Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon EOS M6 Mark II Camera
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • The Canon M6 ii can shoot 30 5.1K 12-bit RAW images per second in burst mode up to 3.5 seconds (with AF!) with just a tiny crop internally. So, one can make a 30p video with resolution that exceeds 4K, with all the flexibility of shooting RAW. Almost no compression, no line skipping, 422 12bit. Does it work?

Here's an example (4K30P (downsampled) rendered from the 5.1K images):

Forget Magic Lantern. No mods needed. Really takes advantage of high-speed UHS-II sd cards.

Why do this? Because one can...

• @DrDave

Indeed the 4K out of the M6mk2 looks like a 2K resolution wise and the 1080p like 720p. It's a shame really!

Canon is the master of video crippling features and quality in their ILC cameras! Did you expect anything else from them?

• How awful, the shame! How can anyone use this camera for video! One can barely make out any details at all.

Btw, you pixel peepers: "The ARRI Alexa cameras (apart from the Alexa 65 and LF) can’t natively shoot in UHD or 4K resolutions, but that hasn’t stopped them from being used. A lot of films captured on Alexa cameras have been upscaled to 4K for cinema release. Nobody complains about the image quality." https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/03/20/do-you-really-need-a-camera-that-can-shoot-4k/

• I like Canon--I just expect more.

• @markr041 "you pixel peepers"

"Resolution isn't everything" that's why Canon is "spoiling us" with HD details in a 4K rapper at the end of 2019. Viva la video revolution... What revolution? Canon made a mistake by releasing basic video features on the 5D mk2 in 2008 (my last Canon camera) and they did everything in their power to correct that mistake since then. :)

• I have to say, I just can't believe the samples on DpReview are that soft. Maybe there was a problem with the sample. But it is seriously soft.
    @Eno 5D II was also the last Canon camera I used, except for a few of the 1080p camcorders (long time ago...)
    5D II was a great cam, we should be lightyears beyond it lightyears ago.

• @DrDave I still don't get it. I posted multiple M6 ii 4K videos here. Are they also "unbelievably soft"? Different "samples" or are you still referring to blown-up resolution charts, which are completely irrelevant.

• While many are staring at B&W line charts and wondering, some are actually shooting, taking advantage of the relatively big sensor in a small camera with small lenses and getting great 4K video, I think. Just a really good travel rig - M6 ii + EF M 18-150mm lens.

• Firmware version 1.1.0.

1. The option to capture movies in the frame rate of 23.98p has been added.
    2. Fixes the phenomenon where the focus position of the lens returns to the home position if the camera powers off due to the “Auto Power Off” setting during Interval Timing shooting.
    3. Fixes the phenomenon in which, in rare cases, the camera may not autofocus at the edges of the image area.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-m6-mark-ii.html?type=firmware&firmwaredetailid=tcm:14-1954712&os=windows%2010%20%2864-bit%29&language=

• Canon EOS M6 Mark II Mirrorless Digital Compact Camera + EF-M 15-45mm F/3.5-6.3 IS STM + EVF Kit, $799

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mirrorless-Camera-15-45mm-3-5-6-3/dp/B07WDLY364/