Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Making one's own music
  • 94 Replies sorted by
  • >Your last one is probably no more difficult than the "How can I get 1000fps video at 1Tb/second on a class 2 SD card" type of thing!!

It is not.
    I even partly understand how to do it.
    Nothing impossible with implementation, every big sampler use similar technique and algorithm.
    Whole innovation is in blending existing indexing and recognition techniques with existing sampler techniques.
    And add realtime control for all this.
  • @Vitaly: http://synful.com/RPM.htm

This technology makes something similar, but with single instrument recordings. It would be possible to make a database with musical passages (rythms, hooks, arpegios, melodies and tuttis), categorized by mood, original tempo, type of texture... and blend them on the fly.
  • @zareone
    Interesting link.

I do not talk about manually made database, but database made so you'll add any amount of mp3 you have and engine will index it and allow to use in the mix (of course it could use CD info database or informational database about performers and genres). Up to many terabytes of music.
  • @zareone
    I agree with all that you say from your response to "jack of all trades, master of none". I mentioned it mainly cause it pertained to my personal situtation and is very broadly speaking, true. As much as I value the importance of sound design and music, and I like to think I have a really good taste in music, I have no formal education on music and would require a sick amount of effort to learn even basics of composing etc, so I'd rather focus on improving what I'm best at-visual arts. For unimportant stuff I'd do the sound stuff myself but for any important stuff, I'd seek collaboration. But I really admire people who attempt and can combine 2 disciplines that are so diffirent, cause they're completely different skillsets. Like, I maybe have a wide skillset being half-decent in stuff like photography-editing-color correction-directing etc, but they're still in kind of the same visual group, if you throw in sound arts in there for me, there would be no space:)
    I think it comes down to standards of excellence and aspirations. I think when one starts to go beyond "good" and wants to reach for excellence (and I'm talking Ingmar Bergmann, Tarkovsky, Kurosawa etc kind of excellence:) ), then it becomes almost mutually exclusive to do both at such high level of excellence.
    BTW, I digged the music you did for that film :) very good.

and speaking of 1 of my top five directors of all time, the genius that was Andrei Tarkovsky, I think "Stalker" is extraordinarily interesting when it comes to sound design and film score, really really worth studying. Eduard Artemyev did a spectacular job. read the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_%28film%29 and ofcourse see the film!

I leave you with some of Andrei's own words:

"I would like most of the noise and sound to be composed by a composer. In the film, for example, the three people undertake a long journey in a railway car. I'd like that the noise of the wheels on the rails not be the natural sound but elaborated upon by the composer with electronic music. At the same time, one mustn't be aware of music, nor natural sounds."
    Andrei Tarkovsky in an interview with Tonino Guerra in 1979
  • +1 on "jack of all trades, master of none".

I began this thread cuz my interest in vdslr rekindled interest in playing musical instrument. I got an ext mic, a stand, a preamp, a big headphones, and Soundbooth app from CS5 production premium suite. Hey... just grab an electronic acoustic guitar, hit the record button, and start playing. I wish there's a game for Wii... where I express my feeling by dancing... and Wii controller captures it... and translates into music. e.g. I express my anger by throwing the controller to sofa. Haha. Recently I met a guy who's been playing music for decades. No he's not a professional musician. But it seems great for self-meditation. That's how I began photography, too. Will I ever make my own music? Prolly not. I'm gonna try out the mentioned sites with royalty-free music.
  • Anyone thats into guitar at all really should know about www.warmoth.com

they are licensed by Fender to make "replacement" parts, but the stuff I've seen from them is top-notch, and you can certainly source a whole guitar from them, you just have to put it together. And they offer options and combos you will NEVER see from fender, like raw wood necks and strange pickups.
  • If you have a basic knowledge of music ,these days,there are many free softsynth's VST's (kind of like a synthesizer but from inside the pc) out that will give you great results, and you can plug them into your favorite DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) ie, pro tools, acid pro,even the free ones like reaper and control them via usb keyboard controller..most of the softsynths are organized in such a way that you can choose the type of sound/atmosphere you looking to use, and you will be surprised how little you have to do to get ok results ,now,it take a little time reading up and trying to understand the idea of midi and softsynths..I Own a music studio,I'm a musician first, but ever since i bough the hv20 about 4 years ago I fell in love with shooting..so I do both now ..
  • @Stefanos "I mentioned it mainly cause it pertained to my personal situtation and is very broadly speaking, true"

