Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Is high ISO acceptable on GH2?
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias

Well, there are extremes and then there are extremes.

Personally I find the actual low light capabilities not as interesting as the look that can be achieved with it. But someone might feel differently, of course! :)
  • @thepalalias Yeah, there's that. Deal with what one is dealt and make something out of it. Tell a story regardless of the circumstances. If the fish likes the worm, nothing else matters. For the details on how results were achieved and to learn how to improve, I come here.

#RRRR It's all part of the pallet, isn't it? Candy colored beauty isn't always what's needed, but it's nice to know how to get it. Cheers.
  • Should we keep camera NR(noise reduction) setting to 0 or -2?
  • @PixCanFly I shoot at -2. That gives you more flexibility for reducing the noise in post (if you find you want to) and it makes it a little easier for the camera to process, too.

By that I mean that a couple months ago I shot footagewith both settings (though ISO was obviously lower) and I got write speed errors with higher NRon some cards with some settings where they could shoot fine with NR at -2. The patches I use are more stable now, so it doesn`t tend to be an issue, but thought I`d mention the consideration.
  • Nacht • GH2 Driftwood Patch SeAQuake Ver.B

Night in a small town. Dynamic B&W - High ISO Driftwood SeAQuake Ver.B patch. Not graded or filtered, 1080 24p.

Lenses used Lumix 14mm 2.5, Canon FD 50mm SCC 1.4, Canon FD 35mm 2.0

Thanks to @Driftwood for the patch. Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!
  • In the continuing "just getting footage at all" as opposed to "getting good looking footage" I present this clip of the recent Santa Ana winds blowing some trees near my house, taken at night from my window when the power was out. The flash partway through is lightening that yielded no thunder.

This was several hours before the power mishap resulted in my mild electrocution but it was after I had to make several alterations to my route to get home due to the fallen trees (and had to spend several minutes moving fallen branches out of my driveway to get home).

vimeo.com/33044695

The password is "personal view" (all lower case).
  • With just a little more light, Canon FD 50.4 SSC, f-stops 2.0, 2.8 and ±3200 ISO. 3 shots, clip-wrapped and ungraded. Canon Colors, Vibrant -2, 0, 0, 0. >> Password: personal view

BTW, I figured out what was causing the massive flares on the 50mm B&W footage earlier, it still had the cheap Hoya/Hama UV filter on from auction.