Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Fujifilm X-H2 Strange Camera, no one knows who is target group
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • @joethepro "Wow, didnt realize how sharp the sony sensor is, comparatively."

It's not about Sony sensors, the comparison is between Bayer and X-trans. The difference in color detail is because of the pixel pattern on the sensor. Bayer is simply better compared to X-Trans.

• @Eno Yah I noticed the color detail, the darker reds, on the fabric seemed much better on the sony/bayer sensor. I wonder why Fuji would not use bayer if it produces obviously inferior images?

Also the sony/bayer seems sharper. Is this a result of bayer tech vs x-trans? It's a bit disappointing, as I was considering purchasing a Fuji. I'll have to reconsider.

@DrDave Thanks for the info. I'm sure the difference is less apparent in video than photo.

• Looking at the bottle cap, I don't think the focus points are the same for the comparison photos. My comparisons of the A1 and the Fuji didn't show a huge difference in the photos, but I wasn't using fabric.

• @joethepro Fuji is using Bayer sensors but only on their GFX medium format cameras and some entry lv APSC ones. It's beyond me why they don't want to offer Bayer alternatives to the XH2 series.

And by the way, Fuji cameras have other great points, don't look exclusively at what I've posted, it's always best to make an informed decision based on your personal needs and likes.

• @Eno I wonder if the tradeoff of not using a bayer brought other benefits in other areas? But yes I agree, the XH2 cameras are great, and 26MP is enough for me, but I want it to actually resolve reasonably close to 26MP! Maybe the pixel peeping is just blowing it out of proportion.

• Found some info from 2-3 yr old articles. How representative the info is to real life... not sure.

For anyone who needs a refresher, Fuji’s X-Trans sensors replace the standard Bayer filter with a different type of color filter of Fuji’s own design. The special 6 by 6 pattern of Fuji’s color filter allegedly eliminates moire, allowing Fuji to leave out the low-pass filter found in most digital cameras, thereby increasing resolution. It does, however, come with some drawbacks as well, including some well-known imaging artifacts.

But how noticeable are these artifacts? Can you even see the difference if you’re not looking for it, and weren’t they largely solved by the latest iteration of X-Trans? That’s what Andrew wanted to find out...

https://petapixel.com/2020/05/29/blind-test-fujifilm-x-trans-vs-bayer-filter-which-is-better/

This is a super short condensation and simplification of more complicated subjects, and as such it is naturally an inaccurate list. Each point will elaborated and clarified in all its shades below.

X-Trans Pros

-less color noise at high ISO
    -less moiré (an advantage that will become negligible once APS-C sensor go beyond 30MP)
    -sharper compared to cameras with same pixel number and optical low pass filter, unless the processing in camera is very aggressive, like on X-A5 and X-T100
    -more pleasing “film-like” grain at high ISO

Bayer Pros

-20%-30% less processing power required (possible benefits listed below)
    -cheaper to produce than X-Trans

Brutally short conclusion:

-X-Trans is better for image quality
    -Bayer is better for features and speed, unless Fujifilm can compensate for the extra 20-30% processing power required by the X-Trans sensor with a more powerful processor (present in Fujifilm X-T3), new sensor tech for faster sensor readout (maybe stacked sensor) and better heat management (present in X-H1)

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-trans-vs-bayer-pros-and-cons-of-going-bayer-or-sticking-with-x-trans-sensor/

• @joethepro "The special 6 by 6 pattern of Fuji’s color filter allegedly eliminates moire"

This is a misconception, the X-Trans pattern does not eliminate more, it just changes its structure from repetitive to something else (also ugly IMO).

"-less color noise at high ISO "

Cause Adobe embeds some NR processing by default for X-Trans, which can't be deactivated. If you edit an X-Trans file in RAWTherapee for example you'll see what I mean.

"Brutally short conclusion: -X-Trans is better for image quality"

This is simply false and proven otherwise!

After my own research and tests, X-Trans brings more problems to the table and in the end, the image quality is simply inferior to the Bayer pattern! How much inferior? It depends on the RAW demosaicing algorithms, software used etc. But if man is happy with those compromises, Fuji has some distinctive and attractive products.