Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Old wide angle lenses (24mm, 28mm) on m43 ?
  • 106 Replies sorted by
  • I can highly reccomend the Nikkor 28/2 AIS - lovely old school glass.
  • ap, and the Samyang has a close focus of macro 1:6x wich is about 20cms, it can be used without changing any hardware setting just by rotating the focus ring.

i can take some pics if you are interested in pixel peeping, but to me it looks reeeeaally good, new lenses to me look oversharped and videoish
  • i have just bought a Samyang mc automatic 1:2.8 f=28mm (canon FD mount) and is sharper than the (probably bad copy) Canon 28mm 2.8 (canon FD mount) i used to have (that one cost me U$60)
    , the funny thing is that i manage to get an unopened box, so my samyang is brand new :)
    it cost me arround U$60

also, i now have a Canon 20mm f2.8 (canon FD mount), (that i get on a trade, i exchange a 80-200 f4 canon fd + the canon fd 28mm 2.8 + U$40) and i must say that i absolutely love it, specially because i can place a wide adapter in front, of course loosing some sharpness in the corner but not on the center, but, i still can use it wide open with the adapter, and i actually use a 58mm wide adapter with step down rings ( being the canon fd 20mm, 72mm in the front) without any vignetting, so i can have something like a 15mm at 2.8; the wide adapter is a Vivitar series1 0.43x threaded in the back at 58mm, and that cost me U$15 on B&H a few months ago
  • The Minolta Rokkor 28mm 2.8 is not bad, but the 21mm 2.8 has pretty bad CA.

In wide-angle land, legacy glass below 35mm can't compete with modern lenses, I second Vitaliy's comment.
  • >Anything against Panasonic 25mm F1.4 ?
    Apart from the focus-by-wire, not really, but it's not for me, and I'm just looking at possible alternatives.
    The reason I looked at Leica lenses was because I may buy an M6 sometime in the future, and because I have a friend who already have one and a GF1, it could have been a nice photo/video combo.
    I may start buying a good canon FD body (ie F1), to use the FD lenses I bought lately. I will look at M6 if I'm enjoying 35mm film photography
  • Anything against Panasonic 25mm F1.4 ?
    You must understand that old full frame glass normally can't compete with Noktor, and especially Leica glass.
    You can look at 28mm Vivitar, I mean cheap F2.8 lenses.