Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm F1.4 Lumix DG Summilux ASPH
  • PL 25.4
    - Circular aperture diaphragm
    - 30cm minimum focus (20cm for Lumix 20.7)
    - Fast and quite AF
    - Good looking focus ring
    - No front thread moving

Nice... but $$$. Hopefully price goes down fast. It would be nice match w/ Lumix 14/2.5 or Oly 12/2.0.
  • 49 Replies sorted by
  • Me...I dont like it...call me negative nancy but I hate that modern lenses are plastic bodied with no aperture ring...when Im paying 650 euros for a lens I want a nice solid construction and the ability to manually use without fly by wire or electronic connections.
    Hence why I got a Voigtlander f/0.95 instead. AF isnt a big deal for me.
    It should of been priced around 400 euros.
  • Lucky you. Nokton 25/.95 is a sweet lens, and it will last lifetime.

If PL 25mm supports smooth AF-C, I might consider. It's plasticky, but I like AF-C. I can't deny it!!!
  • yeah, I think that the fly by wire focus and software correction are huge letdowns to me... =/

NO SOFTWARE CORRECTION PLEASE! lol
  • >NO SOFTWARE CORRECTION PLEASE! lol

Software correction must be used more and more.
    As it allows to produce cheaper and sharper lens with all major distortions and abberations corrected.
  • +1 as long as I'm happy with results. 2-ways communication between lens and body should make it easier for in-body correction.
  • but limits your lens investment to only one system. This is why many buy old glass.
  • I thought so, too. But I can't deny it. I love all m43 lens although I own only 20/1.7 and 14-42. The pancake is still selling at $400.

1.4, Summilux, ASPH, circular aperture diaphragm, kinda fast kinda quiet AF, a square hood... at $600. Not bad. Not bad at all. I think it's safe to buy at this price. Selling the pancake.... hmmm. Three things about the pancake. Noisy motor sound, the moving front filter thread, slow AF. Think think think. A set of Lumix 14, PL 25, and Hexanon 40 would be pretty nice.

Oh I'm buying old lenses, too. Mechanical focus ring, metal body, aperture ring, and great investment... I think. But I gotta be selective.
  • Sorry... I can't help

• Ive gone through four 20mm f1.7s (buy sell profit,buy sell profit lol)...bought another...hopefully keep it this time. ;-)
  • That's what happened in Asia, too. I heard the price of the pancake went up ridiculously high. In the States, it stayed below $400. I think it hit low $300 at one point. I don't expect the price of PL 25/1.4 going down anytime soon.

Often we wonder why people abandoned the good old full metal legacy lenses. I think there is always a compelling reason for new change... at least at the time of the change. Who knows? When m43 system has a pretty good set of lenses (beginning with this PL 25/1.4), the popularity of legacy lenses like FD might go nosediving. You know... higher legacy lens price & lower mirrorless lens price. At one point, it would make more sense for most consumers to get new plastic lenses than legacy lenses. If that happens, I would love to load up more legacy lenses.
  • Lenses prices will rise. This is for sure.
    Tough times coming.
  • You meant price of all lenses? I agree with you for now.

Price of raw material going up. Energy cost of running factories going up. Cost of labor in China going up. Cost of transportation going up. etc.

This is stagflation. Price of "real" products such as foods/energy/gears going up. Credit market backed assets going downhill. e.g. housing & investment vehicles. Wage increase not catching up increase in cost of living.

I don't know. I don't know anything for sure anymore. I'm just happy to hold my gears... My precious gears!!!
  • To be more precise, they'll rise for limited time.
    And after real problems start in USA and Europe we'll see sharp price drop.
    Too many people own pricey gear and will be happy do exchange them for more usable things.
  • +1. I'm waiting for people dumping Canon L lenses.
  • "Sell Leica Summilux 50mm for two loafs of bread" :-)
  • That sounds horrible.
  • @stonebat
    Relax and sing : Always look on the bright sight of life ......
  • image x 1,000,000
  • As far as I know, Leica's deal with Panasonic involves a 'no software correction' clause if they are to put the Leica badge on a lens. The Four Thirds version wasn't optically corrected. I think it tends to be the wide-super-zooms and wide lenses like 7-14mm that have heavy correction in software.

The contract is necessary for Leica since they are known for producing 'the best' optics, and if it were known that software correction was applied, it would damage the brand.
  • More sample images http://www.nomobile.ru/reviews/119602.html image

Some say Leica lenses are like lens-less. Images from the lenses are like seeing actual scenes with bare eyes. Thus feeling like lensless :)
  • Hmmm...

PL 25 or Nokton 25... That's the question...

• Nokton 25 will be quite cheap lens, something like $500.
    And taking into account their usual added cost I could only think of some cheap chinese lens with $50-100 wholesale cost.
  • ORLY? Hmmm...

I'm thinking to trade 20.7 for 25.4. Faster AF is better for photo. Less noise is better for video. The only issue is the fly-by-wire.
  • More PL 25 samples.
    http://mokona25.tistory.com/m/post/view/id/6
    http://mokona25.tistory.com/m/post/view/id/9
    http://mokona25.tistory.com/m/post/view/id/5 (bokeh test vs 20.7)

This is definitely not Nokton, but I like the calm tone. Definitely different from 20.7. Looking more 'flat'. Or it might be due to G3's new JPEG engine. As reported earlier, inner focusing. No moving part.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I WANT IT!!!!!
  • I wouldn't mind picking this baby up - however, these crappy photographer's with these early samples aren't doing the lens any justice.