Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cheap cage for GH1, GH2 and maybe GH3
  • Hi all, I need you advice.

I really want to have a handle on top of my rig. And would love to have it shoot at slightly low angles when on shoulder. At the same time, I hate those bulky rigs that make a tiny GH1 or GH2 into an Alexa size. So I decided that I need a cage for my GH1, which will soon become GH2 or GH3. After battling with some DIY builts, I think I'd just buy a cheap cage. The problem is that cheap cages for GH1 or GH2 are difficult to find. I'm even considering buying this and cutting off one of the rods on the left to allow for my GH1's flip out screen/viewfinder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSLR-Camera-Cage-Holder-w-Standard-15mm-Rod-for-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-7D-/400358630146 Can anyone post links where I can buy a GH1, GH2, GH3 cage for circa $100 ?

• 48 Replies sorted by
  • @OBgene - can I ask how you fit rails underneath your fhugen/honu cage? Thanks.

@adamquesada $390.00 to be exact. The thing itself looks very interesting and clever with the crossed rod axes... wooden handle is just great. Big enough for different camera models IF mounted recessed to the back of the frame, which seems to be the whole idea for this semi-cage, being a rib for a shoulder rig.
    If I had to use an ext. grip I'll totally prefer wood but as perfect holding camera position for me is in front of sternum, I'll would much prefer a 30º (or rotatable) grip to take of the stress from wrists and just lovely would be if it were positioned off camera mounting axis, to the front... that cheap... I'm dreaming I know =). Thanks for bringing more options.

Z_cage.jpg
    635 x 735 - 73K
  • Zacuto has the new half cage but its also not cheap, same price as the wooden camera quick cage. Also it is not really a cage per say, it attaches to rails. http://www.zacuto.com/half-cage

• What issues have you been having?

@theshittywizard from hot shoe falloff, to scratching and loosing parts... I must admit I'm not as "kind" to material as I should having in account it's kind of flimsy... but I'm used to bricks :P Issues befall mostly by handling and transport, again it's not so easy-fixable thing as if you go some places (read where cat's are not allowed) you absolutely don't want to attract any attention. As if things were not complicated enough, the amount of weight I can carry it's very limited. Probably I'll also get a second hand sturdy bag and tune it... or buy more drugs. Big thanks for feedback ,-)

@Alienhead Obrigado T. tudo de bom amigo

• I had the Honu cage but sold it. It wasn't good for what I needed it for, but it may be fine for you because you don't plan to attach rails. On the other hand gripping it may be awkward without attaching something else. I wanted to add a handgrip instead of a pistol grip, but nothing I tried was compatible with it. Also I have a GH2, which works but isn't ideal because the cage is a little bigger than it needs to be and doesn't provide battery access.

• @maxr you mentioned your GH3 is falling apart fast? What issues have you been having?

I've been using the Honu Cage for quite a while. Works fairly well for what I'm doing. I use it for run and gun stuff (where I'm not using my shoulder rig) and is very light weight and compact. At times I've elected to attach two pistol grips for added support.

Tip: I was able to snipe my Honu cage on ebay for $55 brand new with shipping. They seem to be available almost all the time there. If you're not against losing an hour or two of sleep, it's kind of a no brainer. That is, until some more affordable solutions are released.

A while back, Gini Rigs posted a photo of their new GH3 specific shoulder rig that included a cage catered specifically to the GH3. I actually emailed them last week asking inquiring about the status. Have yet to hear back though.....

• I think I was referring to the ghost one, was able to make out the logo on the image.

• @kellar42 that is your (SLR) wooden camera, the one you mentioned above, je je. Just looking at the pictures of naked cages, are we?!!! shame on you :P // just in case (you never know), I'm kidding

I think this video, more than anything, gives away and idea on proportions

Everything good is expensive my grandma used to say when went buying her pacemaker batteries, nevertheless she never quitted smoking

In the >200$ there's also this interesting enough to be studied option. Camtreehunt is a company based in India, - OMFG I sound like a seller - and this package is basically 3 cages in one. The 15cm's one should do it for the GH3, leaving enough room for a quick plate, case hight or quick release is desired. image

uni_cage.jpg
    800 x 453 - 65K
    uni_cage2.jpg
    797 x 482 - 72K
  • @maxr That looks great...but I missed a beat...what is it?!

• Do they sell that Ghost cage already?

@den59 I couldn't figure it out, everything seems to indicate not for sale though. See topic http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3026/japanese-ghost-001-gh2-cage/p1

To add wooden camera cage with very nice quick release dovetail and awful lot of 1/4-20 holes and some 3/8-16. Looks very sturdy and practical design, you can expand hight (need new rod) to fit larger camera models. Also the more expensive of them all: 400 bucks (ay!)

• I have a Hone cage, it is very nice and i like it. For its price, it is a no-brainer. Although i miss the ability to actually access the grip...

Do they sell that Ghost cage already? Looks very nice, pity u can't adjust the hight, it fits gh3(4?) only i suppose...

