Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Are all POWER OIS lenses unsuitable for handheld shooting?
  • 143 Replies sorted by
  • With the GH2, i've used the 14-140 (which i own) and the 35-100 (which i rented) - as much as I try to avoid going handheld, neither had "micro jitters" when doing so.

• I see some micro jitters but that isn't good shooting technique for handheld, if you're determined to get a perfectly still shot, put the camera on a tripod and turn off the stabilizer. Handheld works best with more camera movement. Add weight to the rig will smooth it out too. And stay wide.

• @brianl

Is that the tip for POWER OIS users. Dont use OIS, use a tripod or heavy rig. If you shoot handheld never stop the camera, just pan around all the time. ( In fact I am forced to do so and it helps a bit but video is restless if I move camera all the time)

I cant carry a tripod or rig when I am hiking or taking photos and videos in events. Besides I can get very pleasing and steady shots with my MEGA OIS lenses. The new 14-140mm II is still optically so good that I just want to use it too.

Post stab helps and it would be nice if Mercalli comes as free extra with POWER OIS lenses.

• @Vesku It is the first version of 14-140 HD lens. Jump is small and rapid and aleatory. It happens on Black magic when I use a strong focal (140) but I'm on a stable monopod and I start doing very soft movement. Didn't notice such a behavior on my Gh2 or Gh3 bodys, neither with the 12-35, but I can't be more precise because I started shooting a lot on m43 not long ago.

• @Vesku i am not saying pan. I am saying handheld is done for a certain raw aesthetic, or for portability and fast and dirty shooting. But zooming in tight and going for a locked down look is playing directly to the weakness of the lens and rig. You wouldnt put a camera on a tripod and try and create a handheld look. Yes i know, that's sometimes done in high end jobs but generally it isnt. Why make this hard? Add a pound or two to your rig, calm you nerves, zoom out, you wont have micro jitters. Or us a monopod. The gear is better than its ever been, but we still need to utilize our skills and experience to get a good shot. Camer can't do it all. The title of this topic seems crazy to me.

• @brianl

Thanks for your opinions and tips. I am not making films. I just take photos and videos to my and my friends needs. I can get perfectly acceptable videos handheld with MEGA OIS lenses. Why cant I get good results with POWER OIS even if I try very hard. I have steady hands and I shoot wide handheld. In fact I can get steadier shots handheld at 300mm MEGA OIS than 14mm POWER OIS. That is absurd.

• I can get steadier shots handheld at 300mm MEGA OIS than 14mm POWER OIS. That is absurd.

This sums it up perfectly.

• Can we make list of affected lenses?

Make clear and short description of issues?

Make short and test, may be even find exact reason of issue.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

And what might then happen? Are you going to do something with this issue. Maybe inform your Panasonic contacts?

Thanks for caring our problem.

• And what might then happen? Are you going to do something with this issue. Maybe inform your Panasonic contacts?

Panasonic already reading your topic :-) You can be calm about it.

I just want to do formal things required in any testing.

• Has anybody any kind of information, how serious Panasonic is about the topic ? The 12-35mm received a fix a long time ago, but they did not even acknowledge the issue with the 35-100mm. From my experience, all PowerOIS driven lenses have this issue. All my MegaOIS lenses are doing just fine. It's a shame that their very pricy lenses perform better in their best selling point video.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I just want to do formal things required in any testing.

I dont exactly understand what that means? Do you need some test results?

• Here is a new test I made:

MEGA OIS 14-42mm. POWER OIS 14-140mm. Both handheld at 14mm.

Little vibration in POWER OIS but still big enough to ruin the shot:

• I own a GX7 with the 14 - 140 II and have the same issue on handheld videos. MEGA OIS from my old 14-140 ( from GH2 Kit) is a lot smoother. For stills i use electronic shutter of the GX7 - because of the shutter shock . The new 14-140 II is sharper in stills and video but have the micro jittering in (handheld) video mode. Hope Panasonic can fix it with a fimware update and it is not an mechanical issue of the lens.

• This issue cant be sample variation. One more to complain:

http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2014/03/19/preparing-panasonic-gh4-lenses/

"Mike March 20th, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Hi, as for the 12-35 2.8 Panasonic lens I have tried it extensively and being the only alternative in that range, large aperture I guess it’s ok but I’m very disappointed with the stabilization. It does help a lot compared to a non stabilized lens but it does not “float” the picture like for instance a Canon stabilized lens. I get these bad micro vibrations in the picture when shooting handheld and have to use post production stabilization for all handheld clips."

Sorry for bumping but I collect these complaints for Panasonic and for users to notice this issue. I think that many users just accepts that jitter or dont understand it.

• @Vesku Is that the original version?

To everyone: It would be helpful if we put lens title and model number (because there are now MKII and it will be sure we know which lens we're talking about) and whether you experience the issue. And, if you know, whether it is mega OIS or Power OIS.

Lens: Lumix 14-140 F4.0-5.8

Model: VS014140

OIS designation: Mega OIS

Micro Jitter Problem: None

• And please note firmware version too. I've seen people complaining about the 12-35mm until they updated their firmware…

• I have told in every post that the jitter issue is in 14-140mm II (II=mk2=new version).

I saw with my own eyes the same jitter in updated 12-35mm f2.8 lens (H-HS12035 Ver.1.2)

• There is a small clip of the jittering issue from the 14-140 II on a GX7

• I got a micro HDMI-cable and I tested in real time in big screen my GH4 and 14-140 II / 14-42 lenses. 14-140 II POWER OIS floats stabilation very nice. When I pan slowly and stop motion the image moves little further and stops nicely. The video image floats and lags a bit behind hand movement. When I stop movement and try to keep it steady the OIS starts to jitter image like it is too willing to go to some direction. With 14-42mm image is very steady but the movement are not floating as nicely. So POWER OIS has better floating feel but you should never stop camera motion.

• From http://www.mu-43.com/

@minibokeh

I'm having HUGE problems with jitter with my 35-100 f/2.8 on my GH4 (click to play):

http://picturez.smugmug.com/Videos/n-9Hcwt/i-L7VPbwH/A

Unless we know that Panasonic is going to be able to help/fix the issue, I'm reluctant to send in the lens and have them sit on it and then send it back with "we couldn't find anything wrong".

I'm 100% happy using it for stills, and without OIS video also works without issues.

• I can confirm the issue on the 35-100mm after testing a friend's lens side-by-side with my 12-35mm. It is much worse and it can't really be fixed with AE's warp stabilizer, since the micro-jitters blur one or two frames and that shows even more after stabilization. The 12-35mm has minor jitters too, but considerably less.

I'll soon test an old 14-140 to compare.

• More examples. In fact every sample in Vimeo or Youtube which contains handheld stationary shootings with 14-140 II has micro jitter.

Look this at 0:49. Wide clip with micro jitter.

• I did a quick test of my 42.5mm lens and could not see any micro jitter - at least it wasn't as obvious as the micro jitter I documented on my 35-100mm F2.8 lens. I'll try to do a more formal test this weekend to compare to my previous test. I wonder if the combination of Power OIS and Zoom lens could be a factor?