Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus and other companies interviews
  • 173 Replies sorted by
  • Interview with Sigma CEO Yamaki-san

• Panasonic interview

It's an interesting move announcing a refreshed model of the GH5 at the same time as announcing its successor, the GH6. Can you speak to the strategy of announcing the GH5 II and GH6 at the same time?

Mr. Yosuke Yamane: The LUMIX GH5 was released in 2017 and spread through YouTube, SNS [social networking services] and word-of-mouth, due to its excellent video performance, such as the world's first 4K60p video recording and 4:2:2 10bit video recording. It is used by a wide range of customers, including individual video streamers. Furthermore, due to the recent influence of the new coronavirus, the demand for video production and live streaming is rapidly expanding, and the need for cameras is becoming wider.

We aimed to have more creators use the successor model of the GH5 and came to the conclusion that different applications have respective optimal cameras, and so we proceeded with the development of two models, GH6 and GH5M2. The GH6 is a flagship model equipped with a newly developed image sensor and a newly developed image processor that enables cutting-edge video expression. The GH5M2 is a model that enables easier and higher quality live streaming in order to respond to the rapidly expanding [popularity in] video streaming, while improving the basic performance as a camera. With these two models, I am confident that compared to GH5 even more creators will be able to use LUMIX cameras.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2021/07/21/panasonic-qa-interview-with-yosuke-yamane-head-of-lumix

• Canon interview

Can you give examples of some of the technologies used in your RF lenses which are only possible because they've been designed for mirrorless?

The optical designs of the RF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM and RF 70-200mm F4 L IS USM fully leverage the advantages of the RF mount’s large diameter and short flange-back distance to achieve a significant reduction in length compare with their EF mount counterparts (EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS III USM and EF 70-200mm F4L IS II USM, respectively).

Additionally, the RF 600mm F11 IS STM and RF 800mm F11 IS STM lenses would only have been possible with mirrorless cameras. Thanks to Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which performs well in low-light environments, AF is still usable even at slower apertures (higher F-numbers). Capitalizing on this, we were able to create fixed F11 aperture super-telephoto lenses with size and weight reductions that would otherwise have been unimaginable.

What has the professional / market response been to your new 'blue refractive optics' technology? Will it be included in more lens designs in future?

The EF 35mm F1.4L II USM was the first lens to include a BR lens element, and one is also used by the RF 85mm F1.2 L USM and RF 85mm F1.2 L USM DS. The image quality, which heavily reduces axial chromatic aberration and completely eliminates color fringing, has received high praise from users in the professional market.

We have a strong record of developing optical technologies designed to correct chromatic aberration Beginning with artificially grown fluorite crystals and including UD lenses, DO lenses, and BR lenses, we have a strong record of developing optical technologies designed to correct chromatic aberration. In order to meet the needs of our customers, we plan to use such technology wherever we believe it is most suitable, so please look forward to further developments.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/0763373692/canon-interview-development-of-compact-devices-supporting-8k-is-a-very-high-priority

• First part of Panasonic interview, more general

The LUMIX series is a new place in my memory with the declaration that "we will develop products centered on painting." Perhaps it is not unusual on the development side, but I felt that it was a methodology that the recipient was not familiar with. What kind of goals do you have for the new paintings adopted after LUMIX G9 Pro (hereinafter referred to as G9 Pro), which is said to be the beginning? Also, could you tell us about the key to solidifying the concept?

Kado : In one word, LUMIX's painting philosophy is "life force and beauty." As you know, this was defined and transmitted at the time of G9 Pro. When I interviewed photographers about the commercialization of the G9 Pro, which is a high-end model of still images, I found that it was a good idea. I want you to apply it as a common idea to. "

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/special/1326243.html

• Interview with Panasonic on photo styles

Are there any expressions that have been made possible by technological innovation? For example, is it possible to express more advanced colors by the computing power of a video engine with high processing power?

Okamoto : From G9 Pro to S series, image processing is basically common as a system. Therefore, we do not introduce new expression technology as a function derived from such an engine.

If anything, new expressions are realized by the data progress by the sensor format and the processing optimized for it.

