Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • I haven't been on this thread for a while, and have since been using a BMPCC but it's really nice to see that people are still using their GH3's to make some amazing stuff. It's crazy how fast cameras 'become obsolete' these days. I use my GH3 all the time and nobody bats an eyelid at the footage. I got a load of compliments for a music video I shot on GH3 ages ago with "Was that a RED camera? Was that a Blackmagic camera?" Nope.

The skin tones still bother me sometimes but seeing that China video above I feel put to shame!

VERY excited to hear that there might be a hack after all this time!

• @joethepro though DRL and I can't get along I do appreciate U sharing your workflow / recipe ,-)

Actually I developed a pretty similar process inside AE... these days I'm exploring (the still quite beta) Lightworks as I really like the uncluttered display, node/routing concept, the hyper fast render engine (in last test took AE about x10 more to render pretty similar look), the set of inbuilt tools - where there's even an effect called shrink to 16-235 - and the very useful user's FXs. As DRL it is also 4 free. The third pass in the above video is a direct render from Lwks, from there I pushed it a bit more inside AE.

Hope to see more of this wunder practicing of yours =)

• Thank you, @maxr. The bulk of the look here is exposure correction, and shooting to preserve all highlights (within reason). I did other grading as well, but that was most of it. Reducing the overall final contrast of the image slightly with the curves max and min values goes a long way to make a look like this. Bring them to something like 16-240 instead of 0-255, and do it so the curve is still linear, not just clipping the extremes. Really softens the extremes and brings out shadow detail. The sound was just a free clip from freesound.org that I modified.

You seriously nailed the focus on that fly, good stuff!

• @joethepro just WOW!!!
    ***** sound & grade ,-)

• Some more grading practice with Resolve 11. Ive been shooting with contrast at -3 and I feel the overall image is more pleasing and grades to a final look better than -5, and I do not feel there is any loss of usable detail at the extremes.

Vimeo/Youtube lowers the contrast of the video when uploaded for some reason. Must be changing the video levels. Annoying as shit.

• Any news about the hack @Vitaliy_Kiselev ???

• I shot this small video during a short trip in Normandy.

• @joethepro yes, I used neat video but took me much time cause the best way I think I discovered to use neat video keeping maximum detail is by splitting the video in three layers, RG and B , use separately in each layer neat, all amounts at maximum, then combine again the layers with screen blend. It is very interesting but needs very high graphic card :)

• Is there any way to keep the camera from changing aspect ratio when in portrait orientation? I dont like how it changes, Id like to keep the extra pixels and do my own cropping, or have the option to enable it!

• @starios Thanks! How did you maintain such clean video after raising the shadows on the girl? Did you use neat video?

• @joethepro thank you for the information, I also use multiple blend with soft or linear light for lifting midtones but you have some interesting moves in contrast and color direction of highlights and shadows, nice smooth vignette :)

• @starios I remember now, it was the multiply blend mode, just FYI.

• @starios Thanks for the compliment! I was trying something new, but now I dont remember exactly what I did. The main goal when shooting was to preserve all of the cloud highlights so I could gamma-down the shit out of them to give them alot of contrast. In addition to general color correction in Resolve I made a layer node with the second layer B&W. I cant remember which blend mode I used to get this effect, but I dont think it was overlay or screen. I think I used some opacity on the B&W layer too. It got kind of complicated, but I think I saved a powergrade. Boosted local contrast too. I can look at it and explain more. or send it to you, if you want.

• @joethepro can you provide some information about the way you grade, your video is dreamy, very very nice!

• I am anxiously awaiting a hack!

• @joethepro it is what it is.

• Im so sad that we were never given focus peaking in a firmware update. So sad.

• NOT MY VIDEO but Borjazz's vimeo user

Camera - Panasonic Lumix GH3
    Lenses - Voigtlander 17.5mm and 25mm
    Video mode - ALL-I 1080p25
    Picture profile - Neutral with set to -5
    Accesories - Fader ND by Light Craft Workshop

• Trying something new with a color grade. Ignore some of the sloppy shots, I know they have issues haha, just working on a grade. I dont understand YouTube, the first 10 seconds of my videos are always low res, even if the whole video has previously loaded and been viewed in HD. Bleh.

• @kromanek The first bit of the trailer seems ... just, well, there ... and then ... it gets worth attention ... and then it takes attention ... then it commands attention. Nice job, got me interested ... :-)

• @kromanek Looks like a great movie, I really liked the trailer; kudos.

• If you find this interesting you can find out more about "Astray" here: https://www.facebook.com/krompictures?ref_type=bookmark

• How foolish of me to post my trailer on here and then return to this page realizing people enjoyed my work!! Thank you so much. @rNeil @Matt_GH2 @surfculture @GlueFactoryBJJ. I greatly appreciate your responses. I've returned to release the latest version of the films trailer now that we have had a smooth festival run and a new EPK. I'll gladly answer any questions, please enjoy the latest version of "Astray." shot entirely on the GH3.

• I was always under the impression that a GH3 hack was not possible. It's still a great camera, I LOVE the image I get from it, and I'm looking forward to any hack coming.