Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • Other thing I'm liking about the GH3 is that it's a world cam. Panasonic did a good job here also. Remember the pain of getting 25p?

• I don't know why people keep saying the sensor is from Sony. On Panny's site I read yesterday it said "sensor made by Panasonic." Please don't tell me to find it....but I know what I read.

Also,in regards to the "Genesis" softness issues...I think it was the way they processed it in post. Myhint was the timelapse shot being soft(ish) also. I bet this cam can put out some sharp images.

• You guys are going to look funny if the cam ships with 4:2:2 uncompressed output.

I like this camera already, but I am withholding judgement until I see some footage out of a production model. It has a lot of stuff that I wanted- bitrate increase, more of a pro build, increased DR (supposedly), among a few other things. I ordered the MFT BMCC when it was announced. If the GH3 delivers to the point of what I think it will do, it will make a fabulous B-Cam. I'll sell one of my two Gh2 bodies (don't know if I can EVER give them both up) and spend the $ on the 3. I watched Genesis on my 42" and there were some issues there, but it looked frigging good!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Why not? At least you you represent most if not all "serious" video users of the GH2/3.

• They should have consulted Vitali for their codec engineering team

Nope, they should not.

• They should have consulted Vitali for their codec engineering team ;)

Or is he already working for them? o_O

• Guess who is going to win this year?

Panasonic.

• Panasonic is still thinking of just the camera. Blackmagic is thinking about the entire pipeline.

Guess who is going to win this year?

• Well, I guess it's Black Magic Camera for me. I was really looking forward to 60fps... but I just can't justify spending over $1000 on a camera without 4:2:2 anymore.

Where's Voldemort? We need someone to start blasting Panasonic. :)

HDMI output claims are all unfounded by now.

Really? I thought thought someone said they had confirmed it?

• @GH2UW

I already rold you that all this going in circles has no foundation.

HDMI output claims are all unfounded by now.

As for encoder, LSI and memory always have certain constrains. And no experts can fix it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Somewhere in all the marketing palaver I remember Pana said it "consulted 100 experts". Did no one request 4:2:2?

Is it by coincidence that giving us 4:2:2 would make this a camera accepted by BBC as "HD broadcast compliant"?

• I think a certain reality is creeping in. With all the rumors we had with peaking, xlr adapter etc. most of us build up too much expectation. We thought that Panasonic would have brought a revolution, embrace the gh2 hack followers movement, instead it is more of an evolution that will lack enough things so that it will not cannibalize or overshadow present or some future pro camera. I am sure we will find some of those what we think missing, in a higher end camera like proper 422, peaking, etc

We are getting some proper upgrade like better codec, seems DR and lowlight, better built quality also and surely less Jelo but sometime at the expense of a larger sensor for video. In the end when all the emotion will have died down, the gh3 will still be the nicest dslr for video, but not quite what the rumors have build it up to. I think to find a truly inovative company we will have to look at smaller players like Blackmagic.

• @GH2UW

LOL, nope.

Most funny thing is that Panasonic is the best company if you consider consumer feedback.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes ...thank you. That is my point.

I still think GH3 will be nice camera...but with very little extra effort it would have been fantastic!

• @GH2UW

Generally, they do not need to consult anyone.

• Well now that the cam is revealed, I am sure if people keep bitching here for another week, Panasonic will release it with 10bit and 422 :) Also, in another week, their CEO will release a video praising the sensor abilities (if he even knows what that is). So yeah, keep bitching.

• Also...who did they consult to give us not-multi-aspect sensor. As always they do exactly what they want. Never lose sight of that!

@ Vitaliy_Kiselev

So why no 4:2:2...bullshit is in Pana decision/ customer consultation process!

• @GH2UW

Just a lingering result of the old minimalist mind set..."don't give the chooks everything they want...leave something for the next model"

It is just false bullshit.

Even Bloom or the Catman won't get them to change bullshit 4:2:0 in the GH3...

Bloom had been hired to do specific job, not to give suggestions.

• @BlueBomberTurbo

You need archive parts :-)

• This talk about pleading with Panasonic to give us 4:2:2 is pretty funny. They could easily do it if they wanted to. Just a lingering result of the old minimalist mind set..."don't give the chooks everything they want...leave something for the next model" (i.e. via a simple firmware change). Old habits die hard in corporate Nippon.

Even Bloom or the Catman won't get them to change bullshit 4:2:0 in the GH3...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev How do you open those sample image ZIP files? I can see inside them, but I get an error when I try to extract anything. Using WinRAR.

• Hmmm, actually I know I saw the wiki link, but I am struggling to find it. Is this the right one ?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_LUMIX_DMC-GH3

• True that Vitaliy. I think I have an addiction to this thread though, as much as I loathe it at times.

• @mee

Don't like to read, just check wiki :-)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions