Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 in 24p: noticeable "strobe effect" with any motion in frame?
  • 259 Replies sorted by
  • @mo7ies My point is, is that many actually "don't" see, or notice it that much it becomes a problem. Not that much that they have to compromise with low shutter speeds. If it was that much of a widespread problem we'd all be up in arms about it.

There's a chap on here who can tell the difference between a 1/40 and 1/50 shutter. My eyes certainly can't, and neither can the vast amount of regular viewers. My visual acuity just isn't up to the standard of some of you. I've read through the whole thread, and I still can't fully understand what you are going on about and when the conditions are repeatable.

I'm quite critical, I can usually recognise when something has been pulled up or pulled down, shot with a faster or slower shutter (although not by differences of 1/10). But I just can't see it in this case. I'm not saying you're making it up, far from it, I just don't think it's that big of a problem, especially in contrast to the price ratio of this camera.

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this percieved stutter effect caused by clipped highlights? When highlights are clipped they will create a hard edge on overexposed areas, even when there's motion blur in the image.

I would suggest a motion test where the scene is shot underexposed and then boosted in post, where highlights can be handled better.

• This is spot on mo7ies. I think that next big step making hacks even better, could come out concentrating how fluid is cinematic motion in GH2-videos. I'm not complaining. It's amazing what I can get from a price of GH2 and great hack. But still, I just think that developing better hacks makes better looking film/video/Tv -projects. I'm not a pixel peeper and I think that picture vice there already is many great hacks. But as filmmaker I think at the moment, that if I use GH2 in my film, I must compromise too much if I want to have a cinematic feel and movement in shots. Meaning how fast I can pan or tilt? What kind of objects I can have in a front of a frame during a dolly track? Even how people are moving in a frame, that I wont get any strobing in shot?

Most of the shots I see posted here are static ones. And there is nothing wrong in that, but once a while you need to move your camera. I would like to do it without worrying if can I use that shot in edit.

All the Best.

• @itimjim To be fair, only a select bunch of people need GH2 hacks to begin with. What's your point?

Clearly, here we are talking about people who do care about image / motion quality. Excessive motion strobing on GH2 is very real, and this thread shows that actually MANY people noticed and tried various workarounds to circumvent it. (and some people even gave up using GH2 as video camera altogether because of motion issues!)

Current workaround is to use 1/30 or 1/25 shutter in 24H mode. This introduces more blur than the standard 180-degree shutter (1/50) would, and thus masks/smoothens the strobing.

Question is... do hack developers have any technical ability to fix the strobing at 1/50, and if yes, are they trying?

• To be fair, there's only a select bunch of people that have found this a problem.

• @driftwood @LPowell @Ralph_B

Actually this is a very good question, @MisterJ

Do the esteemed hack developers take into consideration GH2's excessive motion stuttering in 24H mode, and can they do anything at all, technically, to improve (minimize) this unpleasant motion stuttering/strobing at 180deg shutter?

• Many thanks to Astro! And of course to mo7ies, who started this conversation! I've been testing different versions of hacks about 6 months now and haven't been satisfied, how motion is captured in GH2. I'm too in PAL area, but in theatre versions 24p is good way to go. I started testing GH2 hacks, because I thought I could use it in my next feature length documentary film. Image quality in it itself is great, but cinematic motion is another very important issue we need to have to get a real filmic feel for the material. I hope that this conversation is pointing out this important issue to get better quality from already great hacks!

• drops into frame doubling mode, 2 frames the same

Two identical frames @ 50fps =25 fps, (shot on twos). I wonder what this does to shutter-blur?. A single, half-blur, seen twice with a stuttering gap in the middle where un-filmed movement takes place? (!) Best avoided, I think.

• It actually drops into frame doubling mode, 2 frames the same when you step thru them in an editor or player. Sames as the GF cameras, but media-info still reports 50 or 59.94fps. So yeah effectively it is 25 or 29.97fps.

UPDATE, just tried my GH2, it also drops to frame doubling mode when shutter is less than frame rate, but it does hold bitrate better than GH1.

I encountered this when i first used the GH1 2 years ago, i accidentally knocked the thumb wheel in shutter priority mode, bitrate and video IQ was horrible, totally ruined footage.

• When the shutter is less than the frame rate in 720 50/60 on the GH1, the frame rate drops to 25 or 30fps

@Rambo -Just to clarify, If you set your GH1 to 1/25th of a second at 50fps, then the camera will default to 25fps?

The other culprit may be not really locking-in the shutter speed (say in Manual mode) , we've also noticed GH2s resetting a shutter speed [e.g. so as to lower exposure]. This can be the reason behind some under-blurred shots.

• When the shutter is less than the frame rate in 720 50/60 on the GH1, the frame rate drops to 25 or 30fps. Possibly the same thing happens on the GH2 (not actually tried on GH2), plus the bitrate also drops considerably.

