Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Yeah I would be surprised to see alot of 'non professionals' buying the gh5 to film their family holidays at the £2000 mark. ! I would be surpised even if the jobbing wedding videographer would pay this price over something like the G80?!?

Panasonic seemed to have, as you said created purposely a bigger price gap between the G line and the GH line, to differentiate between the two markets. To me the G line going forward will be the market I will be focused on, with my first purchase being the G80...

• Well

The Dutch Store Fotokonijnenberg.nl listed the new Olympus E-M1II with a price of €1.999,00

• Pretty much spot on then with your prediection?..I assume the GH5 will come in around the same price, if not more

• To me it really comes down to the sensor. I don't need 10-bit video, I just need the best MFT sensor available. So if they do something cool, e.g. slightly bigger and multi-aspect, more sensitive, etc., $2000 is still a hell of a lot cheaper than a Sony. Otherwise, G85 it is, or maybe pony up for the Oly.

• Why the mystery of Panasonic of dont publish the official specifications? Anyway, dont be able to acquire through 2017.

• Why the mystery of Panasonic of dont publish the official specifications?

They have their reason. I think we will see controlled leaks, in 3-4 rounds. They want to keep some interest, as if they disclose all including price most people will just turn off from it and forget.

• GH became canon C line now :) In 2300 EU price range JVC 300 is nearly there. G80 is preferably new good line for me but small battery is a deal breaker. Tough decisions a head

• Well, in US used on Amazon LS300 is $2499 https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00USBVISE/

And it is superb camera for the task, two cards, recording in two formats at once. For any fast handheld work and fast editing it is superior (you can instantly send proxy files, get edited result, ingest actual footage and here you go).

GH5 is for people who want top features, 4K at 60fps.

• I don't expect we'll see less than $2000 for the GH5. I wouldn't be too surprised to see $2500, and I will still pay it, assuming that it'll have IBIS, dual cards, and decent bitrates. At those specs nothing else is even close, unless Sony steps up afterwards, but I expect that if they do they'll want closer to $4000.

• Ok VK, then Panasonic try create expectations.

• I also think that Panasonic is on the track of reconstructing their Lumix lines. GH is for cinematographer 4K CINE, G for anything less than 4K CINE, GX for pro photographer with less interest in video, GF for vlogs and selfiers, and GM for light point and shot. Yes, it means GH future line will up in price and their current position will be taken by G line.

Panasonic may saw that not every videographer is doing 4K CINE. By doing this kind of reconstruction, Panasonic will provit more from GH and G line.
  • I see BHPhoto are stating the GH5 will be out 'SUMMER' 2017.

Thats a fair time to go, wonder if the GH4 will get any FW Fixes between now and then?

I told - actual expected time for first batch shipping is from March 2017 to more real August 2017.

Thats a fair time to go, wonder if the GH4 will get any FW Fixes between now and then?

None, except some lens support related or small bug fix.

• @yskunto and the AGF100 successor?

@thetrickster that is very late, knowing Sony for summer 2017 they will be releasing the A7SIII.

• @manu4Vendetta I do not know. I am not Panasonic. Hahaha..

Maybe GH5 is targeting AGF100 users that in search for smaller form factor but already invest on m43. Maybe they will introduce, or they already?, super35 format as the successor of AGF100? Again, I do not know... it is a speculation
  • It's hard for me to imagine they can maintain a $1,000+ price gap between the GH5 and G85. The GH4 exists in the model lineup at $1,499 and many have already opted to go to the cheaper G85 with superior IBIS and internal 8 bit 4:2:2.

I think they should price their bodies at $1,699 for the GH5, $1,199 for the GH4, $899 for the G85 and $1,999 for a GH5/XLR bundle.

• I would be surpised even if the jobbing wedding videographer would pay this price over something like the G80?!?

Why not? Many many many MANY wedding videographers leapt onto buying the 5Dmk3 back in its time, and a 5Dmk3 cost back then far far more than a GH5 will ever cost.

• @Tron Finally, someone is making sense about pricing. There is too much competition. A $1999 GH5 is more than many people are willing to pay for a m43 camera.

• @Ironfilm Because at the time the Mk3 outclassed anything else image wise...these days you can get a great great image, a better image than the mk3 at around the £500 mark..

Where is that?

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 22.58.58.jpg
    1468 x 1020 - 227K
  • Hope they fix their color science. I never really liked any of Panasonic's profiles, even VLog.

• It says early 2017 for gh5. Someone on BH site guesses it means summer.

Also, there is conflicting information about color bit depth for the g85/g80. As usual these companies do not want consumers to know this information when the bit depth is 8bit 420. Hopefully it will be 422 on its release.

• At least B&H is honest with customers.

Now we only need another small quake :-)