Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Z-CAM E2 cameras lineup production can suddenly stop

Huge train-wreck seems to be happening with little amazing Z-CAM team.

All E2 cinema cameras are based on main LSI chip made by HiSilicon (Hi3559A V100 and may be few more models). For reference - HiSilicon is chip design branch of big Huawei corporation. Hisilicon designes all the main LSI (called Kirin) for Huawei smarphones.

Right now Huawei is on the first front lines of China-US trade war, with US promising to leave only burning ashes from smartphone market leader.

Since last US punch it is more correct to say now that they designed/made such chips and can't do it anymore. US put extreme sanctions on Hisilicone specifically - now they can't use any contract manufacturers (as 100% of them use US intellectual property, equipment or software) and can't keep even be using US software to design chips themselves.

Such way Z-CAM cameras suddenly won't have their heart available for company, and this also concerns any already made, sold or awaiting to be sold camera, as servicing issues and lack of parts can prevent company from keeping their warranty obligations. On small market of semi-pro and professional cinema cameras this alone is making your product unacceptable for any serious production.

Company now tries to hide this information from potential buyers, cleaning it instantly from the Facebook group and trying to prevent its leak to camera related press.

It will be real tragedy if we'll have such interesting company (that had been able to withstand very hard climate) will be going out of business as collateral damage in the US-China trade war.

sa14232.jpg
    523 x 500 - 37K
  • 64 Replies sorted by
  • @lars_stevensson

Indeed.

Just remember that Z-CAM sales are tiny compared to big cameras companies and even their sales sucks. Z-CAM also made some cuts, always use delays and popular models not available on some markets. Main chip they use is not produced and hard to get.

New rumor I got via Facebook private message tell that Z-CAM is actually affiliated with Chinese military and government (in total secret make another models for them) and this allowed them to get access directly to HiSilicon strategic reserves of chips.

One thing where I could made error - I underestimated amount of reserves of such chips that Chinese government made due to the fact that many street and similar security cameras are based on this chip.

• Four months later, and ZCAM still chugging along.

• Huawei chips are mostly out of stock now

You can see here collapse of Huawei/Honor smartphones import.

People in the industry tell that it is all due to issues with main and auxiliary chips.

sa17233.jpg
    706 x 481 - 59K
  • @DrDave

Main LSI cost was tiny compared to even cheapest camera. In fact its price is around 1/3-1/10 from self cost of modern digital cameras LSI used in Sony and Panasonic cameras. Main reason being that they are much smaller scale products, have more powerful DSPs and cores and better thermal properties (up to 5 times better in case of Panasonic).

It can be really interesting to see how Z-CAM guys will redesign their products.

For now it is only visible that company is in slight shock and none of new products are being talked about (contrary to time before Huawei sanctions).

One of their dealers told me that situation with logistics management was so bad that they actually did not know LSI problem and availability issue prior my post in their group. Just was not informed and never cared. He talked to their representative some time ago asking about various camera availability and had been told this.

Btw, they also had no idea about raw limitations and patents before my talk to them also.

• I don't see the price moving an inch. OTOH my 6K S6 seems reasonably priced for what you get. I'm sure they make money on it......

• @lars_stevensson

Shouldn't they be done by now?

Availability clearly dropped across the world, but they focus on profitable and some good selling bodies.

LSI still is not available (and no changes considering Huawei are in sign), but they could have snatched batch, and due to very low sales they can be good for some time.

• Status? Shouldn't they be done by now?

• @LongJohnSilver

I didn't get you. Is X-Cam looking for action camera components?

Z-CAM already use main chip that had been made for action and security cameras. From HiSilicon.

They never told about this, as it could hurt their big margins (their margin for all except 3 models is around 1.5-2x compared to the average camera industry).

Issue is that HiSilicon is banned by TSMC and can't longer make chip that they use.

To go around it they cut production of cheapest models (they had been 70-80% of sales in number of cameras). And also cut delivery for smaller or less known markets. But it is all temporary solution anyway.

Now they look for potential replacement (but it means total redesign and huge changes in code). Plus they have some backstory. I don't know details but guy who told me this also told it can be serious.

• Z-CAM LSI is now being hunted by manufacturers of action cameras.

I didn't get you. Is Z-Cam looking for action camera components?

• New interesting bit of info I got

Z-CAM talks about totally abandoning current HiSilicon based design.