• @Mo7ies Hi Yeah I agree...I think its worse when the bit rate is lower and it definitely appears that all I frames seem to work very well on 24P. I am not 100% sure of this yet, but...so far it seems that way from my own tests.

I found Quantam 100 to be very good in 24P and I also found Crossfire to be very very good (incredible actually)... it seems to be the same approach as Quantam (Intra) but the data rate is higher...bloody nice...but hungry LOL!!

If you try it...let me know what you think...it's always good to compare notes.

On the other hand I found Cluster4 (G) to render very nice detail in 29.97...I was amazed at this cause its a pretty long GOP setting and a low bitrate too, yet its detail seems really good. I havent tested it outside tho...yet, but so far so good. The 29.97 patch that is in Crossfire (the original one) is not nearly as good as Cluster4 (G) IMHO.

I think Driftwood was going to combine the Crossfire 24P and the Cluster4 (G) in one Patch, that would be great (best of both worlds). Of course we may not wish to shoot in 29.97, but its would be nice to have an efficient and clean looking patch that is a low bitrate for 29.97 and a stellar 24p frame rate setting...all on the same patch.

Yeah...About Ghost Rider I did watch it in 2D...so I dont know what caused that strobing, I saw it in the fight scenes as well...even in the restaurant, it did look a lot like like the type of strobing/shuddering the GH2 gets, but not as pronounced and therefore a bit more bearable.

Cheers

• @Astro so, while it is fresh in memory :) which hacks do you recommend in which situations?

Separately... would you say that GH2's strobing is strongest when the datarate is lower, and so high datarate hacks help?

And finally... I saw Ghost Rider 2 in the movie theater (don't ask... was obligated), and also noticed major strobing, but mostly in the fight scenes. Alas they released the movie as 3D but as a post effect, so I thought the excessive strobing was related to the fact that they had trouble convincingly reproducing 3D effect without actually using 2 cameras. I assume though you watched it in 2D?

• @driftwood Thanks very much...and also thanks @Roberto for your tests. I did a lot of tests a while back using 25P...cause thats the setting I need the most in Australia (HBR) TV out PAL. But at 50 shutter that strobed too, so I dont think absolutely even shutter divisions will be the answer, although if uneven shutter is crushing bitrates at 24P, that may be causing other problems. Mo7ies is right that 1/30 shutter lessens the effect, but I have noticed that in hi contrast areas even the slower shutters cause this stuttering/strobe effect at 24P As an aside I was watching Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance on Blu Ray the other day, I think it was shot on a Red One Mysterium X, anyway a lot of the film looks really good. There is quite a bit of strobing tho...as their are a lot of shots where the camera moves a lot, and there is a scene at 1hour-6mins-04 seconds where they run the camera forward at medium pace over some white rocks and the strobing of the rocks is very noticeable. However it was still quite a bit less strobe than the GH2 delivers, and although annoying ...it was sort of acceptable. Personally I think we will go a long way to finding a cure for this when Panansonic has their global shutter thing perfected, obviously they are aware of these issues for them to be trying to develop a new type of shutter system. Anyways in the meantime I have found Driftwoods all Intra settings (Crossfire and Quantam 100) to help in the 24P settings along with the slower shutter rate. And of course in 29.97...the problem largely goes away.

• @svart

when I went frame by frame, I could see strobing as slight changes in color.

I know you were trying to replicate this, but any chance you can post stills of this? Or was the colour change only perceived in motion?

• @mo7ies

Sorry, @mo7ies, it was @Astro who wanted to see the slow pans.

I am pleased to note that nobody is muddying the waters - there are several ways to examine stutter; you and I agree there's something going on with blur.

Others are looking at other phenomena. I agree also that stutter itself is such a big issue that it may well deserve different threads. It certainly needs to be examined by one possible contributing factor at a time, preferably by one person/team at a time.

Now, back to my work on motion blur:

At the other side of the barrel with the multiple dots was a 2" pink line. same speed, same camera as before. Once again I've made up an animated GIF.

LineBlur.GIF
    700 x 719 - 984K
  • Roberto wrote:

But what if the shutter kept its own time, independently of the shutter? [I have read @Vitaliy 's explanation of how frames work and have no idea if such a thing could really happen..]

Let's avoid purely speculative posts here. They only muddy this thread.

We already have a consensus that, in fact, GH2's stutter at 24p is unusually pronounced, and just does not look good.

Now let's post some practical solutions.

So far the solution was to use 1/25 or 1/30 shutter with 24p framerate (instead of the usual 180deg shutter which would have been 1/50). Simple solution, and it works.

If you want to theorize/experiment/opine, please open your own separate thread. If you want to post a solution for the rest of us, backed by your own practical experience, by all means post it here. No offense.

