Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Collecting for GH3 and FZ200
  • As Photokina is over, and all donations collected went to our team already, we are starting collecting money towards two cameras.

Best mirrorless upcoming camera, and best existing ultrazoom.

Disclaimer.
    This projects can be quite long shot, as it was in case of GH2.
    As it is completely new cameras, new hardware and many other new things.

So, check proper option and click button on top.

• 232 Replies sorted by
  • @drbuckballs there is a work around for your predicament which can be found here.. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5901/panasonic-gh3-japanese-model-/p2

• Hi there, are there any updates or do I need to learn japanese? I hope all is going well.

• ahhh the suspense is killing me

• @jmseight

It is controlled by lens firmware, I guess. Or pure mechanics.

• Hi Vitaliy,

Looking through the lens of my FZ200, I noticed that at f2.8 the aperture diaphragm looks closed down more at wide angle compared to telephoto. If this were true, it may imply that at the wide angle setting, it may be possible to open the aperture diaphragm even more to achieve a larger aperture value than f2.8. Maybe the optical performance is not good enough with larger aperture diaphragm. But do you think this can be controlled by firmware?

James

• Yea, it seems that he had something for us, but he said that sometime after NAB he will post status updates... No need to be sarcastic :)

• Patience........ the vast majority of us here can only begin to scratch the surface of complexity involved in a hack.

• Forgive me oh mighty great one JOFO, 'What you mean exactly? GH3?' gave me the impression he had something to disclose to us all :)

• You are here too short to know that pushing VK don't have positive effect on posting updates :) He said that after NAB we'll get some status update, so be patient.

• @Vitaliy_kiselev we need some sort of information :)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev yesss give us some info on GH3 :)

• Yes :) the GH3

• Is there an update on how near we are to it being available publicly?

What you mean exactly? GH3?

• I do not own a GH3 yet but This all Gh3 stuff is gonna be very very fun and one heck of a lot interesting story. fingers crossed.wow.

• Is there an update on how near we are to it being available publicly?

• Hi Vitaliy, as a pro user of the GH3 I have to say I really appreciate your efforts, well done. And one suggestion I would like to make for the upcoming GH3 hack is this - to put some manual controls into the excellent but flawed High Dynamic mode. It's currently useless as a professional tool due to the wandering shutter speed, meaning it's impossible to get rid of light flicker. Simply being able to set shutter speed to a specific value like 100 would be a HUGE improvement.

Other than that I think you have everything covered, like focus peaking, PAL/NTSC switching, more frame/bit rates, etc.

Great work, keep it up. I'm sure you've raised enough for R&D by now, so if and when you release a usable hack I'll make a $100 gratitude donation.

Cheers.

• @Vitaly In your site statistics, you probably find "GH3 hack" as one of the most searched terms. And yet, there is no proper thread for this. I know that there is no hack yet, and that we "should not be worried about it", but is it rude of me to ask to open an new Discussion, with the basic info on where we stand now, and what are the obstacles?

PS: If the reason for this secrecy is that Panasonic people are reading here and you dont want to give them any information on this, then dont reply to this at all, I understand then. :)

• The Internet interest in a GH3 hack got a significant bump now with the firmware announcement, and I have the numbers to prove it :)

My joke video was getting 5-15 plays a day for a long while (after it fell down from the initial high counts and google put it on the first page when you search gh3 hack), and the high points were on the weekends. For the last 4-5 days however the numbers are now in the 20-30 range, with highest counts monday and tuesday.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, got it, thanks! Exciting times!

• @kellar42, check posts two pages before current.

• @Vitaly_Kislev do we need more money to get you a body?

• With WIFI-support I can see many uses for OpenSSL.

• There's a menu option on the GH3 which displays the OpenSSL license and a Khronos Group license. So they're using OpenSSL and OpenGL in the firmware. What the hell do they need OpenSSL for on a camera? To implement HDCP encryption? Or is OpenSSL used to encrypt the firmware? Was the OpenSSL attribution already included on the GH2 menu or is that new? Hopefully they haven't used stronger encryption for the firmware.

The CPU on the camera, is that an ARM SoC?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions