Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Google Jump
  • AKA the video UFO, or "much to do with a f**k load of gopros"

What we know so far:

• 16 Cameras
    • Uses image computation to render 360 VR & 3D VR Scene, AKA Lightfield
    • Image computation may be too power hungry to run on a single computer- (maybe Google Compute?)
    • Youtube is now 360VR Aware- use python script to activate- with equirectangular video (4k looks like max)
    • GoPros have an extended battery (possibly the orange thing in the photo)
    • GoPros are also synced
    • Google experimenting with best material for UFO. Plastic - Metal - Wood - Unobtainium, final design will be available online
    • Looks like there may be a fisheye element on front of each camera, (otherwise how is the top & bottom captured)
    conference.jpg
    800 x 450 - 61K
    rig1.jpg
    640 x 493 - 84K
    rig2.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 260K
  • 11 Replies sorted by
  • No one cares. It is modern thing now.

• This looks kind of similar... ;-)

bigredrig.jpg
    713 x 601 - 128K
  • @VK Can you clarify?

• You don't think anyone cares about VR?
    • No-one cares about anything in general?
    • Its a 'modern' thing not to care?

(most probably all three!) ;-)

• I mean that VR is modern trend now, so companies do not care that they make until it is in trend.

• There is trend for VR now, but I think that this is different to 3D trend. (because 3D died a bad death)

There is one very big difference with VR and 3D, you can view VR on Youtube without any glasses- just you, a mouse and a screen. (or an iPhone - Tablet etc) That will always be impossible for 3D. :(

• because 3D died a bad death

To big surprise to you it did not :-) 3D in theaters live and is happy.
    3D in TVs is growing worldwide, with 4K passive TV it is looking amazing.

There is one very big difference with VR and 3D, you can view VR on Youtube without any glasses- just you, a mouse and a screen. (or an iPhone - Tablet etc) That will always be impossible for 3D. :(

It is not VR, it is shitty pitty thing. Real VR in current state is also bad.

• I'm glad you are positive about 3D. I am a bit jaded. I am aware of the 4k 3DTV's. They are great. But there just isn't enough content yet- no camera company is fixing this issue. It looks like these technologies are for future people on this planet.

• I wouldn't mind using one of these for some projects.

Official Info: http://www.google.com/get/cardboard/jump/

Video talking about it.

Video directly from the rig:

• I'm working on a 3 camera system with fisheye lenses. Many of the 'alternative' gopro m12 lenses are very high quality now- 5-10megapixel.

There is very little chance a big camera will be able to get as close as these ones. Hopefully GoPro fixes the ongoing lack of genlock once and for all.

• iZugar make fantastic low camera count rigs using 185 degree lenses and gopro 4's.

Just found an ebay 6 camera mount. Made of metal- good quality: Ebay 6 Camera

z4xb_600.png
    600 x 600 - 297K
    $_12.JPG
    500 x 500 - 31K
  • Instructions on using it: