Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Melodyne sound editor
  • The Melodyne editor promises to make working with audio as fluid as working with MIDI.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • I own Melodyne and have used it for many years. It's not bad but it really depends on what your source material is and what you intend to do with it. The more severe you alter an audio file the more noticeable the processing is. I can't say that it's a very easy or intuitive interface.

The thing is that now most of the Audio Editing programs like Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Cubase and Logic have this kind of functionality built into the program. If you edit with Avid then Pro Tools could be a more powerful option for Audio editing and if you use FCP then perhaps Logic (owned by Apple) or Digital Performer would flow very nicely in NLE workflow.
    IMO it's probably better to use one of these DAW programs which have the same kind of feature built in and in addition can provide many other editing features and audio processing.
  • @Aria

Have you checked Melodyne in the past 5 years?
    Melodyne is the only algorithm that actually works when pitch shifting. Time shifting has been added to most DAWs but -say- Logic's Flex Time isn't anywhere near Melodyne in quality.
    Melodyne is simply brilliant. And all the videos on their website are jawdropping.

Also interesting is the video where Melodyne creator Peter Neubäcker talks about his concept. Really interesting stuff on harmonics, and sound as shape.
  • >Also interesting is the video where Melodyne creator Peter Neubäcker talks about his concept. Really interesting stuff on harmonics, and sound as shape.

Do you have a link to this one?
  • The melodyne site for some reason doesn't allow linking to nested elements but i can guide you to it.
    http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=videos#top then go to the tab Backstage, and select "What does a stone sound like?"
    The videos about DNA (Direct Note Access) are also ground-breaking. No other software can split a signal into the different partials so intelligently.
  • >@Aria

Have you checked Melodyne in the past 5 years?
    Melodyne is the only algorithm that actually works when pitch shifting. Time shifting has been added to most DAWs but -say- Logic's Flex Time isn't anywhere near Melodyne in quality.
    Melodyne is simply brilliant. And all the videos on their website are jawdropping.<<br />

@Johnnym, I said that i've been using Melodyne for years. Since 2005 in fact. I wasn't saying that it doesn't work. I only added that if someone is using a DAW to do advanced audio editing that they likely have a similar feature already built into their DAW program.
    Cubase has "VariAudio", Digital Performer has "Pitch Automation"... for some users it may be a faster and more intuitive workflow to just use what is already in the DAW they own.
  • @Aria

I think none of the options you list are of the same quality as melodyne.
    Also, we're discussing Melodyne Editor here, which is a plugin that will load in any DAW, and works in a very simple way (load in your audio, manipulate in melodyne editor).
    That's why i ask if you ever used this. It seems you only have experience with Melodyne Studio, but then if you have Studio, you should normally have Editor also, since it comes with it.
  • Melodyne completes my friend's studio. I am amazed at some of the A/B comparisons when reviewing the build of the mix.
  • Celemony released Version 2.1.2 of their Melodyne editor, assistant and essential software.
    Update brings compatibility with OS X 10.9 Mavericks, improves handling of large files and runs more reliably in all DAWs

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=products_editor

• New version - v5.0

• Thanks @MikeLynn looks interesting.