It's a rough expression, but does that mean that if you apply and optimize the G9 Pro's painting to full size, you'll get this kind of image quality?

Kado : The base of painting is the same. However, due to the large number of pixels in the sensor, for example, noise from the sensor is reduced due to the pixel pitch, etc. for noise reduction. In the S series, the noise is reduced, which means that there is more room for noise reduction processing. The surplus is applied to other parts to enhance the expressiveness.

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/special/1326244.html

• Interview with Sigma

Q: What do you think are Sigma’s unique selling points right now as a camera manufacturer?

Mr. Kazuto Yamaki: I hope that customers try the fp and fp L and discover how much fun they are to use. They’re really small, really easy to take anywhere, and easy and intuitive to use. A small camera makes a big difference when it comes to real photographic experience. I’ve personally learned that using the fp for two years, and it’s what our fp customers are experiencing.

Q: Can we expect faster autofocus technologies such as linear motors in future Sigma lenses?

Mr. Kazuto Yamaki: Yes. That’s probably one of the most challenging technical issues facing all manufacturers. In general, if the motor has higher torque, and more power, it’s slower. Motors with less torque can move faster. So it’s a trade off between power and speed. We already use linear motors in some lenses, but finding the ideal motor for the mirrorless camera lenses are still challenging.

Q: Do you think the era of the DSLR is over?

Mr. Kazuto Yamaki: I personally like DSLRs, but I haven’t used one for probably around two years. I hope they stay in the market for a while longer because a lot of customers love optical viewfinders. But I expect they will be largely replaced in the near future.

Q: Can you update our readers on Sigma support for Canon RF mount and Nikon Z mount support?

Mr. Kazuto Yamaki: I am aware that there’s a very strong demand from customers for Canon RF and Nikon Z. We believe, too, as a lens manufacturer, that it’s our mission to support as many mounts as possible. We would like to support those mounts, and we’re discussing and researching.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/1683261262/sigma-interview-all-employees-have-to-respect-each-other-educate-each-other-and-encourage-each-other

• Interview with Nikon

• The Nikon Z9 is going not bad and comes with improved processor
    • Pixel Shift Multi-Shot functionality in the Z9 is under consideration
    • New super-telephoto Z lens will be announced together with the Nikon Z9 (300mm or 400mm most likely)
    • New Micro Z lens is coming soon
    • Nikon is considering internal N-log
    • By the end of 2022, there will be 30 Nikkor Z mirrorless lenses
    • Nikon is currently concentrated on the mirrorless market, no mention of upcoming DSLR cameras
    • 8k demand is growing
    • Camera sales are recovering in China
    • Demand for middle and high-end products is stable and Nikon will focus on middle to high-end models
    • Nikon will continue to provide support and equipment during the Olympics games

https://info.xitek.com/attitudes/202105/18-354115.html

• Sigma interview

By this time last year, I was prepared to halve the sales compared to the previous year, but in reality, I was a little relieved without falling that much.

Even after the corona converges, online activities should be firmly established and expanded as one solid flow, and new activities will be carried out with a strong awareness of how to promote the appeal of products and how to enjoy photography through online. I’m starting.

Since the camera body is miniaturized by mirrorless, the lens must of course be the size that matches the body. Moreover, as the number of pixels increases, of course, quality is not compromised.

In advancing the mirrorless exclusive design, the first thing we worked on was improving the resolution. Know-how will be accumulated by continuing to pursue it, and after a certain stage, there will be room to make it compact at the same time. Furthermore, it is not enough to just make it compact, but it will be possible to pay attention to the finish of the photograph, such as how to suppress axial chromatic aberration and coma.

F1.8 to 2 class compact single focus lenses are generally made of plastic, and the cheap impression cannot be wiped out. I can’t find anything that meets the needs of a compact product with a good texture. The “I series” meets such needs. The operability and texture that cannot be achieved by mass production are points that cannot be imitated anywhere else.

In the I series, the original schedule was overturned in various places, and in order to create a solid structure to give a texture, parts that are not always necessary are added, which costs a lot of extra. .. I think that this kind of “selfishness” is one of the strengths of an unlisted company.

