Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony A7 III 4K Camera with S-LOG and HLG
  • 185 Replies sorted by
  • @aldolega

Thanks, I'll make copy of the post in proper topic.

• New firmware

• Adds new features of FTP transfer
      • Allows you to transfer still images during shoot and playback operations.
      • Adds the following FTP transfer functions:
        • Allows you to narrow down the transfer target, such as protected images or non-transferred images, and transfer the images together as a batch.
        • Allows you to transfer only the image being played back by pressing the custom key.
        • Allows you to transfer all images automatically while shooting.
        • Allows you to select the setting to transfer both RAW file and JPEG taken in RAW+JPEG format to an FTP server.
      • Update the destination folder configuration.
        • Allows you to register up to nine FTP servers. (Previous was up to 3)
        • Allows you to change the destination folder configuration on the FTP server:
          • Save image data directly under the folder that you choose.
          • Register the media card slot number in the folder configuration.
          • Register the folder configuration same as your camera.
        • Improved operability of FTP transfer function.
          • Allows you to set items under Server Setting by using the smartphone application Transfer & Tagging add-on.
    • Improves the overall stability of the camera.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7m3

• When talking about video, does anyone know of a good method to tweak the colors, maybe through a custom profile, so that they look closer to real life? Especially human skin. I have one of these cameras and use a custom profile, but is not quite right.

I don't necessarily mean "Canon colors" or "Fuji tones" but just good enough so that people don't look like they have a skin disease or a chronic illness. Even if tweaking "by eye", it will be good enough for me, just not sure what values to tweak. Perhaps someone has good profile settings to share?

Not really interested in log or correcting in post. I would like to bake-in the look. I mean, even my 10 year old camcorder looks better when shooting human skin in full auto.

• @theusualeditor

No such thing as "bake-in" look and colors exist.

I suggest to check last Resolve color controls and learn some color manipulation things.

They got idea from http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8783/3d-lut-creator-best-tool-for-camera-matching-and-video-grading#Item_92, so can also check it.

• @theusualeditor

I have the A7III and A7RIV with Zeiss lenses and I have no problem with skin tones. I use this custom profile when I don't want to edit in post for the A7III :

Black level : 0

Gamma : Still

Black Gamma : Range : wide, level +5

Color mode :Pro

Color Phase : -1

Color Depth : R +2, G +1, B +2, C -2, M -1, Y-2.

Note that you can recover a lot of "burned" whites with the A7III in post, white levels was oddly implemented before the A7RIV resulting in nuclear highlights all over the place with custom profiles (exept HLG and S-log).

• @yaz72 Thanks for the settings, I loaded them on a profile and it looks more contrast-y than the ones I had been using recently. Someone posted FX9 S-Cinetone look-alike settings for the A7SIII that I further modified based on people's comments of the A7III's capabilities. See below

Black Level: -5

Gamma: Cine4

Black Gamma: Range Wide, Level +5

Knee: Mode Manual, 100%, Slope 0

Color Mode: Pro

Saturation -1

Color Phase: -1

Color Depth: R+1, G+2, B0, C+1, M+1, Y+1

Detail: Level -7

The idea is using the footage as recorded with almost no adjustments. A user said:

"I tried cine4 with knee settings on the a7 iii and indeed: all the knee settings cause clipping (in the highlights) because knee is only made for rec709 or movie gamma. If you set it lower than +5 (which means KNEE OFF) the highlights just get pulled down and clip before they reach the maximum value, you can even see it in the histogram on the display. I guess it’s the same on the A7SIII but maybe it’s different because the A7SIII has more DR in total"