Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Our cinema RIG
  • 64 Replies sorted by
  • @Psyco I was only pointing out the Arduino as an option. Yes , if you stick with some sort of signal coming via USB, you'll need to get usb pins 2 and 3 from your wifi transmitter connected to your stepper motor driver (and yes a shield will do it, as in http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/arduino-shields/usb-host-shield-2-0-for-arduino).

Once again, that's overkill. But in case you were hoping to connect the stepper motor to USB using analogue or logical pulses only, the ICs like nand-gate switches and buffers you'll need are already best used bundled into prototype stage circuit boards like Bssic Stamp, Pic and, best of all, Arduino. Once it works, you could look for something more elegant, (even a patent!)

• @goanna thanks für the furhter information. So, I will need 2x Arduino Mainboards, 2x USB shields and maybe 1x motor shield - thats a lot of electronics :-(

I think, going via USB is the most future proof way. But I'm still not sure if the Arduino will do, what I need it for - and all the desciptions I read so far about the USB shields don't tell me if and how I use them as a host device. I just don't want to buy all this stuff, figuring out how to work with it and then realize that it will never do what I bought it for.

Have you used Arduino? Anybody else?

• @psyco

Arduinos are simple enough, however note that the standard library for the Arduino is blocking. Have a look at this library:

http://www.open.com.au/mikem/arduino/AccelStepper/

This will simplify stuff.

I used a similar approach on my crane head control:

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/78784#Comment_78784

• @andyharris thanks, missed that thread somehow.

Can you give some more details what controller boards you where using and how that joystick is built?

• And here is a link to a successful arduino project .. this has inspired me to order the servo motor shield they use

• @goanna @andyharris @kavadni you really got me convinced that the Arduion route is the way to go ;-)

First I really have to check the USB back channel on my wireless system (how it responds to direct voltage pulses). But if thats turns out to need USB controller chips I will buy an Arduino package and learn how to programm it.

With the Arduino it will also be possible to controll the focus motor from a Laptop with preprogrammed focus points. Quite some work ahead, but looks interesting. Thanks for all your input.

PS: Stage 2 of my rig is nearly finished - hand held Steadycam system (vest and arm are stage 3).

• @psycho .. I bought this as a starting point .. and an arduino .. and $20 bucks worth of prototyping wire and things .. http://www.adafruit.com/products/81

Something to play with on my notebook during forced daytime renders.

• Hey guys, after checking the USB back channel again, I'm sure it needs a USB host controller (as there was no simple on/off signal transmitted).

So, I will go the Arduino way.

Using an Arduino UNO and a www.iteadstudio.com Dual Step Motor shield 1.0 to controll a stepper motor from my Mac will be the first step. After that I will add a USB shield and incremental encoder to complete the package.

@kavadni a servo won't work, as it is loud and has only a very limited angle of rotation.

@andyharris thanks for the link to the stepper controll library - I hope it works with the iteadstudio shield?

• @psycho, that shield controls either 4 dc motors, 2 steppers, or 2 servos :)

Personally I am using steppers .. there are continuous rotation servos, and also ways to modify standard servos

• All cool ideas, but what is the use of a servo FF when you can't use it on a sound take?

• @rockroadpix

There's more than one way to skin a cat

• Well, having used microforce zoom controls when I was operating on arris (backinnaday), I became very used to controlling zoom that way. There used to be an Israeli company that made them cheaper than the $6K models. I don't think they are around any more...

• Progress...

Steady-Rig.jpg
    512 x 983 - 193K
  • psyco that rig is fantastic. I plan on building my own in the near future and any advice you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated. My brother is a mechanical engineering student so I have access to any machine I would need (CNC, lathe, drills etc.) But he's very busy with studies so he wouldn't be able to help much with the actual design/build.

You said you cut everything from solid aluminum blocks - how did you go about doing this? Some of those parts looks very complicated. Also, can you show me any resources (books, forums) you used for direction? Lastly, did you anodize the parts? I did some research yesterday and it seems to be a fairly simple project.

• FUCK OLYMPUS SUPPORT!!!! Sorry, but I'm really pissed.

All is working fine, I can controll a little Nema8 stepper motor with the Arduino, the motor fits just under the lens, turns the focus ring on my Tokina 11-16 smooth and precise, but...

...but not on my (fucking expensive) Olympus 14-35 and 35-100 lenses because the focus ring is just way to hard to turn. To much for the little motor.

So, I contacted Olympus Support by email and asked, how much it would cost to reduce dampening on the focus ring. Answer, sorry but you have to send the lens in for any repair, we can't tell you anything without seeing the lens.

Next try, via email. Trying to explain that I don't need to send my lens to them, because it is no different to a new one next to the tech guy. Answer, sorry, blablabla...you have to send it in.

Third try, phone. Explaining the "problem" again (after 30min the call centre guy finally understood what I want). Answer, he will ask a tech guy and phone back.

Fourth try, phone. After not getting any recall I just called them again. Answer, it is not possible.......(WTF?)....he asked two(!) tech guys, and it is absolutely not possible for Olympus to change the dampening on there own Top Pro lenses.

Bottom line, I know that the dampening can be changed on every lens as its nothing else then controlled friction (normally a grease is used), but Olympus refuses to do such a thing even with there Top Pro lenses (and we were not even talking about a price point for the job). Thats exactly the kind of "support" that will drive pro user to use products from another company. No I'm sitting here with two very nice lenses and just thinking of getting rid of them :-(

• @dumile sorry, didn't see your post until now (don't add a space between @ and the name or I won't see it as a reply;-).

First: Be carefull, this professional machines are dangerous - you might loose an arm or be dead before you know what hit you. I would advise you to get your brother show you how everything is done properly and that he is allways near by, just in case.