I dare to put out something that major manufacturers can never put out. Even if you take some risk, put it out with something different. That is what our company is essentially required to do. In the end, I believe that it will contribute to the revitalization of the industry in no small measure.

We will continue to develop unique lenses that cannot be imitated by other companies. I want you to look forward to Sigma in the future.

https://www.phileweb.com/interview/article/202105/27/830.html

• Larry Thorpe

How has the motion picture business changed Canon?

It’s changed quite a bit. If you look at the structure of the company here in the United States, we created a whole division, the Imaging Solutions Business, and of course, cinema and broadcast are a part of that. And of course, it’s changed in Japan, the product designs of cameras and optics. So it’s a pretty profound change.

We waited until we felt we had the requisite technologies in-house... to do the optics... the image sensor... and the processors ourselves.

We were one of the later entries into cinematography. We waited until we felt we had the requisite technologies in-house that we could do the optics, that we could do the image sensor ourselves, that we could do the processors ourselves. We also learned so much from the world of DSLRs on ergonomics. We’re very good at mechanical ergonomics on all forms of cameras. So, it was just a magic combination in 2011. We burst on the scene with our cinema and haven’t stopped since.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6547603416/interview-canons-larry-thorpe-reflects-on-60-years-in-the-business

• Interview with Nikon

Where does 8K video fit in your strategy?

We consider 8K to be an important feature, in that the high resolution and high definition required in still photography is also important for video. It is likely that demand for high resolution and high definition will continue to expand, and especially considering that many of Nikon’s users are hybrid creators, it’s of utmost importance that the needs of videographers are met by offering attractive video features that push the boundary of what is possible.

And though we simply say '8K', this feature encompasses several user needs, whether it be to shoot video that is as high definition as it gets; to cut out footage into 4K video; or to generate high-definition still image cutouts to avoid missed photo opportunities. 8K offers flexibility in a time where the line between still photography and video is becoming thinner and thinner.

There are various demands in the market, and our planning department and development department work hard every day to consider what kind of specifications to incorporate into the product.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/9636338352/interview-nikon-a-flagship-nikon-z-series-mirrorless-camera-can-be-expected-within-the-year

• Fujifilm interview

How has COVID-19 affected Fujifilm and the wider photo industry, both in the short and long term?

Of course, we are living through challenging times as COVID-19 continues to impact the daily lives of people around the world. Widely across the photo industry, restrictions have meant that professional photographers and hobbyists have had to halt their activities. Before the pandemic struck, there were more than 8,000 professional photography businesses operating in the UK alone.

It is our role to support these businesses as restrictions ease in the future by ensuring our wide range of systems remain affordable, and by ensuring we continue to deliver our high level of service as we have done throughout the pandemic, which we are incredibly proud of. Looking at the camera industry, we understand that, in general, the global demand for digital cameras has dropped by 40% since the start of April 2020, according to CIPA. Fujifilm, however, has been performing significantly better. This was thanks to great performance of new products such as X-T4 and X100V.

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/technique/interviews/why-fujifilm-has-been-doing-significantly-better-than-the-rest-of-the-market-142601

• Nikon interview

What is your biggest priority over the next year in terms of lenses?

[T.S] We just released the Z 50mm F1.2 S as the beginning of our lineup of fast lenses, while the addition of the Z 14-24mm F2.8 S completes the 'Holy Trinity' of F2.8 lenses (alongside the Z 24-70mm F2.8 S and Z 70-200mm F2.8 VR S). Our next priority is to provide lenses that appeal to wide audiences, such as lenses with a focus on thinness and entry point lenses like the standard zoom lens Z 24-50mm F4-6.3, as well as some unique lenses.

Our goal is to further expand the market by appealing to a wide variety of creators, with lenses such as the planned 40mm. This is, of course, without compromising our commitment to excellence. With the Z-mount system, we have the advantage of the largest mount, and the greatest potential. The large-diameter Z-mount really is our greatest advantage, and we want people to experience first-hand the ultimate imaging experience it allows.

What advantages does the new Z 50mm F1.2 have, optically?

