Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung NX500 4K NX camera
  • 273 Replies sorted by
  • THIS one was a surprise.

Anybody here uses the NX1 for concert recording with low light?

• This lens from kits is from $188 on ebay.

So, by idea we must see $550-599 bodies with time. And this is real GH2/G6 prices area. Most popular one for amateurs.

Sound input will require some small DIY with Samsung mike but otherwise all ok.

• For sound, an external mike with a small recorder (like a Zoom H1 or similar) attached at the bottom or rig could do the trick, I guess. I've used this setup with a GX7.

• availability on stores?

• @MarcioK

Check NX system topic. Samsung has small on camera mike (stereo) that has build in ADC and headphone output. If you record something like interviews all you need is carefully unsolder build in electret mikes and solder the wires going to lavaliers.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/smart-camera-camcorder/smart-nx/smart-nx-accessories/ED-EM10

I am not sure if you will be able to fully switch off auto gain in camera, needs checking.

• No viewfinder = not a camera... just a clever tablet with lens if you ask me!

• No viewfinder = not a camera... just a clever tablet with lens if you ask me!

LOL.

Get good cheap VF attachment with magnetic mount :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Interesting mike, really.

• Now will it have 120fps is the question for me. Otherwise quite interesting! Such an amazing time for beoing a filmaker

• You know, I remember buying the GH2 from the Panasonic site when it came out for $680 or something like that, and I remember thinking, this is the right features at the right price. It seems like Panasonic has given up that spot, and Samsung has just waded right in. I'm curious to see what the other camera manufacturers will do, but except for the super low light market--which is owned by the A7s--Samsung seems to have eaten everyone's lunch while they were basically asleep on a park bench.

• @DrDave: How true!

I am curious what the Sony's answer to NX500 will be. I think that they are contesting this position as well. Sony vs Samsung competition will make us, users, very happy. I would bet on Samsung as the winner at the end (... but I do not mind being wrong :) ).

• I'm glad Samsung pre-announced before the start of CP+. Sony has time to consider adjusting their roadmap to compete, if they so choose. Even so, NX500 will be hard to beat if it puts out an image like the NX1 and they give use Gamma DR and the Master Black Level... this is definitely a shot across the bow of Sony at this very competitive price point. Also, I would rather have the smaller lighter NX500 compared to the NX1, but that's just me...

• This seems like a great camera for a nice price. Lack of EVF is a big issue for me. But, I wonder how such a small camera would handle with a loop?

@MarcioK, you wrote about a small viewfinder for the GH3 here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5960/gh3-lcd-viewfinder-options#Item_31

Do you think the Kamerar QV-1M (or something similar) might make up for the lack of an EVF on the NX500? I need the extra point of contact to steady the camera, so I'm wondering if pairing a loupe might work with this tiny camera? Since you have this viewfinder, do you have an opinion of whether it would be feasible?

• @jjj_ri_usa

You'll need exact screen measure and find proper VF with thin magnet mount.

• Dpreview published Samsung's press release for the NX500 launch from Monaco, with the perhaps most complete spec to date. Nothing really new here. Unfortunately, some questions are still remaining open, like the inclusion of 120 frames/s and log profiles.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7658835946/samsung-introduces-nx500-with-nx1-28mp-bsi-sensor

• @jjj_ri_usa In fact, my intention is exactly use the NX500 with the QV-1M. SInce the QV-1M works perfectly with my GX7 and the E-M10 (it have four screws to adjust height and slide for the sides), I see no reason why it would not work with the NX500.

The QV-1 (without M) from Kamerar will not work, because it lacks the extra plate that lowers the viewvinder to be compatible with the shorter distance between the camera bottom anf the lower part of the LCD screen. The BPMCC one will not work too, is custom made for the camera and lacks the adjustment screws.

For extra point of contact, it is even better than a EFV, since the viewfinder coup is much larger.

The image resolution will be lower, since EVFs almost always have a much higher pixel count than the camera's LCD; but the image is MUCH larger; very usable to rack focus.

Only caveat, as I said in that topic: the diopter adjustment of the unit, at least in mine, is useless - it move the vf eyecup but I see no difference. I don't use glasses, and for me it is irrelevant, but if you use glasses you probably will have to keep them for shooting. Maybe could be no issue, since the eyecup is very large, but I recommend to test one unit before buying if you use glasses.

• @MarcioK. Thanks for the detailed info. It sounds like that might work as a viewfinder with the NX500. That's a very tempting camera, but...I'm just going to keep getting by with my GH3. I'd love to have the advantages of 4K, but, I'm going to hold out for the 1st camera that can supply 4K @ 60 fps. It seems like the 1st one to have that processing speed might be an NX series from Samsung? So, I'm paying a lot more attention to info on Samsung cameras lately.

Thanks again for the info, and, if you get an NX500, please let us know how well the QV-1M can fit to its OLED screen.

• "Hands On With Samsung's New NX500 Mirrorless Camera"

Australian review published yesterday: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/02/hands-on-with-samsungs-new-nx500-mirrorless-camera/

• Customer on Dpreview said Adorama gave him a shipping date of 3/3. If so, that would be a nice item to have for the summer.

• Anyone can confirm there is 30 minute clip limit?

• some news from today's NX500 launch in Korea "NX500's 4K is crop mode like GH4, so it is 1.6X in 4K compare to NX1, a 16mm will resulting 38.5mm in 35mm term"

• "NX500's 4K is crop mode like GH4, so it is 1.6X in 4K compare to NX1, a 16mm will resulting 38.5mm in 35mm term"

Sounds strange. As LSI and sensor are exactly same as NX1.

• Major bummer if big crop factor. But not the end of the world as we know it.