Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry one more @AKED: Are they excited by recent advancements in on-sensor PDAF such as in the a6300 and how much longer do they intend to hitch their boat to a tech that's being increasingly outpaced? Cheers.

• Cool cheers Vitaliy. That's all Greek to me but I understand 'slightly' :P

• Perhaps it will be covered in the presser but I'm also curious as to the specifics of the "New gyro-sensor technology Dual IS MK II."

They just slightly improved mode were bosh stabilizers work together.

Note - it is marketing manager, quite useless to ask him deep tech questions or any plans questions.

• @AKED Has the sensor supply issues had any meaningful impact on release dates and if so have they been able to include further advancements in the cameras as a consequence of an extended development window?

Will the GH5 rock the new sensor-shift stablization system? Even if they don't know can they give some insight into the GH5 specific challenges associated with its inclusion.

What's the rationale for not increasing the G80's in-camera 1080p quality when they even appear to be addressing it with the FZ2500 (this one is announcement dependent and is based on B&H leak material). Will a GX8 replacement perhaps see an improvement in this regard?

Perhaps it will be covered in the presser but I'm also curious as to the specifics of the "New gyro-sensor technology Dual IS MK II."

• @AKED Also interested in CineD available on the new cams G80 etc. And where is the 6K :)

• @Tron, No it is not Matt Fraser. I interviewed him during the last Photokina. Also, Matt is american and my interview partner will be british. His name is Neil Lloyd-Meek

• @AKED I'd like to know:

1. what they see as the future of Vlog in the GH line and if it'll come to the G (ex: G6, G7) line of cameras?
    2. if they see a need to improve on the less than 8bit version they released?
    3. How do they see their cameras comparing to the Sony A6300 feature set (high ISO, good Slog, low price, etc.) ?

Thanks!

• @AKED If it's Matt Frazer you're in good hands, he knows a ton about the GH cameras and their product placement strategy.

I'd like to know what their plan is with regard to HDR video. It would be great if they had in-camera processing for Log files the same way they do for Raw stills. It would be awesome to be able to copy to Rec 2020, 709 or an HDR10 profile after some tweaking is applied in camera.

• @AKED I'd like to know which, if any of the announced cameras will have 4096 x 2160 DCI Cinema 4k, and if it will still be locked as 24 fps only.

• I am having an interview for personal view at the Panasonic stand with a Production-Trainer on Tuedsay regarding: "News from the Lumix System". I assume that he will repeat everything from the press conference on Monday, but any questions you want me to ask?

• With gx85'ish IBIS, I'm on board. Just waiting patiently.

• I am sure Panasonic made contracts with those who have one, that nothing leaks before the official date of release.

• Sept 19 is 10 days away so, if gh5 is coming out, there should already be some pre production models around for first impressions, hands on and previews...

• Some explanations about 6k photo mode in GH5: The camera has 4k 60p in video (10bit 4:2:2) and 4K photo mode. The 6K30p is a Photo Mode feature only! It does not 6K at 16:9 because the sensor isn’t width enough. It works just like the current 4K mode on the GH4. ON the GH5 the 6K Photo mode will do 18MP in 4:3 ratio at 30fps. http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-gh5-6k-photo-mode-works/

• Well, tell that to Canon and the 5d Mark IV.

• @DrDave

Do not worry, at worst it can be H.264 I frames only. They won't be making it MJPEG.

• Sure, it could easily be interpolated. MJPEG would be really big file sizes, but I'm assuming it could also be very good quality. Not sure if Panasonic needs to find processor pverheat or heat related solutions since they always have been ahead of the game. I expect this to be a "warm" camera but not a patio heater like the a6300.

• @DrDave

It can be also interpolated even, some marketing stuff to allow GH5 to hold against upcoming 4k 60-100fps cameras with 10-12bits HEVC encoding.

• Well, I suppose it's useless to speculate, but 6K could be MJPEG to take the load off the processor. Or it could just be the 4K photo mode with an upgrade. We will know soon. I hope it is the multi sensor.

• gotcha ya....my mistake....didn't read the full specs. Well I'll be surprised if this is a full 6k multi aspect camera !

• ...then the 6k wouldn't be 16:9

Why? I just want to understand logic.

As multi aspect sensor is wider than 4:3.

• ...then the 6k wouldn't be 16:9 .....well even if.....if the 4k specs are accurate ....it's a big step

• @kurth

This can be either inaccurate, or it is wider multi aspect sensor.

• well....I'll be interested in how they miraculously create 6k from a 20mp sensor !

• I removed @paglez post as it was double post directly above.