Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Voigtlander lenses
  • When filming on the GH2 I`d like to shoot on Voigtlander lenses.

I'd be great to hear your feedback on it in term of sharpness, DOF, Bokeh and types.

I am primarily interest in the 25 mm 0.95 as it fits straight on the GH2 but als on
    the Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35mm F1.4, 50 mm f1.1. and 50mm f1,5 which
    require an adapter.

What experiences do did you make? What adapter do you recommand and whats
    the difference using on?

Looking forward to your replies.

Best,
    Alex
  • 69 Replies sorted by

Sharpness in the frame center is outstanding at maximum aperture, with very good levels on the edges. Stopping down improves edges of the frame to excellent levels between f/5.6 and f/8, outstanding clarity in the center of the frame remains.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/voigtlander-28mm-f-2-8-color-skopar-sl-ii-slr-lens-review-23283

lishuai20.jpg
    800 x 537 - 113K
    lishuai21.jpg
    800 x 545 - 162K
    lishuai22.jpg
    529 x 413 - 50K
  • @stonebat voigtlander 58 or 50 (which mount) ?

or leica summicron r 50? what do you guys think?

• @RRRR Cosina renewed a lot of lenses after they released 25mm 0.95. I got the renewed 58mm 1.4 Nikon mount one, and they show pretty much identical color matching. Yes same t-value.

• @thisguysthelimit Snorkel-funnel-chug! Crack me up.

You just sold me on a Voigtländer. Keep the fab works coming.

• @stonebat: do they compare well or are they "just" named nokton as well? It would be nice to see some tests of this. I was thinking about it.. Looks like I´m getting the 17.5 and possibly the 25 soon so the thought of a set has gone through my head several times – but then I figured, if m43 mount continues to have success I´m pretty sure there will be an ultra wide 9-12, something and a 40-50 out before long..

• @nomad thanks for the advice. Will go check it out.

• @feha Try Nokton 58mm 1.4 SL II N. Plus Nokton 35mm 1.2 would complete your set.

• How about using Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS as collection part of 17.5 and 25 mm Nokton ? Does contrast/colors/character match or is it a big difference ?

• Yes, I own both the Samyang and quite a few Rokkors.

To match the Noktons (relatively soft but good bokeh) get the Samyang or an old Rokkor 85mm 1:1.7 (hard to chase down) or the tiny Rokkor 85mm1:2 (a bit easier to get, slightly harsher bokeh). Colors quite similar to the Voigt.

• Yep, there are quite some choices. I own the two Noktons and I am looking for a good long tele lens that works with them. So I hoped that the look of the Heliar would be similar... The Oly is tempting due to its performance and the fact that is was built for this system, but I am worried the look of that lens might be too different from the Noktons. A lot of people are talking about the Rokinon Samyang 85mm. @nomad any experience with it?

I hope I find a dealer somewhere that has a couple of these lenses for testing...

• Well, at 75 to 85mm you have a lot of choices, from old Russian lenses like Jupiter 9 through vintage glass like Minolta, Canon FD or Nikon all the way to Samyang/Rokinon 85mm 1.4 (lots of character, but a tad softer) or the new Olympus (super sharp).

IMHO, the two high-speed Voigtländers are something quite different.

• I am thinking about buying a Voigtländer Heliar 75mm 1.8. Does anyone own one or had a chance to shot with one? If so, would you tell me what you think of it? THX!

• Shot on Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 at f1.4 with ND Fader using one of Driftwood's first hacks. The 44mbps I believe.

I've found that shooting at f0.95 is almost always too soft but it's incredible when you NEED it.

• @kazuo I haven't compared the relative ND fader strength on different lenses because it's too easy for the fader to get adjusted while switching and I find the marks on some of them to be unreliable indicators.

Generally, when I was shooting f0.95 with the Nokton there were two possibilities. 1) It was low light and I didn't want any kind of ND on the lens or 2) I wanted a bit of a softer look.

By the time that lens hits f2.8, it's definitely sharp. So that's what I would use if I wanted a sharper look with a [edited] shallower DOF, even if I had to adjust the camera placement slightly. :)
  • You realize that shooting at .95 gives you about 1.2 ft of acceptable depth of field for objects 10 feet away? EVERYTHING else will be soft.
  • @thepalalias

have you tried shooting the Nokton with an ND fader? Not the easiest thing to do cos the glass is generally 1/2 a stop brighter. I tried it wide open at 0.95, but stopped down using the ND. Images were soft soft soft
  • @thepalalias great to have your examples to have a look at. Thanks for support mate!
  • @Alexauwa F13 and F16 are best avoided in terms of sharpness. Here's another example that's more tightly focused. These tiny crops are taken from the bottom edge, near the center.

This time, starting with the F8.0 and continuing to F16.

The last picture is the full shot at f4.0.
    _1630370 f8.0_cr_cr.jpg
    244 x 145 - 50K
    _1630371 f9.5_cr_cr.jpg
    244 x 145 - 50K
    _1630372 f11_cr_cr.jpg
    244 x 145 - 49K
    _1630373 f13_cr_cr.jpg
    244 x 145 - 48K
    _1630374 f16_cr_cr.jpg
    244 x 145 - 47K
    _1630366 f4.0.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 7M