Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony FE lens aperture control failure
  • Hi Guys,

I'm on my once in a lifetime around the world trip and my Sony FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS broke down in middle of nowhere in Philippines.

The problem:

• Camera body (Sony A7sII) does not recognize lens aperture and it cannot be controlled. When switching lens on and off and flicking camera power the camera might show the right aperture just for 0,5 seconds and then disappear into -.

• Lens aperture sometimes randomly "hunts" between aperture fully open and closed until it always gets stuck in closed (~f36).

• Focusing works very randomly. Focus mode cannot be changed due to "Lens not attached properly or not supported"

• Still photos can be taken (not in focus) but no video cannot be recorded.

• There is a strange ticking sound inside the lens when camera power is turned on and lens attached.

Tried fixes:

• Contacts are cleaned and no physical damage can be seen on the lens. Other lenses Sony FE lenses work fine with the camera body.

Have you guys experienced similar problems with Sony FE lenses??

I'm truly getting desperate. :(