Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Xiaomi Xiaoyi YI-M1 m43 camera, 4K video, $213 only now for kit
  • 303 Replies sorted by
  • @samuelcabral

Actually unpacking/repacking is almost done (yet not completely)

Just need developer with some time

• I don't think someone will hack it. It looks like a lot of work for just one person. But yeah... this hacked could be a great cam. It even have 2k mode! Imagine if we could have 2k 12bit 24fps. For now i want a better codec, better manual operation no time limit and hdmi output.

Ps: Does someone know how to remove/replace the turn off boot animation?

• anybody tried yi m1 with Viltrox EF-M2 (cheap but nice speedboster)? With for example Sigma 18-35 1.8, Canon 50 1,8 - it could be great and cheap package.

It will be great also to create somewhere place, forum for users m1 - maybe someone can make hack for this camera (for exampe 4K 60 fps could be nice + bitrate mod)

• @eatstoomuchjam

Yep, it seems it is stupid to expect any new feature.

At best we'll get M2 camera, at worst - nothing.

• New firmware version 3.2-int released on Sept. 5 2018:

https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-m1-mirrorless-camera-firmware

According to the release notes, the only improvement on this one over the prior version (3.1-int released December 19 2017) is that it fixes an issue where previews weren't working right on iOS 11.

• Our own practical and personal look at this camera:

• I'm interested in recording clean HDMI 4k from this camera, pre processing. Is it possible or has anybody done a mod? All ambarella cameras could do with such a mod, and neutral picture with 10+ bits

• Also here is modded firmware to make English work on Chinese M1s

https://yadi.sk/d/floHucRy3PK6F3

• @samuelcabral

This is nice news. Just sad to see how people write simple unpacker in JavaScript.

Will be good idea to invite author here.

• sa1577.jpg
    800 x 594 - 77K
  • They are just focused in other products.. It would be awesome a world where they would release the SDK just because they just don't give a shit.

Well, it just needs firmware changes. Not SDK or any other marketing stuff.

• Well... it's still a good B camera. They are just focused in other products.. It would be awesome a world where they would release the SDK just because they just don't give a shit.

• @samuelcabral

I actually prefer to see following:

• Ability to select among 15/25/35/50/100Mbit for each 1080p mode.
    • Exposure adjustments must be visible before recording starts
    • Camera needs false color mode, also showing actual info before recording
    • Camera needs better peaking and better manual focus help

Main Yi M1 issue for common folks is that it is aimed at beginner, so before shooting screen is fine and looks like good exposure (for video modes).

Actually we had been using M1s since IBC for exhibitions (including CES) as second camera.
    And this thing that got most complains I ever heard (despite that we have small tips list of its weird behavior).

• I am keeping the Yi M1 (especially as I can pass it off as a Leica!)

Oh that is indeed cunning!

• Any news about unlimited recording? What else we can expect from a future firmware update?

• Yi M1 v3.1 firmware released, can update via app

• adds bracketing in RAW+JPG mode
    • fix face detectiion randomly disabled
    • fix touch capture randomly disabled
    • fix focusing stuck on continuous
    • fix aperture flikering
    • FW update will RESET all camera setting.

https://d3pk9z7j5el572.cloudfront.net/images/Firmware%2BV3.1-int.zip

• I think the Yi M1 is a great camera B camera and the sensor is great as is! It's incredible how amazing the RAW pictures are... But again... after shoot RAW VIDEO with a Canon EOS M (first edition) it bothers me how the companies limit their hardware just to sell newer cameras... Yi M1 with a good codec like CineForm would be just a slap on Canon's (or any other big compoany) face.

• To be fair, the GX80 with a lens is twice as much as the Yi M1 and so the usability should be much better. It does have a couple of killer features over the Yi M1 and Z camera E1 cameras. Movable screen and built in 5 axis stabilization.

The 7 and a half minute time limitation in 4K is one of my biggest negatives of the Yi M1. I have already returned my Z camera E1 to B&H and will be getting a replacement unit soon and so I'm currently not able to test the recording limit until it comes in the mail (Wish I did when I still had the camera) but I think it might be able to record 4K videos longer than the Yi can. Someone with the E1 should verify if that's correct or not. If it's able to record 4K videos much longer, than that would have been another camera you could have considered and it's currently $250. The controls isn't as friendly as it is on the Yi camera and theirs no touch screen but it's still not too bad. It just take a little bit extra work to get the settings you want but still offers you full manual controls like the Yi.