Sorry, but I can't help you with books or forums. I had a basic training for about 3 month, starting with cuting steel by hand, drilling 10000000 holes, cuting threads, measuring,... all by hand or with small machines. Just after leraning all this (and getting some bleeding fingers) I learned about how to use the big machines. I had a dedicated teacher that would "explain" things to me. It wasn't hard for me to learn all this in such a short time (normally its done in about 2 years), as I have worked with wood for years (and I might have some talent for things like that;-).

I have also designed lots of other things/parts before. Its nothing you can learn from a book. You just have to try, make mistakes, try again and develop your own workflow. Technical drawings help a lot (thats something you can learn from a book, but that needs practice too). And its always a good idea to look how it has been done before - I got a lot of ideas from the Steadycam and Sachtler pictures on the internet.

After getting a first design of the whole system I start looking at the individual parts. I try to think it that way: 1) Whats the purpose of the part/what do i want it to do? 2) How will it look/how strong has it to be? 3) Does it fit into the rest of the project/Can I reach all screws when its in place? 4) Do I like its look/does it feel right? ....after doing that for every part, I start all over again till I'm sure I won't waste 100 hours on some parts that don't work;-) For the most complex parts and especially to test if they will fit with all other parts I used a 3D programm. I used Cinema 4D and in one case even made a stereoscopic video of some parts rotating to check if they really fit.

After all parts were designed and all technical drawings were finished, I startet cutting them. I just got some aluminium blocks from Ebay, a small milling machine (its normally only used to cut wood) and drilling machine from a store, and the cross table again from Ebay. It does make a horrible sound when cutting through a solid block of metall and is not really save (but I still have all fingers and eyes;-). First make a raw cut to just get some material out of the way. Second do a fine cut to get everything like planned. For aluminium you should work as precise as 0,05mm when parts have to fit into each other. If its no special part you still should be as precise as 0,2mm. Try to work as precise as possbile at the start, things will get worse by itselfe:-P

I didn't treat the raw aluminium parts in any way. It will get dull by itselfe after a some time. So, I will paint the whole rig black when everything is finished. But I still have to design and built the arm and vest and I don't have the time for it at the moment. And thanks to (fucking) Olympus I have to redesign the wireless focus unit first:-(

I hope there was at least a littel bit of usefull information in this very long text. Oh, and one thing - it was a very nice feeling after cutting/drilling/... for about 2 years when I could assemble the whole rig for the first time...very nice :-)))

• Haha i ditched my Varicam to go DSLR, and here you have people spending good money turning their small cams into monster machines. With that money spent on the carcass, you could have bought yourself a used broadcast camera.

• @kazuo

And what do I want a small sensor kamera for? The rig is a steadycam system - no kamera has that built into it. Without that its a pretty small and lightweight camera/rig.

If you doing handheld homevideos, than I do agree that a Varicam or this rig is overkill - but thats not what I intend to do;-)

• @psycho quick question. Isnt the olympus lens focus by wire? Was looking to get them but was afraid a follow focus would not be accurate a lot of times. Does it work well with a FF? Thanks.

• @Psyco

What are you getting out of yr small camera, regardless of the size of its sensor? 24, 28 mbps at best? The Varicam will give you AVC Intra 100 without batting an eyelid. If you are using any DSLR, you need to hack your camera to get there. Or better still, try an external recorder, and hope it yields very clean results without more work in post.

I came over to DSLR because I could no longer handle huge cameras because of back and shoulder pains. What are your reasons?

• @ipcmlr The 35-100mm is focus by wire, but the 14-35mm is friction coupled and would be accurate if you don't turn it beyond the end points. As I'm using it with an external monitor and a dedicated focus puller, it would even work with a focus by wire lens (but it would still be a pain in the ass;-).

@kazuo If you are new you should read up a bit more about some things first. This forum is all about hacking the GH1 and GH2 and there are patches with very high bitrates and all I-frames around.

I'm using a GH2 because its cheap, light, versatile, has a good sensor and lenses are interchangeable (good glas is very important).

So, please don't turn this thread into a "why this or that camera"-thread, there are better places in this forum for things like that. This one here is about (DIY) camera rigs people put together and find usefull.

• @psyco

I am not new. I have been doing film and media for 15 years. I don't profess to know alot, but I am not new ;) I started collecting Carl Zeiss and Leica lenses 10 years ago, and I have a substantial suite today, so i know abit about vintage glass.

IS GH2 the first and only camera you've used in your life?

All I was trying to point out to you and everyone who's reading is that sometimes it's not necessary to spend so much money pimping your camera in a certain way. An impressive looking rig will not make you a better cameraman. Even if you disagree, you dun have to be dismissive my friend.

• Seriously Kazuo, let the man(*) use the cam he want the way he want... giving the effort he's putting into building his rig, I think he clearly know why this cam and not another (certainly not to look "impressive"). Some people like to build very complicated stuff (a steadycam with a motorized FF, damn!) I barely know how to change a bulb but it look fun...

(*) either a noob or a legendary god-giffted DP collecting Angenieux lenses since his coffin - who care ?

• @kazuo

I mean new, as new to this forum. And no, the GH2 is not my first camera.

And whats your point? Having no rig doesn't make me a better cameraman either. I built that rig because I can. It was fun (most of the time). And buying something that comes even close to this would have cost much more than I'm willing to spend. I spent about 1/100 of the cost of a Steadycam or Sachtler or Arri.

I wanted one piece of equipment to make shoots with camera movement - my decision was: camera stabiliser, because its the moste versatile option.

So, whats the problem? If you also want one - sorry - there is only this prototype;-)

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters