Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Manual Lenses and radioactivite?
  • 77 Replies sorted by
  • With all due respect Vitaliy (and it is allot of respect), I did not mean to imply there has not been a reduction in electrical use, or ramifications. However as a whole Japan is doing much better than most expected. Most people in the country have an attitude that they can do without nuclear energy, and I believe they are correct. My grandfather died from nuclear exposure working at Hanford as a subcontractor, and as a whole I do not trust the industry at all. I'm not sure what you mean by "middle class expermination", but most of my life has been led in poverty and right now I am right on the line. I support banning nuclear energy because it will never be 100% safe, it is replaceable, and it is no where near as cost effective as they would have you believe.

Call me nuts, but I think the aftermath of the disaster is going to spawn some serious innovation in Japan around the energy industry. They have such an all for one mentality, and whether you agree with it or not, I think they are going to be one of the leaders of the green future revolution.

• @mee

I really wish you to ask professionals from production and energy sectors.
    World is competitive place, and as most Japan media are still controlled from outside (as many European ones), idea to ban nuclear power can provide good competitive advantage.
    Gonsidering all this personal horrors. Such thing as statistic say that worst are the coal driven stations. But coal is still major energy sources in most highly developed countries, how could it be that media do not fight to ban them?

• The generators and batteries that were destroyed by the flood were on the bottom floor of the reactor buildings. Another little known fact is that the design plans from GE said they should be installed in the top so that floods wouldn't take them out. The Japanese company who ran the reactors decided that it would cost too much money to put them on the upper floors and decided that the basement was the cheapest place.

Nuclear power didn't cause the disaster, human greed and stupidity did.

• @Vitaliy, I completely agree about coal, and unfortunately Japan has been using older non nuclear boilers to compensate which are said to be pretty dirty. I am not sure if they are coal, but it would be my assumption. I actually would like to do a documentary on the post meltdown situation from a very 360 degree perspective here, but don't really have the resources or skill. My personal perspective is that economy's come and go, the earth is here to stay, but so is nuclear waste.

@svart Yes the generators were in the wrong place, but it is believed the earthquake actually cracked the containment vessel on at least one reactor.

@all, please realize me and my wife kept a very close eye on all of this for the first 9 months of living here, yes we watched the mainstream news in Japan (which at times accidentally revealed more than they meant to) but much of what we learned came from experts outside the mainstream circle, simple research on nuclear energy, which helped greatly in reading between the lines of both the underplayed, and over hyped sources. That being said it was exhausting, and I have spent the last 5 months trying to learn about how to be as good as some of you with my little GH2 (need at least another 5 years on that one). So the bottom line is, I don't care to dig up all the web pages I visited and do all the research again, nor argue it. So I urge you to do your own research if it matters to you, if not please excuse me for bowing out of this conversation.

P.S. I could have ruled this discussion 6 months ago =)

• @mee, unfortunately that's not possible for the earthquake to crack a steel containment vessel, as not only is it one of the strongest structures designed by man, made of feet thick steel, but it is usually suspended off the ground in pressurized water reactors.

The loss of coolant flow due to the failed batteries/generators caused the resulting hydrostatic pressure to rise due to expansion of the hot fluids and of the contained steam, which resulted in cracking and bursting of the containment vessel.

Now, the containment building was cracked by the earthquake, but that's inconsequential by itself. Without the containment vessel bursting, there would have been no radiation leaks.

• @svart it did happen no matter what the reason so it COULD happen again. The reactors are run by humans not gods and mistakes do happen. if you spill a glass of water is ok, but in the proportion of a nuclear plant even a small mistake has very long and potentially deadly results...If i can choose (referendum, etc) i will be against nuclear power in this old way. the only reasonable future for nuclear power should be this(much more cleaner and safer):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power

Back to the lenses - I own some old american made 16 mm film lenses(50,60s?) so sometimes i wonder if they came from some military surplus places and maybe have been used to film some of the open air explosions(i don't see them glowing or anything at night ;) but yet... ok, just a little paranoid i guess but you never know ; )

As far as the mainstream media there is always indymedia.

• everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in !! har har.

Anyways, I am having trouble finding the report on the crack which predated the explosions, but here is a link that shows how such a thing is very possible. If it happened with one, it could happen with another.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-23/fukushima-engineer-says-he-covered-up-flaw-at-shut-reactor.html

• OK, convinced. Getting rid of my Takomar lens.

• Sigh - just as a quick poll for laughs and giggles, who in this thread has any kind of Physics qualification?

• Not I.

• I took a number of physics classes while getting my engineering degree.. does that count? :)

• Very late on this thread. Canon discontinued the wonderful thorium versions of the FD 35mm f2 because of a real hazard towards factory workers and not a danger to consumers. Thorium oxide and thorium glass put out alpha particles/rays. Your skin will shield you from most alpha rays. Some of the very short lived by products of the decay will put out minute amounts of beta and gamma. Alpha producing thorium materials are dangerous when ingested and the thorium oxide will be in direct physician contact with your bodies cells. As the thorium oxide is embedded in inert glass you cannot absorb the thorium unless the glass is pulverized or powders and then ingested...such as when factory workers grind lenses. Even when these lenses were made, manufacturers were aware of the radioactivity of thorium. They intentionally never used thorium glass for eyepieces or viewfinder optics as the glass would be millimeters from the eye with no shielding. Some people recommend using glass UV filters with a highly refractive glass to filter some alpha particles and prevent the thorium element from being broken or scratched. In the event a thorium lens is broken you are advised to clean up the mess carefully. Avoid getting glass splinters and if you do make sure you remove them promptly. A household smoke detector puts out more radiation. Vintage jadeite and vaseline glass is colored with traces of uranium and is still considered food and beverage safe. Just don't eat the thorium glass or put it in the reach of kids who put things into their mouths. Great lens. I got mine for $350 and I love it.

• @soundgh2 I took a lot of physics in college -- it's one of the requirements for coaching football. I also took some dance classes -- but that was mainly to meet chicks.

• Me, having a Diploma in Physics (and giving lectures in Physics).

1. I don't sleep with any lenses close by. Wouldn't worry about the rest as long as you don't eat lens parts.
    2. I don't like nuklear plants, but they are (at the moment) the only alternative from turning off the lights.
    3. Still waiting on nuklear fusion to kick in...

I would recomend: Worry more about your DP skills than radioactivity;-)

• The one consumer downside of thorium glass is that it yellows or browns when the thorium oxides decay as they release alpha particles. When I got my lens the thorium element was brownish. It warmed the image which was fine. I test shot 17% grey cards and my X-Rite Passport Color Checker and any color casts were easily corrected in Lightroom. This could be an issue when shooting color slide film. However the darkened glass had an ND type effect on exposure making the lens less-fast even when shooting at f2. I left the lens in direct sun for a couple of months to lighten the glass because I wanted a faster lens. The warming effect wasn't a deal breaker. I may get a UV flashlight or find a clinic with a UV laser and pay them to clean the glass further.

I hate the term blacklist. Whether discussing thorium glass lens elements or 1950's Hollywood actors with a socially liberal bend, blacklists are created as a product of fear and not real dangers. I also have a set of antique Fireking Jadite tableware which gets it's opalescent green color from radioactive uranium oxide. Old Fireking glass is borosilicate, Pyrex, so it is strong and can withstand very high and below freezing temperatures. Aside from not putting out enough radiation that anything but the most sensitive geiger counters can detect. Even cooking acidic foods in the oven with uranium colored jadeite will not leach any uranium oxide into food or the bodies of people eating off of it.

• @brianluce hehe shit I never saw any girls at Uni in Astrophysics - mind you saw more pub than string theory.

• I have a few radioactive Takumar lenses and am not a bit worried about the potential dangers of them. I've also safely traveled with them through airports where people who have had a recent radiation treatment for cancer can set off the radiation detectors there. The majority of the radiation emitting from the breaking down of the thorium coating on these lenses can be blocked by a couple inches of air. Unless you walking around with one of these lenses firmly pressed against your eyeball for days on end there is very little chance you are going to get cancer from them.

• II do actually have a 35mm F2 concave lens now made with thorium. I do not use it daily because now matter how inert it may be I tend to walk with my camera around my neck and the lens sitting right about my kidneys position, and it's hard to convince my brain it is completely safe. The rear of this lens is about twice as radioactive as the front emitting about 1.5 millisieverts per hour, as upposed to about .75 at the front. The radiation does fall off very quickly with distance, but if my dosimeter is within 3 feet there is a rise from the normal .13 in tokyo to about .15 at 2 feet or less it reaches a bit above .20 which means the alarm starts going off, I forget what it is at 1ft or so, because I try to keep them separated by at least 3 feet at all times to keep from having to recharge my dosimeter batteries all the time from the alarm going off and because I am trying to get an accurate anual reading for Tokyo since the explosions. Anyways, thought that may be of some interest to some.

As for the lens it does take some very very pretty pics, it does have a soft yellow filter effect which I do like, but I am working on reducing by putting the lens to rest in front of a UV light whenever I remember (as the lens sits in front of me and not by the light ^. ^ )

• OMG, my lenses could be radioactive, OMG, quick, i'll sell them......and with the money i'll start smoking to relieve stress :D

Anyway, if we study them, most things around us are potentially dangerous.... (starting with the sun). Three days ago i got a radioactive stuff injected in my body because i needed a renal scintigraphy..... from what i've read, the radiation dose is the same as an X-ray... (it's just a matter of drinking enough to rid the body of the last radioactive particles).

People who live on rocky underground are exposed to radon gas, which is radioactive, and increases chances of having cancer.

Mine workers were also exposed to it.

Uhm, maybe that photographers and videographers could apply for special medical funds seems it's a risky job now :D

• The thread that has a half life longer than Thorium lol

• You get more radiation from a transatlantic flight than sleeping with a Minolta strapped to your face lens has such a tiny microroentgen dose that there's nothing to worry about. 6 hour a day usage (that's 6 hours a day with the camera at your face - that's a lot lol) is equal to 3 cross USA flights No radiation is good for you and it is accumulative. If you have a radioactive lens, most important is to store it well. Put it in a lead or steel box. ..wear a watch with glowy numerals? - best take it off, don't stand near your fridge, swim in the sea, etc etc ... London smog, riding a bike to work , microwave towers, stress, beer, sitting in studios for 9 months a year, living in front of a computer monitor, eating burgers, crossing the road, using a mobile phone ... supporting Liverpool - all bad for your health or potentially lethal Stop worrying about lenses.. And start worrying about food.. People have a lot of time on their hands>Worry more about your DP skills than radioactivity;-) Even cooking acidic foods in the oven with uranium colored jadeite will not leach any uranium oxide into food Unless you walking around with one of these lenses firmly pressed against your eyeball for days on end there is very little chance you are going to get cancer from them. I'd be more worried about the spelling in the title of this thread

We can all have fun & learn something by going to http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ and hovering our mouse-cursors over the little fallacy icons.

• Demonstration of the cumulative effect of radioactivité

"Oh komm onn, Misteer Creosote, eet's juste a little, weffer-thin afteer dinner mint!"

• @Roberto, I love that flick.

I have to say one of my biggest peeves is when people say "everything is dangerous" or "everything gives you cancer". Though many things can give you cancer, many of the things that do are avoidable, and man made problems. Our species started a giant assembly line of products in a very short period of time, and learned much in the process, but many things were not known at the time, and products that were in fact not good for the health of people made their way into our homes and daily lives. Many of which we are only now learning can make us sick. So, we can be idiots and let the products remain unchanged, and even add more products known to be harmful continue to be added to the line, and pretend there is no such thing as accummatalive (spell check) exposure, or we can start trying to use our new found knowledge for positive change.

I aint talking about lenses yo.

• @mee : good example of this is canned food. The invention of canned foods was a great progress in fighting against specific diseases linked to bad food preservation (espescially for sailors).....but it also turned out to have a big downside as it caused lead poisoning, and did so for many decades untill healthy cans were invented.

• @Roberto lol ad hominem methinks