[T.S] This kind of lens is what the Z-mount was made for: It’s super-fast and super-sharp. We are very proud of this lens, as it is the perfect balance of gorgeous, smooth bokeh and amazing sharpness.

It contains a symmetrical lens formula that minimizes the bending of light that occurs as it goes through. This creates the purest, cleanest image. The biggest impact of the largest-diameter mount upon this lens is that we were able to position the focus unit towards the rear, guaranteeing AF performance.

It’s the first lens of its kind to include twin STM motors driving the AF. The adoption of two STM motors has enabled superior AF speed.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/3679521489/nikon-interview-its-time-to-get-excited

• Make sure to read one of the last Olympus interviews

DE: So let's talk about AI AF, or Intelligent Subject Detection AF. I talked with the engineers at the E-M1X's introduction, and they said it might be possible to, you know, swap in different libraries for different types of subjects. They said that there isn't room in memory to add more subject types now, but that it might be possible in the future to swap out an existing subject type for another one. Are you, in fact, developing additional subject libraries for the E-M1X, or possibly other cameras?

MS: We can't share with you any details now, but we are in fact are currently studying what kinds of other subjects should be developed. We've received some good feedback and also some requests from the market, so we're considering how to evolve this.

DE: So you're evaluating different potential subjects. I imagine the algorithm people are working hard; it takes tens of thousands of images to "train" a system for object recognition like this.

MS: Yes, we're very interested in the evolution of this area.

DE: Yeah, that's such a unique capability, and especially things like ... when we were at the launch event in Daytona, it was raining so they didn't get to race, but even when they were just doing fast laps, it was so amazing to me the way the camera could find the driver in the car and put the AF point right on his helmet. Or put it on the front quarter-panel if the driver wasn't in view. It was very reliable.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2020/05/06/olympus-interview-em1ii-will-stay-starry-sky-af-and-more

If company folds around August as expected it can be no other chance to read their optimictic bullshit.

• Fujifilm

You’ve been dealing with the COVID-19 situation now for more than two months – what impact has it had on your operations?

There are three or four aspects to the situation. Firstly on the manufacturing side. Our China factory is our main factory for camera manufacture. [In February] the Chinese government extended the new year holiday, so we couldn’t restart manufacturing until the 10th of February, of course at limited scale. We’re catching up, and at the moment we’re almost back to full-scale operations at the factory. Of course, we’re working with the strict health management processes set down by the [Chinese] government.

So that’s the good news: we have the [manufacturing] volume for the X-T4, so we’re confident we can launch the camera officially at the end of April.

The next thing is logistics and sales. As you know, the situation in the US and in Europe is getting more serious every day, and this is affecting our warehouses and logistical operations. And also sales operations, because many stores are shut down. So we’ve seen a sudden drop in demand, which was inevitable. On the service side, we can continue to offer after-sales service in both the US and in Europe, for the moment.

Where will this crisis leave Fujifilm as a whole?

Fujifilm is very diversified. Our medical and healthcare business is the biggest part of our company. The drug Avigan [currently being investigated for use in treating COVID-19] was developed by Fujifilm's pharmaceutical division. This current moment is certainly difficult for the imaging part of our business, but I think we are in a good position to weather the present situation.

Of course it’s important when talking about business not to forget about people’s health and safety. We may not be able to predict when this crisis will be over, or when things will return to normal. But eventually we will get through this together, and hopefully demand for our products will come back strong.

For now, our R&D plan is unchanged. We’ll launch the X-T4 at the end of April and move on to the next project. We’ll keep on focusing on making better projects, and developing better technology.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/6372373001/fujifilm-interview-we-will-get-through-this-crisis-together

I have stupid question about all this "we are together". You also plan to distribute all record profits of healphcare part of the company to everyone? No? So that are you talking about? Together may be mean that people will die and Fujiflm will highly profit from it?

• Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki interview

• Sigma fp is the basis for the future of camera at Sigma
    • Sigma doesn’t want to impose his view on how to use the Sigma fp
    • In the future, Sigma thinks that all cameras will no longer use a mechanical shutter
    • The most important characteristics of the Sigma fp is compactness and high quality images
    • Sigma Foveon FF camera is late because of issues with the sensor design and manufacturing delay from vendors
    • Sigma wants to differentiate itself from other competitors with Foveon sensor.
    • They are building a new building at Aizu factory to improve the manufacturing process, not increasing the production capabilities
    • Yamaki-san thinks there needs to be more lenses for the L-mount system
    • In terms of market share, Sigma is not satisfied by the L-Mount Alliance. But according to Kazuto Yamaki it is still too early to draw conclusions. There needs to be 3 to 4 years after the launch to assess the results L-rumors
    • Kazuto Yamaki is satisfied by the diversity of lenses and cameras offered by the members of the L-Mount Alliance.

https://phototrend.fr/2020/03/interview-kazuto-yamaki-sigma-japon-fev-2020/

• Fujifilm

Where do you see most sales of the X100 line, globally?

(S.U.) With the first generation, Japan was the biggest market. Later on, the USA became the biggest. Because it’s not an interchangeable lens model, it can reach a wider market of photo enthusiasts. There’s a big market in the US for photo enthusiasts, especially people who know about the history of film cameras. Those customers really like the X100 line.

How will the X100-series evolve in future?

(S.U.) In terms of technology, maybe we can add image stabilization, if we can develop it. But in the longer term, I don’t think we’ll change the style. We’ll probably keep this style and design even for another ten years. But we may have totally different technology, which I don’t know about at the moment. Different style sensor, or Ai technology. We’ll keep adding new technology into the X100 line but we’ll keep the basic design concept.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/6840583173/interview-fujifilm-x100v-we-decided-we-could-change-more-in-the-fifth-generation

• Panasonic interview

How have the S1 and S1R performed in the market?

It fluctuates month by month, but in the $3,000 / €3,000 price range, we have gained roughly a 10% market share, globally. That was the result we were hoping for.

With the S1 and especially the S1R we were targeting high-end customers in the full-frame market. Over the past eight months we’ve been able to penetrate that market and we are satisfied with the sales, so far.

We’ve had great reviews from magazines and websites, and we just won the Gold Award at the prestigious Camera Grand Prix, in Japan. Only one camera can be selected as best camera in a year, and we got the number one award. We’ve been in the industry for twenty years and this is the first time we won the Grand Prix award, so we’re very satisfied.

What kind of differences are you seeing between the kinds of people buying the S1 versus the S1R?

With the S1R, we were targeting high end stills photographers, whereas with the S1 we were targeting both video and stills customers. So-called ‘hybrid’ photographers. And the customers who are purchasing the S1R are mostly stills photographers, whereas S1 customers are shooting both video and stills.

These days a lot of professional photographers are stepping into the videography area, and we want to support those photographers with the S1.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/4997384936/panasonic-interview-if-we-stay-united-i-think-we-will-survive

• Nikon interview

You’ve had 18 months or so to gather feedback from Z 6 and Z 7 users - what lenses do they really want to see?

Basically, they’re just saying “more lenses!” But we’re getting most requests for a pancake. The mirrorless camera bodies are smaller than DSLR, but the lenses are still the same size. A lot of our Z 6 and Z 7 customers want to make their system size much smaller, so this is a priority for us.

What feedback or requests have you had on the cameras themselves?

The number of card slots was one of the [most common] pieces of feedback. Also, we have received requests for a vertical control grip. Customers are used to the D850 or D750, with two slots. With the Z 6 and Z 7 we wanted to minimize the [body] size.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/6739481235/ces-2020-interview-nikon-we-are-at-a-transitional-stage

• Sigma

• Sigma is considering making anamorphic lenses
    • We can be certain there will be a new 70-200mm f/2.8 FE lens
    • No lenses for X-mount because Fuji doens’t share the mount protocols
    • Sigma has still not decided if they are going to make lenses for Nikon Z and Canon EOS-R
  • Interview with Yoshiyuki Takashima who is Former Canon Director, Former General Manager of Camera Business Division, Former Software Manager-General Manager of Development Division

About old stuff.

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/165/1221882.html