Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Destiny of m43 mount cameras, how soon production will stop
  • 182 Replies sorted by
  • Lots of people come to express sincere condolences to m43 ecosystem:

sa7241.jpg
    681 x 455 - 55K
  • Olympus have such at CP++ to calm down booth staff and visitors

sa7238.jpg
    674 x 412 - 64K
  • Lens roadmap shows that all people are now transferred to other camp

sa7227.jpg
    687 x 449 - 57K
    sa7228.jpg
    687 x 459 - 56K
  • I however, will be buying and using all the cheap m43 gear that will hit the market as people panic and sell their gear. I almost can't wait!

• I share the same sentiment as Terry Lane and being a heavy m43 user I can only say that the writing is on the wall.

And something will crystallize in 2019.

• @Energy80s

My own understanding is that m43 can die just even from Japanese corporation structure, especially feedback and marketing. As PR and marketing went into strange virtual mode where they go into small cities making pointless presentations and spending huge money, or telling their bosses how hard is to deal with few resellers that are left (and it is fewer of them each year), and in reality just sitting and watching Youtube. Same is about feedback where company literally made a wall using established photo guys and ambassadors who just tell them same old obvious things and block any new information (as it mean that they are loosing real money by not getting free travel and bodies, it is big).

• Well, it depends on whether a GH6 is an m4/3 camera or a full frame camera - what with it being their flagship movie camera. I think that will signal which way Panasonic will go, or indeed if they stay in the camera game at all, as I have my doubts about the new full frame stills camera making much of an impact in the current marketplace (at any price).

• @Energy80s

Absolutely does not depend, as GH6 will be something like top DSLRs in Canon and Nikon lineups. They will stay for small niche markets. But expect another big price hike for last Panasonic m43 cameras.

• I suppose it all depends on whether Panasonic announces an m4/3 mount GH6 or not. If this doesn't happen within the next 6 months, I would say that their commitment to Micro 4/3 is at an end.

• Do you think that over time, your L mount lineup will grow to include entry-level products, or do you see it purely as a high-end system?

The first generation will be specialized for professionals but in the future, of course we’re also aiming to attract entry-level users. In that eventually, we’ll study the question of performance versus size. But our image to professional users is very important. That’s why we’re attacking this segment [initially].

If L mount won't flop completely (it is around 60% probability that this can happen) we will see m43 being phased out during 2020.

• A lot of readers and others I've talked to in the industry have expressed concern over whether Micro Four Thirds can survive as a platform, with only Olympus continuing to invest strongly in developing new bodies and lenses for it. (Again, Panasonic says they're going to continue investing in Micro Four Thirds, but we expect to see their pace of MFT development slacken some over the next few years, given the heavy investment they're going to have to make in the new L-mount platform.)

Despite Panasonic's likely retreat, though, I don't see any sort of problem for Olympus and Micro Four Thirds in general. MFT already has arguably the most extensive native lens lineup of any mirrorless platform, with options ranging from entry-level to no-holds-barred professional optics, across a wide range of focal lengths. When it comes to true "native" optics, MFT offers a wider range of genuinely excellent choices than any other mirrorless system on the planet.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2018/12/12/a-full-frame-olympus-not-just-no-but-heck-no

Dave issue is not understanding the market and how it works, despite being one of the best among interviewers.

• @kinvermark I used to think so too, but in fact, many combinations of ff bodies and lenses are actually no larger than mft, and in some instances are even smaller. Practically every one of my Sony lenses can be flown with the a7 III on the original Crane: the 55mm f/1.8, 16-35mm f/2.8, 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 (smaller and lighter than GH5 + Oly 45mm f/1.2 Pro).

• Hmm, I am between two minds with this one. There are serious, real benefits to m43. Same also with FF and MF.

That said, I do prefer FF for my photography, and m43 for video.

• To some extent, manufacturers are being their own worst enemies on this one. They are making great big megasized m4/3 bodies and lenses. The GH5 is bigger than my A7r Mark III. The Olympus Pro 12-40 and 40-150 lenses are not tiny (even if they are still a big smaller than the full frame counterparts for focal range). On the other hand, the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 are very decent small lenses which seem to get the "promise" of Micro 4/3 - good quality small/portable gear.

