improvements.

• EF mount is a disappointment.

For some, may be. But remember that big number will jump to this camera from Canon cameras, and it is advantage for them.

• Not saying they shouldn't have made an EF option, just wish it was an adapter that was removable.

• EF is a good market to tap into, since they are currently stuck in 8-bit land. Give us a solid mount we can adapt to PL and the like!

• Buzz I'm getting from inside is that it they have a new sensor source and ample supply of sensors, and will be ready to ship by July [separate pipeline from the 2.5K] and the 4K trade off is it's now only 12 stops

• Specs and photos will be available soon.

• 12 stops is acceptable, 10 is not.

• Nice, 12 stops would be the perfect compromise for me.

• Does the MFT lenses even cover the super 35 sensor area?

• You can just use a crop mode - like with RED cams. The point is a shorter flange distance to allow ANYTHING OTHER THAN SHITTY CANON GLASS.

• @shain, EF adapters will work on this, no? So you'd also be able to use F-mount, K-mount, m42, probably a few others I'm forgetting. As someone not in a position to rent PL glass most of the time anyway (and not a huge investment in native m4/3 stuff), I can totally live with this.

• Interestingly the Black-Magic Website is down:

Service Unavailable

The service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

• @andyharris

They just put information, so site went down as in 2012. Guys still did not learn to use cloud cache services.

• From Grant Petty

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

The first of the Ultra HD products this year is a new camera!

The new Blackmagic Production Camera 4K features a large Super 35 size sensor with a global shutter. This makes it easy to get shallow depth of field shots as well as shots with fast motion and is something people have been asking for.

The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is housed in the same chassis as our current Blackmagic Cinema Camera so all the third party accessories that have been developed will fit perfectly. It features an EF compatible lens mount as the sensor in this camera is way too large physically, to fit in a MFT lens mount.

This new camera features recording to solid state disks in visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes 422 (HQ) formats, built in Thunderbolt and 6G-SDI output to allow Ultra HD video out. The sensor features 12 stops of dynamic range, so this camera gives a nice look to the images and is perfect for all types of production work!

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K also includes 6G-SDI output for monitoring on Ultra HD displays and includes overlays. However this output can be down converted to regular HD when you want to use a more common and smaller monitor. The 6G-SDI output supports Ultra HD down the single BNC cable so it’s perfect for use with a live production switcher such as the new ATEM Production Studio 4K below!

The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K will be available in July for $3,995.