I know you are impatient to see results for moving vertical lines.

Not really, I have my own video tests done long ago.

• @mo7ies

Yes, I know you are impatient to see results for moving vertical lines. First I had to set up something to see if blurring was happening correctly at all. That part is done.

I had already tested fast-moving vertical lines (see my jello test). The blur was correct for fast shutter-speeds. I can try it again at a lower shutter speed for you.

Next, as you say, I will set up a slow-moving background of contrasting vertical lines, to look like the moving forest which is so often seen stuttering.

• This diagram assumes that for each frame, the shutter is opened only once and for the same interval of time.

But what if the shutter kept its own time, independently of the frame speed? [I have read @Vitaliy 's explanation of how frames work and have no idea if such a thing could really happen..]

Imagine a setting up an automated cinema with a 1-hour projection time for a film which only takes up 50-minutes of each showing.

• When the cinema opens at 12:00 and the film starts at 12:10, everything ends at 13:00, everybody is happy.
    • If you program the film to start out of sync, you might find you get into your seat for the 15:00 showing, only to find you're watching the credits at the end of the movie. You wait in the darkness until 15:55, when you see the Paramount lady as the film starts again.

If a video behaved like that, then you would get a few nicely blurred frames, followed by a few under-blurred ones, i.e. stutter.

BTW, one major cause of concern in complaints about government departments is when public servants assume that what has happened is what was supposed to happen :-S

• I never said "slow-moving backgrounds" were a problem.

The problem, in my observations, arises when there are any vertical lines moving in the frame.

• [reserved for scale image of frames]

• @driftwood

1. Thanks for testing this aspect of shutter speeds.[Can we call it synchronisation?] As I imagine it, an electronic shutter 1/25th<s/up> of an arbitrary 50 frames per second would open for 1/25th of a second. The rest of the frame would be 1/25th of a second of darkness, before the next frame would repeat the process.
    2. I was willing to bet that my own motion-blur tests would show insufficient blur at certain shutter settings - even with fast-moving backgrounds. Well I've tested backgrounds and found this isn't the case.
    3. I still have to set up some repeatable shutter-blur tests using slow-moving backgrounds (which @Astro and @Mo7ies cite as their most likely stutter-producing scenario).
    4. Finally, somebody needs to look right into @nomad 's idea of attack/decay of how these electronic shutters actually work. -
  • @driftwood maybe thats the problem, as there is no multiple of 24 (no 48 shutter!).

• During my weekend of tests on 720p modes please remember if you enter a non matched shutter speed against a fps setting (e.g. 1/50 shutter on a 720p60 recording) you are more than likely to suffer problems and perhaps this could be a cause of enhanced strobing. This imbalance also creates smaller bitrate file sizes.

Ensure your shutter speed matches the frame rate (check) and in divisibles of it.

Here's a quick check using the same subject matter with 720p60 at 60 shutter (pic1) and then 50 shutter (pic2). Notice the odd B frames - all recording on the same test setting.

This may be a red herring but I'm further testing a number of users settings & other modes such as HBR.

Another test I will be looking into is timing. Perhaps we need to address the time_scale and ensure 24p/25p and 50i is set to 50000 and not 48000, and 30p and 60i is met with 60000 or divisibles of above. Again it could lead to nowhere. As soon as I get a spare moment from an edit Im working on I will conduct even deeper tests.

720p60 at 60 shutter - perfect balance of b frames.png
    1293 x 680 - 70K
    720p60 at 50 shutter - cadence - odd balance of B frames.png
    1290 x 674 - 62K
  • @Driftwood

Hi...Hope you got my reply message? I wasn't sure as I posted it and could not find my reply again to check if you had seen it.

OK Just to clear things up. In my tests

1. I never test off an SD card, I have Sata 3 drives on my computer (I need fast drives for my other work).

2. Strobing is on VLC, WMP and the Media Player Classic-Home Cinema (all 3 of them)

3. Strobing is also apparent on 1080P renders from Vegas and Premiere CS6, with quality render settings.

4. I have the latest 64bit K-Lite pak installed, version 6.3.0.

After countless tests and literally hours of footage with different lenses, this is the conclusion I have come to.

Strobing is very noticeable on all 24P footage, especially in higher contrast areas. Lower shutter speeds (30shtr) improve it a little, but its still quite noticeable when panning the camera. (even slowly).

All 29.97...all footage is 80 to 90% better regardless of the hack related settings. But unfortunately picture the quality drops, except I thought Driftwoods Cluster G was pretty incredible at 30P which defies logic as it has an average bitrate of 38mbps and is 12 Gop...AMAZING!!

Driftwoods Crossfire setting for 24P is also incredible, but strobing is there on panning the camera, however the image quality is out of this world!! So that setting would be awesome if the camera is not moved too much.

I think that just about covers it.

Cheers