I didn't watch the entire Northrup video, but before I got bored of listening to him talking, he was talking a lot about equivalent depth-of-field requiring similar-sized lenses. That's not wrong at all - but it also somewhat misses the point that the lens still has decent light transmission (t-stop) properties.

Is my Smartphone smaller than a Yi M1 with the Panasonic 14/2.5? Sure. Can I instantly put on a small 70-200 equivalent lens with decent quality? On my Smartphone, I can't. On the Yi, I can.
    Can I get 4k/120 fps on a Smartphone? No. Can I get it on the tiny Z-Cam E2 which has interchangeable lenses? Yes.

Will Micro 4/3 die without major vendors supporting it? Yup - and it probably will. It still has a number of years left, though.

• In contrary to the angry zealots at the m43rumors forum I belive Tony has valid points. I'm a heavy M43 user but in general the writing might be on the wall on this issue. Unfortunately. Mainly because of the small market share that M43 in general has obtained in the past 10 years. The higher prices have not helped much either. Just look at the price increase from GH2->GH3->GH4->GH5. The actuall hardware cost from i.e. GH3 to GH5 is basically not the reason for the hefty premium pricing now long into the FF sector.

• For starters, horrible clickbait title.

• What are your thoughts on this video?

• VK's inside info reveals the Company that gave us the GH2,4 and 5 has fundamentally changed to one seeking margin, not volume, in partnering with Leica on those photo cameras.

Don't care what they do with L mount, so long as they keep chasing volume with MFT cameras.

• @Ironfilms

I think the alluded to sage advise from VK and Obi Wan with one slight modification is: "These are not the cameras you're looking for.. move along"

VK's inside info reveals the Company that gave us the GH2,4 and 5 has fundamentally changed to one seeking margin, not volume, in partnering with Leica on those photo cameras.

Not that they may never release groundbreaking new cams for MFT as a byproduct of FF advances, but it seems research dollars are shifting away from MFT to FF no matter how you cut it.

The big Hint / Reveal was at Photokina where they don't even pretend they have a new M43 body in the works, and they are the key founding member!

I think Olympus or BMD may help us and be "our only hope" for serious MFT video, with Sony's permission of course...

• And also we would like to produce more cinema lenses designed for exceptional video quality.

Oh!!! That is news. As they're not making any now at the moment.

Mr. Uematsu: About the MFT standard. The standard means that we have fixed about the interface between a lens and camera body, and also the optical image circle and flange back. However, we never make any discussion with Olympus about the products itself. For the MFT we only have an agreement about the lens mount, without discussing specifics of our products. This could possibly lead to competition between our products. Therefore you may find almost the same specs lenses made by Panasonic and Olympus. If we can make any good discussion, we can make very good balance among products of two companies. But it is strictly prohibited by antitrust law. For the L-mount alliance, the licenser is Leica, Panasonic and also Sigma are just licensee.

Ms. Fujiwara: We have no information which other companies will get the license for L-mount as Leica owns the license. This will be the Leica’s decision to which other companies to offer the license for the L-mount.

Interesting. So Leica might still keep strict control over L mount? I seriously hope not!

Instead opening up the mount to some third party organisation to manage it, like was done with MFT.

PV: During the IBC I have noticed a lack of any Lumix cameras at the booth of the Panasonic Broadcast & ProAV Team. I am wondering if this is due to considerations that GH5 or GH5s are not suitable there, or due to little communication between divisions? At the same time I've seen a few interesting cameras and solutions which can be interesting for the regular customers, for example, remote camera systems, which probably can be used together with the consumer cameras. Do you share the information between Consumer and ProAV teams? Could we see in the future some of the advanced consumer cameras, to be used, for example, as a part remotely-controlled camera solution?

Yes, I wish those divisions were on friendly terms. Then we might have seen a Panasonic EVA1 MFT! Sigh :-/

• I am sure Panasonic has a 'Voice of the Customer' (VOC) product development team. Here is a comment I've seen not about Panasonic, but perhaps of relevance:

"...One challenge is getting the VOC team members to keep their biases of what the product must do or be to themselves, and actually listen to what the customer says. Most times, what the product development team member thinks is important and what the customer actually thinks is important (and why) are 180° apart. Then, of course, the biggest risk are business executives, who always have their own biases, may not listen to the VOC and just do what they originally wanted to do anyway...”