Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 no longer re-focusing during filming on shutter half press. WTF?
  • Hi folks,

This is weird. I fired up my GH2 today after not using it for a few months. Freshly charged battery.

I don't remember having changed any settings, and I'm using my same C2 custom preset as always. For whatever reason, I cannot get the camera to let me refocus with the half-press shutter technique when I'm filming. It just doesn't work. If I hunt around with my finger I eventually end up pressing too hard and the camera stops filming.

It's set to AF-s, with Shutter AF ON, and Half-press release OFF. (Maybe these are wrong?) I tried on both the 20mm pancake and the 14-42 kit lens.

Anybody else run into this? Any idea what it might be?

UPDATE! OK, I just messed around some more and found something even weirder! If I slightly move the camera body while half-pressing, then the autofocus works on half press. But if I hold the camera still (like on my monopod) it just won't refocus. I don't recall ever having this problem before. Sometimes the AF would hunt a bit when I would half-press refocus during filming, but it was at least responsive even when I held the camera still.

Thanks in advance!

Lori