Yet they have issue, as only good domestic chips come from Ambarella and part of Z-CAM team are ex Ambarella engineers that had some issue during leaving.

Rumors are that relations are not still good enough to allow Z-CAM to get supply and information.

• Regarding the annual global ranking of smartphone brands for 2021, Huawei will experience a further and significant decline in its device production. This is because of the effects of the U.S. export restrictions and the spin-off of Honor as a separate entity operating in the smartphone market. Huawei is currently projected to tumble from third place in 2020 to seventh place in 2021. The top six for 2021, in order, will be Samsung, Apple, Xiaomi, OPPO, Vivo, and Transsion.

Huawei now don't have any LSI except small savings produced in early 2020 that they will use in the top smartphones, but they also plan to hike price to keep sales low enough. Also service will be extremely problematic.

Servicing of existing smartphones already started to face problems with company suggesting to replace device to newer models made on cheap MTK chipsets and without Goolge Play.

Z-CAM LSI is now being hunted by manufacturers of action cameras.

• Rumors keep coming that Z-CAM cameras production is falling at steady state. Company still have some stock of main LSI, but it is harder and harder each week now.

Most probably the breakup moment will happen in early January.

• One more dealer told that communication from Z CAM side became strange lately. Very hard to get clear answers and near impossible to order proper amount of cameras.

• Huawei Technologies Co. quietly spent months racing to stockpile critical radio chips ahead of Trump administration sanctions, ensuring it can keep supplying Chinese carriers in their $170 billion rollout of 5G technology through at least 2021.

Partner Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. began ramping up output in late 2019 of Huawei’s 7-nanometer Tiangang communications chips, the most crucial element in 5G base stations, people familiar with the matter said. The Taiwanese contract manufacturer eventually shipped more than 2 million units at Huawei’s behest ahead of the sanctions cutoff last month, one of the people said, asking not be identified discussing internal matters.

Processors used in Z-CAM had been one of casualties, as Huawei demanded to supply only very limited number of chips, with 5G base station ones being top priority.

Now it is completely bad.

• Actually, it is a pity that marketing froom Kinson is more important than developing the E2 to the end from Jason .

dealing with E1 users like me made me cautious.

The career of ZCAM--> Kinson and Jason and the timeline,

Started with Meitu bf1 -> Zcam E1 -> C1 --E2 --- final aktuuel Status is very interesting

The tracking was a big thing in 2018 ... until the Chinese state can start ... Cloud of many e2 with tracking.

since then the tracking has disappeared

• @Bob_Hawk

Some of Z-CAM dealerships want to clear inventory to no longer be responsible for service and related things.

It will be fully visible in next 2 months.

• Media markt Germany, on the other hand, had great delivery times..............Those who don't have them in stock make them very expensive

InkedInkedzcame222_LI.jpg
    1382 x 882 - 1000K
  • Current googel search Sunday 18-10-2020 3pm 45 local time

in Germany after Zcam E2 there are 2 discount offers

Screenshot - Refubished for € 1,800.00 incl. VAT. Available for immediate delivery 2 days

When I use the link on the Zcam site I see the price € 2,149.00 VAT included from Authorized Dealer (Screenshot 2)

both screenshots within minutes................ Whoever had it in store tries to get rid of it

strange strange Helloween is getting closer or "panasonic lumix dc-bgh1 " its a nice Price

zcame2.JPG
    1287 x 766 - 120K
    Inkedzcame22_LI.jpg
    1330 x 684 - 828K
  • TSMC stated that previous information about license to supply to Chinese manufacturers chips made using old tech is false.

Very bad for Z-CAM.

• if it is confirmed that the hardware of the GH5s works inside and that with MFt

the next variant will be the GH5S with original sensor

I am thrilled and happy that I have resisted the E2 until today,

1.) the design

2.) the performance of the GH5S

3.) Finally no 200 3dLut and umpteen additional programs to eliminate the defects of the cam

4.) finalya new victim for " Mr. Panasonic Hack Vitaly_Kiselev "

this will be my next cam I'm already starting to think about how to explain this to my wife ...

• I only stumbled upon rumors about it by chance our friend "storyboardcreativity" apparently didn't know either,

my linked german youtube video from Martin Krolop discusses the facts of the camera very neutrally, He has also been using the Zcam E2 for a long time ,see you on video. I'm looking forward to his review because he is always transparent and neutral

• @Bob_Hawk

Look above - it is already introduced and we have this images here in BGH topic.