Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Industry Rumors: Coronavirus can be final blow for camera industry
  • 270 Replies sorted by
  • Soon there will be no Chinese people working in factories, only robots :)

Businesses can now apply to govt to get interim subsidy or loans to pay rent and other expenses.

Logistics: Feeding 8-11 million in the quarantine area

• Right wing central Chinese government pressure all firms and local authorities to start working as soon as possible and remove any restrictions, even if they are founded. Due to request from top banks and corporations that they represent they have no choice but to push hard.

it'll be interesting to see consequences, people I read expect up to 4-5 million dead within 6 months in China due to this decision.

• Foxconn ( electronics manufacturer ) and BYD ( automaker ) have set up production lines to manufacture face masks. They are in full operation.

Disinfection tunnel in Shanghai ( most viruses are not considered as being alive like bacteria. But technically they can be inhibited or deactivated )

• " the manufacturer says it is not harmful to the health" hahaha . The truth is just about everything the technocracia does is harmful to our health. And In china, I bet a nickel there's no place to run. Can't even be a back-to-nature hippy. And btw, all n95 and n99 mask test are done with completely sealed masks. Even their exalted leader didn't know how to use his properly.

• @Vitaliy....no problem...but I believe the above posts about the "disinfection passage"fits your definitions, right ? But why was the video I last posted not included here ? It's about corona, not vaccines or vit c. It's about the most disturbing scene (i;ve seen) supposedly coming out of the virus zone. Of course anyone's welcome to dispute it...in fact I'd welcome knowing it wasn't the truth. oops ...my mistake . It's not posted in the what we know thread. And as well your "what we know about" comment should be in the vaccine thread, just to be accurate.

• The 2020 Mobile World Congress has been canceled by GSMA because of #coronavirus fears.

• @EspenB

Yep, more exhibitions to follow.

By the end of this year less than 25% of expo industry will remain alive, all else will be in ashes.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I wonder if we will also have a cancellation of the all ready weak Photokina show in may.

• Specially note main rason for CP+ 2020 cancellation - ability for customers to touch products.

All such events can be postponed in coming months.

Also huge changes can come to camera shops.

Sales for cameras are expected to deep as much as 50% YoY in Q1 as Japan, Vietnam and more countries will follow China.

Tourism also is taking huge hits and it is related to cameras directly.

• Companies in Japan and South Korea face an acute labor crunch as the coronavirus outbreak disrupts Chinese employment in both countries -- though for very different reasons.

In South Korea, the problem is twofold: depressed business activity coupled with a reluctance to hire workers of Chinese origin.

In Japan, the problem is more of a logistical one, with many current or prospective workers unable to come to the country from China.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Coronavirus-leaves-Japan-and-South-Korea-short-of-Chinese-workers

Camera companies try to avoid making modernization and to use robots, as it is cheaper to hire migrants and offer them bad conditions.

Now it is their time to suffer.

• Foxconn factories in Shenzhen have a large contingent of workers from Wuhan who went home for CNY, they may not be back for a while.

• @jleo

Foxconn factories in Shenzhen have a large contingent of workers from Wuhan who went home for CNY, they may not be back for a while.

Like till September.

• this will be big opportunity to install robot assembly lines everywhere, and nobody goes back :( Even dumplings made by robot, grandmas may be out of a job :)

• @jleo

In capitalism you can get robots installed only if they are cheaper to maintain than humans.

• Some of my talks suggest that impact on camera and electronic industry overall will be staggering, like nothing we saw in last 50 years.

As more Asian countries will be massively hit by virus we will see full extent of it.

• ....and robots building cameras....don't think we're there yet. Like I said....used cams will be selling for more than they cost new....like nothing we've ever seen. Anyone who wants new gear, from cams to phones and computers better stock up. Bet big retailers are. They'll luv the price gouging. B&H....probably opening another warehouse with abused employees ! Amazon....well, Bezos just bought a new house for 200mil !

• If this goes global and bad, demand for new camera's will be very low. People will be in survival mode.

• Taiwanese notebook ODMs have already resumed assembly operations in China, but risks of supply chain disruptions in March are mounting, as inventories of many components will run out by end-February

First part of this sentence is mostly lie, as you can't really assembly much having 10-20% of workers.

• @mee

Who knows. On other hand ordinary citizent can finally have lot of unusual and shocking stuff to shoot.

s2003.jpg
    547 x 302 - 24K
    s2002.jpg
    577 x 561 - 60K
  • Huge issues in manufacturing around the world will start this week and will double each 2-4 days.

Up to 90% of all products have Chinese made parts.

• All Chinese banks must now literally launder their cash, disinfecting it with ultraviolet light and high temperatures, then storing it for seven to 14 days before releasing it to customers, said the central Chinese government in a press release Saturday.

Cash that comes from high-risk infection areas, like hospitals and wet markets, will be "specially treated" and sent back to the central bank instead of being recirculated. And in the central bank's Guangzhou branch, these high-risk banknotes may be destroyed instead of merely disinfected...To make up for the supply, the bank will issue large amounts of new, uninfected cash; in January, the bank allocated 4 billion yuan (about $573.5 million) in new banknotes to Wuhan, the Chinese city where the outbreak began, said the government press release.

It's unclear how "infected" cash in China may actually be -- the virus likely dies after a few hours on surfaces, especially if it's been killed with disinfectant. And most people in urban centers don't use cash anyway -- mobile payment apps are near-ubiquitous.

But as previous studies have found, money can be incredibly dirty. Each dollar, passed person to person, samples a bit of the environment it comes from, and passes those bits to the next person. The list of things found on US dollar bills includes DNA from our pets, traces of drugs, and bacteria and viruses, according to a 2017 study in New York. That doesn't mean cash is actually dangerous for our health; disease transmission linked to money is rare, and no major disease outbreaks have started from our ATMs. But with new cases being reported every day in China, the country's officials are taking no chances
  • All Chinese banks must now literally launder their cash, disinfecting it with ultraviolet light and high temperatures, then storing it for seven to 14 days before releasing it to customers, said the central Chinese government in a press release Saturday.

This will certainly help Chinese economy.

May be even global elite project to get rid of all cash? Instantly :-)