Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Who destroyed the middle class?
  • 29 Replies sorted by
  • The devaluation of the dollar and interest rate fluctuation closely mimik that graph I believe. it's also a reason why the stock market looks so high right now. Take into consideration the devaluation of the dollar and the stock market looks much worse than it is.

• This is what the JPMorgan Chase investor newsletter, Eyes on the Market, of July 11, 2011, had to say on this question:

[P]rofit margins have reached levels not seen in decades. The challenge, which we have discussed many times before: what is driving these margins? One useful way to deconstruct profits is to measure them from peak to peak, and analyze what changed. As shown in the first chart, S&P 500 profit margins increased by 1.3% from 2000 to 2007. There are a lot of moving parts in the margin equation, but as shown in the second chart, REDUCTIONS IN WAGES AND BENEFITS EXPLAIN THE MAJORITY OF THE NET IMPROVEMENT IN [PROFIT] MARGINS. This trend has continued; as we have shown several times over the last two years, US labor compensation is now at a 50-year low relative to both company sales and US GDP (see EoTM April 26, 2011).

Note that this analysis only goes through 2007; it's far worse now. U.S. corporate profits are at record highs, despite the depression economy.

• Man, that's hardcore stuff. I'm buying land so I can grow stuff to eat...and maybe smoke.