Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Why is it we are attracted to do lot's with little?
  • I have umpteen cameras at my disposal, from Panasonic/Canon Pro Cameras, 2/GH13's, 1/GH2, fancy auto everything lenses, mountains of accessories/support equipment all screaming "pick me, pick me", .... and yet I'm compelled to pick up the bright red GF2 with it's unlikely partner the old FD 50 f1.4 stuck on it, walk out the door and go make my life difficult?

Is this a bloody disease or what?

• 24 Replies sorted by
  • No this is very common. I have seen many men with beautiful and intelligent trophy wife go after some ugly trouble maker women :) Of course not to suggest GF2 is a bad option.

• Nice analogy ppcroft, So will this escalate to a fascination for pinhole cameras??

• I was attempting humour there Rambo :) On a serious note:

Honestly why not a pinhole camera? One benefit of having access to all these wonderful gears is that they give us the perspective as to what would work for me on a given day. If it is a pinhole camera, why not? There is no substitutefor the experience of using various gears to see what they bring to the table. If the only camera I had used is a GF2 this would not be the case.

• Haha, the fascination comment was in reference to my addiction to doing lot's with little, not your trouble maker quote :-) I see i i put a comma instead of a full stop, bugger. Ok now you got me Goggling pinhole cameras, see, it is an addiction.

• Is this a bloody disease or what?

It is not. As your primitive brain parts understand that you just do not have limited time available to you :-) So, they try to simplify things (in their specific understanding).

• So you are saying I/we as men, are programed to seek out the simplest, easiest way to do something. I think my wife might agree with you there VK.... haha

• All animals try to reach their goal using simplest way with smallest energy consumption.

• And here i was blaming my poor old RED GF2 for my predicament when in fact it was my fault all along. VK, what would i do without you:-)

I sense some nodding heads in various locations around the world.

• As in house A/V I constantly work with so-so equipment and lack of understanding from the client, Today I brought in my hacked GH2, used no extra lighting (documentary style video) My hacked GH2 blew away my Pany's, (relativity new Pany ENG cameras, work owned).. totally totally totally walked all over them.. I knew the GH2 was good, but this is crazy.. I don't care how much they cost or don't.. It's all about the end result.. The flexibility of the GH2's form factor and the hack is an outstanding combination.. I do have to add, if your leaning towards film vs TV, the ENG cameras looked more "TVish" the GH2 looked far more film like.. for me, film just swamps TV.. I can make GH2 look like TV any day of the week. Stop it down, add crap tons of lights, and have zero DOF... its TV video.

If I'm given a choice a hacked GH2 is my choice, no questions asked!

• Agree Ebacherville, converting ENG cameramen one at a time. Like VK said QUOTE"" All animals try to reach their goal using simplest way with smallest energy consumption"" :-)

• I'd love to have some real 1.3x anamorphic lenses, unfortunately they start at $45,000 each. Guess I'll have to make due with repurposed video adapters and hard to focus still lens adapters.

• Rambo, if you want a pinhole camera who not try this, it will work with your M4/3 cameras http://wanderlustcameras.com/products/pinwide.html

• Hey, a bit of a commercial plug, but if anyone buys a pinhole lens, I have some spare pinholes I can sell you.

• @Rambo Many people have an inclination toward finding the simplest route from A to B, including a lot of entrepeneurs who basically look at market and think "all the existing routes are not simple enough so I am going to find a simpler one to sell to others". :)

Then there are other personality types that enjoy complications. I think of late romantic and post-romantic era music and the expaninding orchestras that were used. "What are some new instruments I could add?" "What can I change to confuse and immerse people through spectacle?" Things like that. Or the old Scott Adams/Dilbert joke about if you are an engineer, you do not just "straighten the picture frame" but go grab the best computer, most obscure operating system, the best measuring devices and custom write a new program to not only figure out off the frame is but what caused it to fall in the first place and how ptrevent it in the future.

Note: I joke with love about engineers. My dad went to MIT, one of my best friends works as an engineer and I live a few minutes from CalTech. :)

• On a more serious note, my father used to say that the measure of tools and technology is in its transparency. Clark Blumenstein said (in reference to a $50,000 pair of drivers he worked on with Feastrex) that the only way to describe the listening experience was like there was nothing between you and the music - direct music into your brain.

The best tool for the job is the one that most directly allows you to create or the one that most directly connects to the audience. Once the subjective quality threshold is crossed, simplicity becomes the key factor alongside ease of use (and maybe versatility).

• @Rambo it's ok. you just forgot to sell.

• But there is one more factor in play: being inspired by our limitations.

Just as some writers are inspired by the limitations of a certain character (as much by knowing what they would not say as by what they would), or place or rhyme scheme, so are some composers inspired by limitations. At a point in time where it less expensive than ever before to have a virtual orchestra of ever increasing realism at your fingertips, many people are writing "chip music" that imposes the artificial limitations of a 1980s era sound-chip on the compositional process.

My friend Jordan Aguirre sometimes uses the "chip music" approach at an early stage for pieces meant for more complex sounds later on because "If I can make the melody sound good on that, it will sound awesome with better sounds".

International game score superstar Nobuo Uematsu at GDC in 2005 talked about how the creative process composing for early Nintendo games was fueled by how boring the games could be without the music. You really had to do a good job and even with the most basic sound processor he would still get jealous of the sound quality of the competition and push the sound programmer to make it better.

• i have gh2 and gf3. it feels like owning two totally different systems. those are fun cameras. highly recommend owning them both.

• @Rambo And of course, there is that famous photography article where they handed several well-known American photographers basic Polaroid or point and shoot cameras and they came back with photographs that blew away what many amateurs did with more expensive equipment.

Maybe you like seeing how much of it is your skill as opposed to the equipment. Maybe you are fueled by creative limitations. Maybe you like things to be simple. Maybe you do not like carrying around a ton of gear. But whatever the case, it does not sound like a disease if you continue to cultivate your creativity. :)

• The more you narrow down your options, the more invested you are in the choices you make. Which consequently makes you focus on expression, rather than technique. Or in other words: less is more :)

• @oscillan, I hear you and agree. On the other hand I think the constraints are also what challenge us to strive and create.

For example, which of these two questions would inspire you to more creativity:

1) Write about anything you like in any way you like for any length you like or
    2) Write a 20 word poem about the first tree you see today, without using the letter "e"

Once I went to the beach with an old Nokia phone camera. Its limitations made me seek out interesting light, colour and shapes because I knew the actual format and lens would be so crappy. Actually not only did I come back with some great photos, but I even got creative and did a few panoramas to stitch together which overcame the limited resolution of single images on that phone. To me, this is the "hard work" of creativity, to work within boundaries. The limitations really engaged me, and led to some amazing photos.

• try "within the frame" book.