Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Ultra wide low light option for GH4
  • Hi there Im looking to get lens for shooting underground parties. I already own Lumix 12-35 2.8 and 20mm f1.7. Still Im not satisfied with them in low light. I would love something that is wider (7mm) and faster for gigs shooting. Fixed lenses with manual aperture and focus are not problem to me. But Im opened to any solution. Thanks!

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • I've been debating on getting the Voigtlander 10.5mm but not sure how it will compare with the new Rokinon 20mm f/1.8 + XL Speedbooster. I know the focal lengths are a little different, but I'm curious as to how they compare quality-wise.

• I have a bunch of these and my personal feeling is that if you want LL, and wide, and quality, get one of the Sony's, either this year or last year, and put any kind of lens you want on it and shoot perfect photos in the dark.

• @CFreak thanks for your kind words!

• Great to see @brianc1959 is still reading and posting here! Love your work Sir!

• If you're shooting 4k video, a 0.64x Speed Booster XL, which is optimized for the GH4, would give you a 7mm f/1.8 in combination with the Tokina 11-16 or 11-20mm zooms. A Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 with the XL will give you a 6.4mm f/1.8, which may be the widest fast lens available. You can get significantly wider with a Sigma 8-16, becoming a 5.1 - 10.2mm, but its relatively slow at f/2.8 on the wide end.

Note that if you're shooting stills with the GH4 you can encounter vignetting depending on the hood design.

• @aldolega Thanks! I was thinking same option. At least to order speedbooster and then I can choose. But one again that would be heavy option.

@bannedindv I have my eyes on it! waiting price to drop a little bit :)

@Tscheckoff Thanks for this info! Could be useful.

• If you don´t need it NOW -> Then wait for the Laowa 7.5mm F2 lens. ^^

• I would love that 10.5mm Voigtlander lens! Got the popular 25mm, at some point it would be nice to get the whole set, beautiful images with these things

• Try this bad boy. You (might) be able to toss on an 0.7x wide angle adapter on the front and get even crazier.

http://amzn.to/2fy8VsJ

• If f1.7 isn't fast enough and you want a 7mm (14mm FF equivalent) you don't really have any options. You can speedboost a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and that will give you a ~15-16mm equivalent with an f2 brightness, but that's still narrower and slower than you want. None of the f0.95 lenses that are out there are even close to that wide.

I would consider switching to an A7s/A7sII.