Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Future GHx with PDAF predictions for spring 2023
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • I won't pretend to know much about this as I am not a raw shooter, but guess it's possible, though Panasonic already has pro-res raw, and the masses don't need anything beyond that. I think it is really more GH6 related as they had a similar flop with the GH3. In that case the core users had patched GH2's and there was little justification for paying more for a more professional body but lower bit rates. Maybe I am giving myself too much credit, but my little phase detect leak video did get noticed by many, including Panasonic as I was asked "who told you, phase detect would be in the GH6?". Thing is I get it now, the G9II was already pre-production (this is what I was being told about), and they thought the GH6 would get a pass on other specs with everyone not expecting phase detect anyways, as hardcore users were still fine saying "we don't need AF for Cinema". Well, I think I put a bit of kindling before the inevitable flames as suddenly everyone saw it may actually be coming, and even those claiming they didn't care, clearly did. So when it was released sans PDAF, it was enough of a let down to be essentially DOA in terms of expected or even minimal sales needed. But management is not going to let the team just say "it was a failure, we need to release GH6A (action) or some shit now and accept the loss. They have to push the stock out the door and likely do at least one or two small production runs to make it look like "due to the current global economy sales were lower than expected, however the timing of the G9II was better as the economy has stabilized. We Have Also Learned from the G9II that phase detect was more desired than we previously believed (har har), and data suggests that if we release a GH7 with phase detect before the end of 2024 it will be similar in sales as the now very sucessful G9II release." Thing is they weren't completely wrong to give it to the G9II. The G9 as I have mentioned before is widely successful in Japan with many bird photographers which is a huge market segment in Japan using that camera. Japanese camera people are slow to change camera's only doing so if there is a significant improvement that will greatly increase their experience. Two cameras more than any stand out far above others in the past half decade. The Z9 and now G9II. The Z9 first only appeared with 2 individuals in my go to spot shortly after the release. There was obvious interest from others, but they waited to see how the users felt after a couple months of use, and then 2 more popped up, a month later 6 more, and so on.. The G9II was like this, except one popped up, and a month later 10 popped up. Obviously a less prohibitive price is part of it, but again the G9 was hugely popular, and people who invested in that camera had allot more time to save their yen and justify the doubled price 10 years later. GH7 if indeed coming will be a very interesting test to see if micro four thirds still has staying power in the video crowd. Obviously allot of us here have a special place in our heart for these once little beasts, and I don't think they are going away just yet, but had they made the GH6 phase detect the timing would have been allot better as I think many die hards really just gave up at that point and moved on to aps-c or full frame. (I should probably make this rant a youtube video).

• If panafriend does not bring 480fps on 2k on anything pro camera 8k I promise I won’t buy from them no more.

They are falling behind years now. they need a killer feature before Ai enter inside menus of all cameras and you can add a prompt over the image

This are the lasts generations of classic proper cameras as we know it.

• @mee Well, it was pretty silent on the "RED RAW codec" at NAB, so nothing new here.

But m43 rumours now report about a imminent new Lumix camera announcement in may.

It will be a completely “new kind of model”.

Whatever that is supposed to be.

• Modular GH7 and S2H. Nah, that's just what they should do. While I'm dreaming.. maybe their stepping up to the plate with a "larger than full frame" sensor to give fuji a run for their money. Ludicrously priced Leica lenses along for the ride of course.

• Well, here is a "rumour" about the may Panasonic announcement being a Lumix S rangefinder style full frame camera.

What a total shitshow from Panny if true.

• I wish Panasonic would refresh the LX100 line. They can now put sensor stabilization and PDAF. That would make it a force to be reckoned with in the compact camera segment.