Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G7 topic, 4K castrate monster or GH4 for poor
  • 719 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, this G7 needs a hack for sure. Clean HDMI out would be great and higher 1080p bitrates.

• This cam has one flaw, which is not the end of the world, but it suffers from shutter-shake around 100-160. It would be interesting to see if a firmware update addresses this. Since I use it primarily for video, it's not so important, but I do use it as a camera--and then I have to remind myself to use the electronic shutter (slightly more noise in the image).

• @DrDave

Try to add some mass below camera. :-) Any good weight small steel plate attached by 1/4" screw will do.

• I've tried it on a heavy tripod with no luck but that's a good idea for stability. It's just a minor annoyance, several m4/3 cams have the same problem, my first Olympus had it much worse.

• I've tried it on a heavy tripod with no luck but that's a good idea for stability.

Well, it is all physics, and sensor is attached to metal plate and this one very sturdy to the body.
    May be your tripod head had some very minor play. Or may be it was OIS issue.

• Most users are reporting that this camera has a manual shutter problem at certain ISOs. For example, if I take the same picture with electronic shutter at these ISOs, it is noticeably better. Also, the IQ is more or less the same as my GM1, but worse at only these ISOs. So something inside the cam is messing up, otherwise it would affect a wider range of shutter speeds. The GM1 has a much lower mass, but a better shutter, for whatever reason. Olympus was able to improve the problem in their cams with a firmware update, but it didn't completely fix the problem.

• For example, if I take the same picture with electronic shutter at these ISOs, it is noticeably better. Also, the IQ is more or less the same as my GM1, but worse at only these ISOs. So something inside the cam is messing up, otherwise it would affect a wider range of shutter speeds

You can search for shutter (actually mirror) issues explanation (scientific with tests) with Pentax cameras

http://blog.falklumo.com/2010/07/lumolabs-shutter-induced-blur-with-slr.html

http://www.falklumo.com/lumolabs/articles/k5shutter/

Falk is one of the most smart guys I met.

• Just bought my G7! Can someone recommend a good cage? Would it fit on a gh2 or G6 cage?

• @oscillian, I do not think that there will be a new hack after the 3 years old PTOOL 3.66D.

• my final upgrade :)

m43_vs_apsc5.jpg
    640 x 720 - 153K
  • If I get the body of P_G7, would my Leica Veiro 14-42mm from my Gf2 work on it? Just thought I ask here as I'm tempting to make a plunge for X-mas with deals going on now.

Thanks, I'm liking what I'm seeing on Panasonic so far.

• G7 test in Slashcam Germany:

http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Panasonic-G70---Halbe-GH4-zum-halben-Preis-.html#Einle

"In our 4K Focus chart you can see that the larger crop area of ​​the G7 is good to face even when debayering. So it provides even a small tick more details at the same time a little less artifacts than the GH4"

So G7 has less crop and better image in 4k than GH4. Is that true?

• That seems to be the case from my readings. It makes some sense after all even when the sensors do not change much there are advances in processing.

• GH4 should have optional full sensor 4k mode even with some aliasing and moire.

• Vitaly, is hard work to do a hack that could boost up the quality in 1080p mode, say up to 150-200mbit? And get 10 bit color with 4:2:2?

• I think everyone who used the G7 saw a bit less noise and either the same amount of detail or slightly more detail than the GH4. What is difficult to quantify, because of the really small difference, is the amount of aliasing.

People will continue to use the GH4 over the G7, regardless of the image quality.

The G7 is a very good value if you get it with the unrestricted recording here on PV (I have two), I think the FDR-ax100 still has a tiny bit more detail but of course no interchangeable lenses and more than twice the price. One measure of the quality of a camera is the fact that the price of the FDR ax100 really has not changed much, but, regardless, the G7 is a steal right now. It's the sleeper cam.

One should mention that the Samsung cellphones also produce very good video, although only at 30fps. Interesting to see if there will be a "cell phone parity" with video cams at some point.

Anyway, if you want to throw a few cams in a bag for location work, and not worry about what happens to them, the G7 is the way to go.

• @DrDave, i'm getting a G7 to go along with my trusty GH1 that I bought from you and a couple of G5's. I'm gonna use the G7 as my A cam and I can't wait to see how it handles. I was bashed a bit for being high on the G7 early on but from what I had seen it looked like the perfect low cost cam for me today. I held off buying a new cam until the G7 because I felt the small improvements over what I already had weren't worth it.

The price of the G7 is UNREAL for what it does. Too bad the local TV stations down here in Georgia are still not even full HD!!! These small cities are WAY behind the times. I'm blowing them away with the quality of what I have already. The G7 will be beyond anything they get anywhere else down here. This isn't Atlanta LOL.

• The G7 is great if shooting UHD and frankly I like the feel of it better than GH4. The GH4 has more bells and whistles but they account for conveniance more than anything else. The GH4 advantages are not that compelling for me so I bought the G7 and happy I did. I do look forward to being wowed by the GH5 or what ever they call it.

• My 2nd G7 comes tomorrow, curious if it has the latest firmware, we shall see. Also will try out the new kit lens. Kit lens is usually crap but supposedly this one is kinda OK.

@Aria--the old GH1, never should have sold that cam.

• @DrDave Mine arrived yesterday and had a sticker on top of the box that says "Firmware ver 2.0 installed." I'm hopefully going to get a chance to test it out today. I look forward to the unlimited recording :).

• Has anyone updated firmware on an unlimited recording model?

• @Scot that is the question, isn't it? I will definitely not be among the first to try it.