Hhehe, I feel totally the same. I work full time as a web developer. Audiovisual world has interested me since long time, but is now that I'm trying to make things. I started with music: electronic first, and then "orchestral". I put orchestral between quotes because I'm just using orchestral libraries / synths, but I have not formal music training (harmony, counterpoint, orchestration...). Serious orchestral music is something someone could dedicate his/her whole life and not get to master. Then, my interest shifted towards 3D and graphic design, photography... I wanted to do so many things, I liked so many things, that I did none of them.

Then, the video capable DSLR arrived, and I thought I could pack all my artistic interest into filmmaking. That way, you don't have one hundred projects in your head, but one which consists of several areas, interconnected. My idea is to start with simple projects, trying to do as much as I can myself, just to grasp knowledge of every aspect (writing, directing, filming, sound recording, sound design, VFX, editing, color grading...). But, if I ever want to do a serious project (be it commercial or just for fun), I will be a "Rebel WITH a crew" TM :-). I'll try to find people who shares interest for the same aesthetics, writing, themes... and to focus in the area which I'm better at, or the one I like the most.

If I were writing a script instead of posting in forums, I could have written 5 pages today! :D I can't help myelf...

Greetings!
  • This!, hahha a couple of years ago i started making music, just playng with software, for my shorts, and this year, for weird as it sounds, someone pay me to do music for a series of microshows, (i also animate those microshows), , even do i think my music ain´t really that good, i have improve, and i actually think that i´m starting to develop my own music style... i have actually discovered, that making music, can improve my final view of what im shooting, and is actually really fun, i think is pretty much like editing, but with sounds only.

here is one shortfilm i animate and also did the music (is not one of those microshows btw), (the password is "000")... was made in 2009...
    a little context, it takes place in chile (southamerica), around the year 1600, also that tree is one of the symbols of the native ethinc tribe called "mapuche".

btw! i have also use one of Matti Paalanen´s tracks for one of my first animated shortfilms!, he truly is gifted, i´m nowhere near his skills (:
    here is the short with that awesome finnish music:
    (is old, that´s why the compression is so high)

• Here's a great example of what music can do - some YouTube kittens - standard stuff, but with music composed to fit. Wonderful.

• My friend recorded this track for on a simple 4 track he even "intentionally" left the tv on to add some ambient sound he liked....I think he did a great job for a 8 hr turn around ...I told him to do something playful and fun... I was just tossing clips together from the camera to show off the the 20mm pancake and it evolved into this....what do you think ?

• @Vitaliy Wish I'd written the music - I just found the thing. Great, though!!
  • @Mike_the_Harp @Vitaly: the music of the kitten video is not composed for the video.

While I was listening, I found it too much familiar to me, and it didn't sound anything like samples (don't think anyone is gonna pay a professional orchestra to score an amateur video).

Then, I found the answer in the end credits. It's the score of Aliens, by Jerry Goldsmith and Elliot Glodenthal

http://www.youtuve.com/watch?v=8-1F-CokXNU#t=1m48s

(I've intentionally written youtuVe so it doesn't embed the video in the post) It has a link to the correct time where you can see the credits (1:50 aprox)

Maybe there's some fragments of different parts of the scores (since Goldsmith scored Alien, and Goldenthal Alien 3) seamlessly blended.

So, this is an example of really well edited music!
  • @No_SuRReNDeR really nice video! The music feels warm and fits the tone of the image IMHO.
    A good example of when "Less is more"!.
  • @zarone "But, on the other side, I think music for picture doesn't always need to be a masterpiece by itself, but suport the image it accompanies. For example, listen to David Julyan soundtracks to Memento, The Prestige... they are not Rachmaninov like pieces, but they fit the overall athmosphere of the film quite well IMHO."

+1

I actually find those older "big orchestra" soundtracks quite annoying and cliche now. I'm a huge fan of melodic and rhythmic ambient scores.

Hans Zimmer has also done allot of great stuff lately with the Dark Knight and Inception. Epic... but not traditional overpowering brass and strings crap.
  • Hm. I thought we will discuss composing software here. Anyway for most of what I do, I try to write my own score. Logic Pro and Reason 5. Not difficult at all if you are not trying to sound like Bach. I have some experience though. But even if you don't have much experience you can still mix some drum loops and a simple tune. For example this trailer's track took about 30 minutes of my time
    I'd appreciate your feedback. Vitaly already knows the subject.
  • @lolo Wonderful animation - can't see the Vimeo stuff at the moment as I'm on my iPod (there's just a big blank space). And nice to see such a lively discussion about techniques.

I'm a big fan of putting together real sampled sounds of everyday objects to make interesting musical textures, along with conventional or synth sounds and like @lolo says, there's a point where music composition does become a bit like editing (I would argue it's exactly like editing - you're manipulating events in time, with music and with editing).

Whether it's sound effects, narration, images or music, it's all stuff that you are organizing to tell a story. Also it's nice to be talking about how things relate to each other as sequences of events - it feels liberating, like we're going somewhere with this amazing stuff. I appreciate all the testing that's going on on this forum, of course, but it's refreshing to get away from talking about static test shots and learn about what people are doing with their gear to tell stories.
  • @GOODEMPIRE This is a fantastic video - the music and the amazing subject and storytelling. Just....wow!!
  • @Mark_the_Harp (: thank you, and yeap, we have to manipulate events in time, and with the particular characteristics of those events, that are placed in a particular order we have to evocate an emotion!, yeap in general ways music it is exactly the same as editing

btw about the "JACK OF ALL TRADES, MASTER OF NONE. " thread, i think that just means lazyness (if you do want to explore multiple paths), or that you want to follow an already known path of creation, a path that others have made already, or that to your own subjective mind is not comfortable with more than one path of creation.
    either way is insulting...

btw, i think is absolutely legit if someone doesn´t want to explore a path with multiple visions to make a more complex own path. that just ain´t my path and i will not insult those that do.

hhaha i´m not that insulted, but adghfghasfghjhsjghf! was my reaction to that statement :p
    greetings!
  • This is my entry:
    Sony HX9V + Propellerheads Reason

• @ Mark_the_Harp thank you so much. If anyone is interested, I'm trying to kickstart the project here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1574320286/dont-cry-for-your-hair You can find my second trailer down below. For that I recorded my acoustic Yamaha (bought on a scrape yard for $70) with my shotgun mic and my Tascam 100. It doesn't really sound good (and my performance isn't good either), but I was in a rush. Actually I was trying to imitate the sound of acoustic guitar from my beloved movies — Amores Perros, Babel, 21 grams, Motorcycle Diaries (all Innaritu+ Santaollala). If you add just a little bit of reverberation or delay to a single guitar arpeggio, it may become your self-contained sound track.
  • @ oscillian WOW. Reason is the most appropriate and the fastest way to write soundscapes like that. Terrific software. Simple, very practical. I stick with Logic Pro, but Reason is rocknroll too. And this little Sony beast. Omg. Die, die the heavyweight eng camcorder, you deserve to go to hell.
  • +1 for Reason! It's an amazing piece of software!
  • @oscillian (: hahah love it!

may i ask wich instrument did you use for the strings, and the electronic high tone??

haha i also use reason, then go to cubase, and then to t-racks

or sometimes sibelius, then reason, then cubase, and then t-racks

or sometimes ableton with reason (when im composing for video), then cubase and then t-racks

what is your workflow?