Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • I have it with the sigma 18-35.. Awesome combo

• Are there any comparisons where the Speedbooster is compared to the original lens on the original camera? For example, using a Nikon 42mm lens on both a Nikon and a GH2 with a Speedbooster. I'm sure someone's tried this, but I can't find any examples.

• @umla @nomad @aljimenez I love my Metabones Minolta MD adapter! It makes my collection of lenses very happy. One thing that you have to watch out for is that the aperture post at the back of the lens can make contact with the side of the Metabones lens. This will stop the iris from closing down. If you file the very inside of the post down, you should clear the lens and also keep the post working on Minolta film cameras. It you bend it out, I can't say if it will be OK with film cameras. Not all of Minolta's lenses have this problem. The notable lens with the problem is the 35-70/3.5, all flavors.

• Thank you for those hints, looking forward to getting mine once they ramp up production.

• Seriously, after all this time, still no EF version, not even dumb EF?

I'm tired of waiting and I guess I'll just have to settle with this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focal-Reducer-Speed-Booster-adapter-Canon-EF-mount-Lens-to-Micro-4-3-M4-3-Camera-/201016438691

• Question- Would the BMPCC adapter work with this lens?...I am not familiar with the Nikon mounts... And I am not sure if this is "G" mount?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65920767@N06/6184944152/

• It's curious that metabones has allowed the other manufacturers this time to catch up. I know that Mitakon is about to release their fd/m43 version soon. Does anyone know if there was some glitch in production of the m43 versions , other than what's stated about the fd/olympus incongruity ? I can't imagine them loosing these 3 months because they can't fabricate them fast enough !

• @No_SuRReNDeR

Yes that lens will work. It is an F mount which is the same mount as the G mount. G mount just refers to the lens not having an aperture ring, and F mount lenses do have an aperture ring. Both have the same actual mount. A G mount adapter just has a aperture ring built into it to control the lenses aperture without an aperture ring. Basically any F or G mount lens will mount on a G mount adapter, and technically any F or G mount lens will mount on a F mount adapter, you just won't be able to control the aperture on the G mount lenses. I hope that makes things clear.

• Ok cool thanks @Brian202020 I really appreciate the info. I was a tad bit confused why Metabones went with this mount. I hope active or not they still go forward with and produce a Canon EF version of the adapter--not holding my breath though... Never owned a Nikon and I saw that lens on Ebay for cheap. Bid was only at $70 and 3 hours left

• Metabones Minolta MD Speedbooster + Minolta SR 600mm/5.6 (at f/11) + Minolta 200-L 2X Teleconverter + Panasonic GH2

500-5.6_MC+2X_02_Crop.jpg
    2480 x 2600 - 2M
  • No_SuRReNDeR: Metabones is developing EF-m4/3 versions, but they will be active, not passive. A passive EF mount might have some use as a foundation for other mounts (e.g., Olympus OM, Leica-R, Nikon-F, etc) via an intermediate adapter, but it is essentially useless for actually using EF-mount lenses since you can't control the aperture.

• fredfred27: That's a very nice moon shot, but I have to say that a 0.71x Speed Booster plus a 2x teleconverter is the hard way to create a 1.4x teleconverter!

• @brianc1959 You are correct, it is a round about way to create a 1.4X teleconverter! I have one for my Tamrons, but not one for the Minoltas. I went back out to create a comparison of all the various permutations. Top Left: Speedbooster MD (+1 Stop), Top Right: Fotodiox MD-m4/3, Bottom Left: Speedbooster MD + MD 200-L 2X Teleconverter (-1 stop), Bottom Right: Fotodiox MD-m4/3 + MD 200-L 2X Teleconverter (-2 stops).

08.600-5.6_11.0_AllRelative_HalfSize.jpg
    2424 x 2112 - 2M
  • Question: Is the tripod adapter removable from the speedbooster?

• It was removable on my Minolta MD version.

• @Ralph_B Yep, they all are.

• Thanks, guys!

• seems that canon fd/mft are back in stock

• Metabones Page:

"Sorry to our followers forvery late notice. We, MotionBistro, a Korean distributor closed its business in October last year and handed over its Metabones business to another company in Korea. We hope you find better ways to get information at www.metabones.com. This is a real headquater company website where all information you need. They do not have facebook page, though. They have all range of lens adapters now including BMCC, M43, and others on the shelf. Please check!: www.metabones.com This page will be deleted within 4 weeks. MotionBistro members moved to Canada and pursue their passion for camera lenses."

• @brunoalmeida

What does it mean exactly? No new designs and just selling that they have?

• That is from MotionBistro's facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Metabones.Korea They appear to have been a reseller (distributor) of Metabones products in Korea. I am pretty sure Metabones is alive and well.

• @fredfred27 Correct. Metabones is alive and well. I suppose distributors may come and go on occasion.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev What sort of new designs are you interested in?

• I asked Metabones about a Canon FD - BMPCC speedbooster and they answer me that they're developing it. Even if it seems obvious, it's nice to have a confirmation.

• Mine arrived today, Canon FD to MFT. Lenses are dusty and rattling! Cotacted Metabones right away. The used FD-lenses I bought on ebay were in better shape!

Edit: Support just answered. Maybe customs or Hong Kong post made it dusty while inspecting - are they kidding? The package was sealed, with dust caps on the Speed Booster. In the meantime I even discovered fingerprints on the edges of the back and front lens!. O.K, the backlens is easy to touch (I avoided that) but the front lens is deeper in the housing, not so easy to reach. Hey Metabones, in day to day use, with just a litle care,dust will never gather on the Speedboosters lenses - and now my first action was to clean the lenses and risk to damage the coating? Anyway they offered to send it back, but did not offer refund for the shipment or RMA for customs - wrote them again, let´s see what happens.

• hello i have a question Does the speedbooster add aberration-purple fringe??

Thanks

sorry enghish