• @OBgene that looks like the most affordable compromise indeed. Thanks buddy 4 feedback

@kellar42 exactly! Most of the time would be handhold shooting (I'm doing a doc about parkinson :P)

For me seems like a big PLUS to be able to get direct contact with camera grip while you left hand would serve as cage resting base, in the case of this ghost cage - which has this very clever idea of 90º rotation, unfortunately for right column only, would love to see a modular design where you can rotate both columns 180º and truly superb would be to be able to re-locate left column just behind EVF for waist LCD flipped up shooting style - the "issue" is where the camera sits, a bit high, design compromises I guess. In that sense SC got it right, MHO image

Also some very nice design details in the later are curved finished shapes, specially the join to camera "base plate"... always from this POV of your wrist being in direct contact with the structure =)

Vitaliy the cat is all right, alhamdulillah, she was just having a break from very important movie she's starring

ghost_2.jpg
    800 x 305 - 85K
    SC_cage.jpg
    696 x 354 - 19K
  • @maxr couldn't be happier with the Honu cage. It's solild, GH3 feels very secure. Easily attach my monitor, mic etc without a problem. Will get another one when I get a GH4 that's for sure. It can also come with a handle and an HDMI clamp. Service was quick, got delivered from the US within days of order, plus the company Fhugen have a good relationship with all it's users on Twitter and Instagram (not that it matters so much!)

• I've been through the research as well and decided that short of a Wooden Camera Small DSLR ($600+) my favourite thing was the Swedish Chameleon. The Honu thing looks good but not as easy to hand-hold...I like that about the semi cage of the Chameleon.

Just waiting on confirmation that it will work on a GH4 (I mean it must, but would like confirmation) to order it.

• I'd recommend not buying something that only fits one camera

Very strong point @CFreak, the Gini cage (DSLR) you mention seems to be a bit too big though and no ¼-20 holes!! I need those :P
    About the Varavon, just can't figure it out man, it's like one of Escher's labyrinths

@OBgene so hows the Honu working for you mate?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev cheers master, I report today I saw a cat... it looked very lonely and unattended

• PNC.com isn't listed as one of Kamerar's distributors either.

May be because they are, again, owned by same guys :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I have a feeling you are right about the Cheesycam connection. I don't know where the stuff is made. I do find it strange that often the Kamerar products are cheaper on that site than on Kamerar's own site. PNC.com isn't listed as one of Kamerar's distributors either.

• as far as I know photographyandcinema.com is owned and promoted by Cheesycam guy, designs are copied from other manufacturers and it is produced in India.

• it's all about the Honu cage. Built for the GH3 and only $99 http://www.photographyandcinema.com/products/fhugen-gh3-video-cage

• I have the Gini cage for the GH2. The great part of this cage is the ant-twist clamp. Anyone tried this with a GH3 or bmpcc?

• 2 years ago I bought a Gini Cage on sale like this one: http://cheesycam.com/gini-drops-new-dslr-cage-1/ I like that the height is adjustable and it will fit many cameras besides my GH2. I can remove 2 of the four vertical rods and it still feels stable. Cons: It's a little heavy and Gini failed to mention it didn't have ¼-20 holes, only M5 holes. I have tapped a few to ¼-20 so it is ok for me. I think it'll fit the BMCC too.

I'd recommend not buying something that only fits one camera, as they get refreshed so often. The height adjustment is key.

If I had to buy again I'd look at these (no actual hands on experience):

1) I think the Gini design has been refined and is sold at the bottom of the page here: http://www.photographyandcinema.com/collections/camera-cage

2) I like how this one is less intrusive, had different mounting options and will fit other cameras http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6013/varavon-armor-uni-for-cage-or-bracket-gh2/p1

• +1 Does the Gini work with the GH3? It worked with a GF2. Wondering myself.

• Hey guys =)

My GH3 is falling apart, fast, so I guess I need a cage where to put the pieces.
    This woud be a nice solution Ghost cage and yet another ghost link

unfortunately it doesn't seem to be for sale. So I left with trust, gini and sweed chamaleon.
    I like the idea of being able to hold the camera by its grip as the SC allows

Gini for Gh2 looks solid as the neverending story stone giant's poo... also cheaper and that's big factor, I can only sell 1 kidney :P

Then the trust one, looking solid as well

I should point out I'm not into 15mm rods or more complex stuff right now, honestly just need something where to atach external mic, recorder and hang a chineese good luck charm. Question: does the gini cage for GH2 work with Gh3? What about the trust one? Can you share some advices, opinions, please? Thanks a bunch
    @Alienhead are you around?

• @kronstadt

Thanks for reply, could you possibly post an immage of your rig? Just curios

• @kronstadt,

Thanks for the info. I finally decided to go the non-cage route and bought an Express35 anti-twist mount specifically machined for the GH2. It was on sale and was ultimately a lot cheaper than buying all these different do-dads to try and get a quick release plus some way to stop the body from twisting while focusing.

I took apart my original dual rail block camera rod mount, which was designed for a larger video camera, and so I ended up being ready for any type of system... and still have a height adjustable tripod mount in the process.

The Express35 GH2 15mm rod mount is a real champ. No way this little bugger is moving around on the rig! :)