Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic FZ200 topic, 24x zoom with constant F2.8 aperture
  • 350 Replies sorted by
  • @trevmar Thanks for the sujestion, but I already tried in those three positions and in most of the cases it didnt helped much.

• I don't understand how you can shoot a video at 60fps with a shutter speed of 1/8? The minimum shutter speed must be 1/60, right? Am i missing something?

• No, a perfect shutter speed for 60fps is 1/120. For 50fps 1/100, but you can drop it to 1/60, 1/50, or even 1/30 but at 1/30 you have to consider huge motion blur... You will still achieve slow motion effect if wanted, but it won't be as good as it is at 1/120 or 1/100.

• POWER O.I.S. Stabilization test

• The reason I drop the shutter speed is to obtain less noise on indoor footage. Running with a 1/30 shutter gives excellent video for YouTube (etc) with a 2-stop advantage over the 1/120 suggested above. Incidentally, I prefer a 1/60 shutter at 60p over 1/120 for exactly the same reason - lower image noise.

In any case, the 1/120 value comes from Film Movie Cameras -- which had a 50% shutter, which could remain open for only half the 24p frame, before the film had to be physically moved to the new frame. I am not convinced that the eye 'prefers' this, I find that a shutter speed of 1/60 at a 60fps frame rate gives good motion blur, and prevents the "jerkiness" you often see on digital video.

• @trevmar I agree, unless I'm planning to do slowmotion, I don't see a reason for using 180 degree shutter rule when filming 50 or 60 fps. Other thoughts on this?

• Hey Vitaliy - How is the hacking going? :) Any progres already?

• wielkiczarnyafgan said

No, a perfect shutter speed for 60fps is 1/120

Not sure where you got that idea. The standard shutter speed for 60-fps video cameras is 1/60 s. 1/120 s might be preferable if you were slowing down the footage and you wanted to match the shutter angle of video shot at 24 or 30 fps.

• Hey Vitaliy - How is the hacking going? :)

All is ok. But it won't be made fast, I told this right from the start.

• Vitaliy- ok

balazer - I meant shutter speed for using slow motion also.

• The standard shutter speed for 60 FPS is indeed 1/120. Its 180 degree shutter. Anyhow for higher FPS its less important that for 24p.

• I don't want to get too far off topic here, but Meierhans, you are wrong. Just go look at a bunch of professional video cameras and the guys who use them.

• @meirhans While I agree that film cameras were limited to 180 degree shutters due to mechanical limitations, electronic shutters can achieve much closer to a 360 degree shutter, motion blur that is pretty well continuous. Why would you deprecate the smoother motion blur from a 360 degree shutter, such as from the FZ200 at AVCHD 30p?

• Here's a quick test since I just got mine. Wanted to see what a cheap lav mic would sound going straight into the camera as I'm not very impressed with the onboard mics so far:

Shot at ISO 400, f2.8, 1/60th at 1080p60 then exported through Premiere CS5 as 720p23.976. Audio was a little hot so did a little noise reduction in post.

Video wise, it was showing as almost a full stop underexposed while shooting, but the final shot almost seems overexposed to me on the left side of the frame. I did desaturate a little in premiere as well as apply a modest helping of Neat Video denoising. Looking forward to doing some more testing. It's a nice little camera and very similar in form to my GH2. Would love to see a hack for it. The zoom is outstanding!

Tony

• @evero @trevmar +1. Unless slowmotion take, 1/60 shutter for 60p.

• I had the impression that higher shutter speeds was preferable because at least gives the chance to use slowdown later if we want to. Is there any reason why we should use 1/50 instead of 1/100 shutter speed when filming in 50p?

• Ok, figured out how to make the Rode Videomic sound better going into the FZ200. Enabled High Pass filter, switched to -20dB pad.

Compared to the AT3350 in the video a few posts back... what do you think? Suggestions, tips, tricks...?

Thanks,

Tony

• Sorry for offtopic: There is the 180 degree shutter rule. Here the link again. http://tylerginter.com/post/11480534977/180-degree-shutter-learn-it-live-it-love-it

The reason for it is that shorter shutter will result in stroboscopic motion (ryan ..beach..) and longer will blur away too much detail. Anyhow you are free to shoot at any shutter you like. And as said before the rule is less important for 50p/60p than it is for 24p.

• @Meierhans

"Well the difference is when you’re dealing with digital cinema, filming at a greater than 180 degree shutter (which you should NEVER EVER do), allows each frame to contain too much motion blur which results in a “smeary” look"

I disagree. I disagree totally, and I doubt we will ever find common ground on using a 360 degree shutter. Your still-image showing motion blur is a still-image. When the eye sees motion blur as part of a moving image, and interprets it as motion, a larger degree of smoothness may be preferred. Frankly, I don't care what film-cameras were able to do. We have better equipment these days, and we should be seeking to use it to its full potential.

No disrespect intended. This is a subjective thing. And that is why I don't like newbies being discouraged from experimenting to find the optimum settings for their equipment, and their scene. Sometimes (in my case, nearly always) they might prefer a 360 degrees shutter :)

• I have conducted my own experiment for all the combinations for noise reduction and sharpness in standard photo style. You can see the results here:

http://www.vilayatours.com/fz200/noise-and-sharpness.html

I am sure the expriment could be improved on. I look forward to hearing your comments.

Rob

• @RobDover The test images look good. The diagonal from -2,-2 to +2,+2 looks particular uniform. I would choose somewhere along this, I think. With my preference at -2,-2 and using RAW. I can easily get JPEGs for web use from the thumbnails in the RW2 images :)

I started playing with the Silkypix Pro 5 today -- its noise reduction is really, really, good. But the HDR mode is superb. I was surprised how much detail it could bring into images I already thought were excellent -- just using the data from the RAW RW2 file to composite an HDR image...

• There is a lot to play around with this camera. On another forum they are suggesting i-res use as well. I am still trying to work out Silkypix (got use to ACR).

• @RobDover Thanks you for sharing your experience with us. Much appreciated. I have made some similar experiences for myself, and while I'm still experimenting I'm using -2NR -2Sharp and in some cases -1NR -2Sharp (I find that Sharpness above -2 creates allot of noise in the Jpgs). Both with iRes ON because I think it helps a little with sharpening the image. I'm now shooting in Raw+jpg and I think the Raw after processing (removing noise and other tweaks) are amazing. At first I was a little disappointed with the camera, but now I'm enjoying this camera allot. I wish the macro was better though (I can't zoom close enough for my taste without losing focus) and sometimes when I try manual focus I still have difficulty in getting the focus perfect, even with the focus assist ON, but I think its lack of practice of my part and I will get better accuracy while I continue using the camera (focus peaking would be a nice hack if was possible for this camera).

• Some Image Quality test series ( everything was shot at PSH Full HD, ISO 100-320 ( 200-640 in GH2 scale ) [ except the candle light shots ] )

Files straight from camera:

• And the candle light shots ( ISO 1000 [ ISO 2000 GH2 equivalent ] )