Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon 5D Mark IV official topic

Specifications

• 30.4Mp CMOS FF sensor
    • Dual AF capability
    • 61 AF points
    • 150,000-pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
    • 4kp30, 4kp24 500mbit MJPEG mode, 4:2:2 recording
    • 1080p60, 720p120 video H.264
    • Image processing engine DIGIC6 +
    • LCD 3.2" 1.62Mdots, touch screen
    • 100% FOV viewfinder, 0.71x magnification
    • 7 fps serial shooting
    • 15 million actuations shutter life
    • Wi-Fi (only old n standard), GPS, NFC
    • Mirror vibration control system
    • SD and CompactFlash slots
    • Special RAW mode preserving all Dual Pixel info
    • USB 3.0
    • HDMI output
    • Dust and water protected
    • 150.7mm x 116.4mm x 75.9mm
    • 890g with battery
    • $3499 US, €3,699 in Europe, $4299 CAD in Canada, shipping at October 1st
    • Preorder at http://www.adorama.com/ica5dm4.html
    img1150.jpg
    496 x 488 - 34K
  • 151 Replies sorted by
  • Why not to choose between the LX100, GH4, FZ1000, or the upcoming G7 if 4k is the thing that you want?

• I think the 5D Mark IV will be the first canon DSLR with real 1080p.

• Hopefully it will make the 5DIII price drop under 2k

• I am using a GH4. It's about the full frame Sensor recording in 4k im interested in.

I read that there might be two version of the mark 4 one particulary for video.

• Release next week.

Preliminary specs

• 30.4Mp CMOS FF sensor
    • Dual AF capability
    • 4kp30, 4kp24, 1080p60, 720p120 video
    • 500mbit MJPEG mode, 4:2:2 recording
    • 7 fps serial shooting
    • Wi-Fi
    • SD and CompactFlash slots
  • I'm almost in shock that Canon is actually gonna put all this in a 5D! I never thought i'd see the day that they would do this with a Non "C" badged Camera. Good for Canon. I suspect this will be a major success for them. I am surprised that they are sticking with CF cards, tho that could be a selling point for users who are loaded with those cards.

• 500 Mbits mjpeg mode, 422 recording?? from what source ? I can not see anything about it in any source ..

• @last_SHIFT

Must be, as it is main trend now.

@pagelez

This one I do not remember, one of the rumors.

• If they don't use pixel binning or a full sensor read out the crop for UHD will be around 1.7x which will be smaller than APS-C size. Tough to get excited about that crop or the 500 Mbps codec. An MFT camera with Speedbooster can provide less of a crop plus an extra stop of light gathering.

• You forgot to mention 8 bit recording.

I see no reason to get exited from a video perceptive of things: probably a cropped 4k UHD video ~ 1,75x crop factor + MJPG codec which is an absolutely ancient and terrible to use (it has no hardware acceleration in modern editing programs and consumes a lot of recording and storage media).

As a still camera I'm sure it will be great thought!

• yeah, Canon just reselling what they can nothing breath taking.

• At least they're finally putting 4K in a body which will probably cost less than $5000.

It'll also be interesting to see what the magic lantern folks can do with it once the firmware is dumped.

• Yes and that's about 2 years from now once there is a stable hack for it. I can scale my raw footage to 4K image out of my 5D M3 that looks good right now.

• 5D4 specs are ok.. For me the 5D3 is all that I need in a camera I know it does not have 14 Stops of DR but if you use it's 12 spots properly you can pull-off beautiful imagery. Plus a bonus ML RAW what else can you ask for.

• It'll also be interesting to see what the magic lantern folks can do with it once the firmware is dumped.

What is the ML progress for latest bodies? As I understand it is not much.

• Ugh - the words magic lantern remind me that I still have my 50D

• @TrackZillas my point exactly.Thank you.

Use the equipment that you own, live the life and don't get addicted to the new name of outdated technology ;-)

• @robertGL Use to love the 50D image with Magic Lantern. @Tommyboy exactly use the equipment you own, I think people under estimate the power of the 5D3 RAW & don't trully know it's full potential.. Plus from the footage that I've seen it rivals a lot of the High end Cinema Cameras.

• Updated specs in first post.

• I'm not sure I could be less impressed.

• I took myself forward to the future and back and I must say I ended up buying the canon camera again 4 years from now just because they released a new one that was above and beyond other manufacturers offerings and it played so nicely with my L series lenses. Lesson learn live the life save your prime equipment (Lenses) since it doesn't scream and ask you for food.

• Battery grip image

img1193.jpg
    435 x 358 - 20K