Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon T4i / 650D official topic
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • It still hasn't been really tested ? We should wait for actual hands-on reviews before commenting, like at what ISO does unacceptable noise appear, and how it's shaped.

Other than that, specs and pice put this really on the level of the GH2 (apparently canon 650D is not weather sealed either ? ). At least it uses the same battery as 600D, which can't be said of GH2 after GH1 (i don't care, never had GH1, but i guess GH3 will have yet another battery, which is not all too bad because the GH2 battery is a bit short :s )

• Some low light test footage! Looks pretty darn nice.

• Canon is setting the consumer-video bar pretty high... going to be a tough battle. I hope i won't regret having just invested in a GH2.

• @Zeko, I don't think you will regret it.

Over the past few weeks, I have been thinking long and hard about buying an entry level (D3200 or 650D) or high end Nikon D800 or Canon 5D MkIII to improve my photo's and have access to a 2nd video camera but I have decided to stick with my trusty GH2 and I bought a 2nd one yesterday.

It never ceases to amaze me with the video quality you can get out of such a small little package (with Vitaliy's hack and various other folks patches)

• @gib : yea, i totally admit that the quality is amazing (except for panning in 24 25p :s still have to figure that out in post)... but still, it's taking a bet on micro 4/3... so now i'm left wondering whether i should continue investing in micro43 lenses (panny 25mm is already ordered, i won't back down), or rather on an adapter and use other lenses, like Canon FD.... (just in case the micro43 becomes extinct and i'm forced to join the masses :D ). -- Sorry, always have my head full of doubts :s

• @Zeko

Do not worry, you can't use Canon FD lenses on Canon FE cameras (without very bad adapters with lenses).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev or u need very expensive adapter with good correctinal lens by canon (price 2000$!!!! and hard to get by).

• oooppps just found one on ebay price is 3200$.you can get a lot of nikkors for that price. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Genuine-Canon-FD-EOS-converter-FD-EOS-original-adapter-adaptor-convertor-/150467746806

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev : thanks, i didn't know that :s now i have a better understanding of the micro43 advantage in lens compatibility... (i had no idea that a good adapter and correctional lens would cost up to 3200 bucks :s )

• @hank , WOW, i got shock !

• Image quality wise, I see no improvement over 600d :(

• Good news on the rack focus! It has it built-in.

• Camera is already in stock (see first post).

Really good example for Panasonic.

• Any good moire/aliasing tests yet? I can't find any myself. Downloadable files straight out of the camera preferable.

• From the article below, it does not seem too good. About the same as previous generation Cannons. I would not be happy to be a hybrid Canon shooter right now. There seems to be no innovation, just small to very small incremental change and some big incoherence. How can the $ 800 body have auto-focus while the $ 3500 does not. No one can say that Cannon could not wait two month to put it in the 5d3. I mean, I can understand that technology advances and that 2/3 years after the launch of my D300, the d7000 has clearly superior image quality for example. And that 4 years after the cheapest d3200 has even better quality even if it is the lowest model. But two month. I guest the next big improvement in the 5d mark4 will be auto-focus and that at Canon rhythm you will get a no moirer/alias, 10 bit, proper 1080p, large sensor camera in 2022.

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/06/test-videos-canon-t4i-is-it-worth-upgrade/

• I've been shooting on the T2i for two years now...moving to GH2...maybe GH3 if it comes out soon. Just saying.

• Some pictures from teardown:

Last one shows phase detection elements on sensor.

Via: http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/recent-teardowns/2012/07/inside-the-canon-rebel-t4i-dslr/

teardown.jpg
    800 x 574 - 119K
    teardown1.jpg
    800 x 604 - 113K
    teardown2.jpg
    800 x 474 - 109K
    teardown3.jpg
    800 x 446 - 87K
    teardown4.jpg
    800 x 359 - 76K
    teardown6.jpg
    800 x 604 - 82K
  • As usual Nauticam is one of the first to offer a underwater housing:

Via: http://www.nauticamusa.com/nusa/2012/9/20/announcing-canon-t4i650d.html

Nauticam_17306_16.jpg
    800 x 466 - 255K
    Nauticam_17306_10.jpg
    800 x 473 - 299K
  • I know this is an old thread, but a fellow film school student who is in my motion picture production group for this year, bought himself a 650D in November 2012. He returned it a month later because of a dead pixel near the centre of the sensor. It was clearly visible in the videos taken with the camera. He received another 650D as a replacement and only yesterday discovered that the replacement 650D also has a dead pixel, this time in the bottom right of the image - clearly visible once again in videos taken. It seems to be a rather common issue with this camera. I don't know if there's a way to fix/repair these dead pixels, but if you buy this camera, make sure to check your videos carefully for possible dead or stuck pixels before you go on a shoot.

If you are considering buying this camera, keep in mind that Canon APS-c cameras are severely handicapped when it comes to shooting wide in low light. Ironically, even though APS-c has a smaller crop factor than m43, there are much faster and more affordable wide angle lenses available for m43. Usually on forums it is listed as an advantage of a Canon dslr that it has more lens options than the GH2, but I find this to be misleading. The only affordable prime my 650D friend could afford is the Canon 50mm f1.4, which is basically worthless for any form of low light wide shooting, especially indoors. M43 has the 12mm Noktor f1.6 and 14mm and 20mm Panasonic pancakes, all much more affordable and much FASTER than any wide angle available for Canon APS-c cameras. The cheapest wides for APS-c are either f2.8 or f3.5, and still very pricy.

The NOSTALGIC movie mode on the GH2 also provides fantastic low light performance and makes up for the smaller sensor size. Compare standard mode in video vs nostalgic mode and you'll clearly see the huge boost that nostalgic gives you.

• Shot on 600D, but it is almost the same.