Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm F1.4 Lumix DG Summilux ASPH
  • 49 Replies sorted by
  • http://mokona25.tistory.com/11

43 version is sharp at 1.4. But m43 version is not so sharp at 1.4. Also the corner sharpness is weak. Maybe they should remove LEICA label from it.

Although the PL 25 has sharper center than Nokton 25, I liked the old film look from Nokton 25.
  • I tried to find good things about PL 25... but found more good things about Nokton 25.95. So beautiful lens. Why didn't I buy it at $900? Sad...

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=panasonic_forum&page=3&divpage=13&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=72782

Can you believe that those snapshots are JPEG straight out of GF1?

I'm gonna cancel PL 25 preorder. Leica... whatever.
  • Hopefully, the going rate on eBay for the legacy Four Thirds Leicasonic 25mm f1.4 will drop when people sell them off in preference for the new Micro Four Thirds 25mm lens...
  • It really depends on how you shoot...if you like manual the Nokton is very very easy & accurate to focus with (thankyou dampened focus ring!)...even a f0.95...If you want superb build...again nokton.

If you want AF...and sadly even though it looks like the af on the leica is of the "breathing" variety...then maybe the leicas the way.... that said I dont think youre going to get any sharper photos with AF on quick moving subjects..its just one of the traits of using any fast lenses

Both lenses are equally going to be a pain in the ass to shoot fast moving objects.
    (I got very annoyed at digitalrevs video review of nokton...unless it was being ironic)

All I know is even with its "quirks" the Nokton brings new life even on my Gf1...never have to use over 400 iso...and the look it gives is very unique....classical look.

And my god...that sleek black build...ahhhhhh...you get what you pay for.

I think there must be a few more Noktons out in circulation as the price has dropped a little...when theres more (and when the PL is out) im sure it'll go back closer to its original price.

As for the PL 25mm...I think I will keep my 20mm f1.7.
  • I have the Nokton and what I love about it is that, altough being a new lens, it has the mojo of old vintage glass. The Pana Leica 25mm looks great too but I'm afraid it might render as 'technically' and 'digital' as all modern lenses do.
  • I plan to get Nokton when the price drops more. Hopefully GH2 future firmware supports peaking feature to help MF fast and accurate. NEX users are saying the feature works great in underexposed and overexposed scenes. Yes old vintage look. I like. I'm keeping 20.7, too.
  • I'm convinced that shooting with super-fast lenses (f1.2 and lower) allows you to use ISO 800 without the grainy noise you'd expect at f2.8. The image sensor generates a constant level of random noise regardless of the amount of illumination, and the more photons you pump into the sensor the less noticeable that noise will be. I'm sure the same low-noise effect occurs in daylight illumination with slow lenses, we simply haven't noticed it since there's no reason to shoot at ISO 800 when you have plenty of light.
  • What do you mean stonebat? Pressing the shutter/aperture wheel does magnify the image in EVF and LCD, giving you a great, fast peaking tool for focusing manual lenses. It just doesn't work when using the HDMI out, which might be fixed by mighty Vitaliy.

EDIT: Oh I see, you mean visual effect like color over focused areas?!
  • Just for the record, Nokton's f0.95 aperture only brightens the center of the image a tad bit compared to f1.2, adding a visible vignette.
  • Yes the coloring on focused area. Quite useful in shallow DOF during recording. Live peaking.

Nokton beats PL 25 in all other f-numbers. Normally I wouldn't use 0.95 unless I want some artsy stuff. 2.0 or 2.8 is fine with me if there is enough lighting. 1.4 for better bokeh. 0.95... not a fan of cats eye bokeh.
  • Yeah...very annoying that Panasonic are piss poor at updating firmware with new functions...but then Sony dont have a lot new NEX cameras coming out too soon.
    Although im convinced the glistening/alaising look the GH1/GF1 EVF/LCD screen gives when subject is in focus is deliberate for MF peaking...its a bit harder to see but its there.
    @LPowell...definately...My GF1 is a noisy little bugger in higher iso's (even just over 250)...using the f0.95...noise is reduced and can use iso 400 max (on GF1) Before noise creeps in. So it makes all the difference....especially on these ye olde sensors ;-)
    Nokts Bokah isnt effected so much between f0.95 to f1.4 but obviously illumination/sharpness is different.
    I tend to use f1.4 mostly and f0.95 when lighting is very low...using f0.95 lenses isnt at its best for daytime shooting wide open.
  • You can tell what you want but right today I take in my hands the Canon 100mm. 2.8L Macro and after the Leica lumix 45mm. 2.8 Macro lens and I start cryng, both price ca. 700€ but the plastic construction of the Leica lumix lens is very poor for that price and so all the panasonic lumix lens.
  • Here are some tests with several 66mbs settings in different situations.
    Leica is worth every dollar/euro you spend on it, despite the plastic construction.
    Color, sharpness, depht, bokeh, all is superb!
    It's very thight build.
    Focus ring runs smooth and easy!

• Seems like a great lens; the "review" is hilarious.
  • @ishvar or anyone else, I just bought this lens and the noise from the aperture movements is crazy. Are you guys having the same problem and is there any fix for it?

Thanks
  • lol nevermind, I am so used to manual lens so much so that I didn't know I could change the camera to aperture priority. This's absolutely a beautiful lens, image is incredible. Gonna be one of my favorite lens right after my samyang 35mm f1.4
  • I really want this lens too. Will probably sell my 20 1.7 and get the 25 1.4.

Really like the organic look when filming with it.
  • It does look great does it? Until he shoves in a picture of his 50mm Summilux on the M9.
  • I'm thinking of getting the GH3 pretty soon, for video. Is the consensus that for 25mm prime, the Voigtlander is significantly better?

• Hummm, just very different, and neither is a lemon.

The Panny lens is very small, very light, very sharp and automatic.

The Voigt is heavy, built like a (high precision) tank, is softish but faster wide open (and can deliver great resolution when stopped down) and is fully manual. It has character (needs to be seen, hard to describe) and an iris with very round bokeh even stopped down.

• Is the noise on the panny when autofocusing loud or anything? Does it work well on night filming? Is the audio noise on the panny when autofocusing loud or anything?

How's the resolution on the Voigtlander wide open at night on the subject area in focus for video? Why do people seem to prefer it?