Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • @Leto the kit lens of NX 1 is a pro lens and actually cheep for it's performance. Keep in mind it's an 16-50mm f/2-2,8 lens. There are several reviews on the net saying the lens is very good. Actually most of Samsung lenses are very good, they only need good cameras, I hope NX 1 will be a milestone! http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samsung-s-16-50mm-f-2-2-8-ed-ois-lens-review-25474

• DrDave your response confused me. We were comparing lens options to A7s and there are more adapted lens options here due to smaller seit's r. GH4 obviously has even more due to smaller sensor... but the sensor is smaller so...

Anyway, I didn't realize at first that the kit lens is over $1200! How many DSLR kits cost almost twice as much as body-only? I hope it's a nice lens.

• It's not really a question of manual glass, its a question of a complete range of pro-quality lenses that are sharp edge to edge. Olympus and Panasonic have solved that problem (took them a few years), but for the most part the best options for Samsung are lenses with good centre sharpness--part of that is, of course, owing to the slightly larger sensor--but part of it is that Panasonic (+Leica) and Olympus have set a high standard, not to mention 3rd party lenses.

Anyway, I haven't tried the cam, and the proof is in the pudding.

• Seems more lens options than 7s since it's NOT full frame but also has a short focal plane like Sony. As Vitally said, any manual glass...

I really hope that final component for video... the color science, sharpenning choices, etc is good.

• Thanks for the video Nick!

• NX Launch event shot by Nick

• It will be interesting to see if the 4K is as good as the phone, for sure. Can't wait to see some real vid samples. It would be nice to have a cam that matched my phone.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev agree! Those two bright zooms are very good and useful, as for the primes, with focus peeking in video mode any prime lens (from Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc) with an adapter works very good.

• I don't see their lens lineup as particularly interesting, but that may change as Samsung is very competitive.

They have now two bright zooms. Set of primes, macro lens. otherwise get set of Samyang glass and/or old manual and you are done.

• I don't see their lens lineup as particularly interesting, but that may change as Samsung is very competitive.

• @DrDave The NX mount has interesting lenses, especially the new 16-50mm f/2-2,8. A7s is the only Sony DSLM that shoots properly video but has no 4K internally. NX1 if not shrewd by Samsung may be a terrific camera and a hard strike against the other products on the market.

• I think the Sony will be tough to beat. I'd be happy to see some real competition but that cam is pretty amazing. The thing is, I would seriously consider a bunch of the Samsungs, but I have serious reservations about the lenses. I just don't see the complete lens lineup in place.

• @racer5 it may be possible in video mode to equal A7s, both in FHD and 4K, because they say it uses resizing method, so 28 MP resized to 4K or FHD will bring enhanced detail with no moire or aliasing and cleaner files. This stays true if they don't screw up the jpeg engine :). NX 30 files look decent, so I hope NX1 will be even better.

• Can some of you engineers give an assessment/opinion on the NX's use of the full sensor in video mode as a cause of aliasing and moire in this camera? I've seen a lot of moire and aliasing in the test footage. I understand there's no OLP and the aforementioned method of using the entire sensor as potential problems.

• @bubba @Eno The backlit sensor gives hope for it's low light performance, but otherwise it has smaller photosites than even the GH4. I doubt it will outperform the A7S.

• Photo from Photokina

stab34.jpg
    716 x 695 - 55K
  • @bubba yes it is possible for NX 1 to be around two ISO stops cleaner than GH4 (one stop because of the sensor size, and another from resizing 28 to 8+ MP). If that's the case, it can rival Sony A7s maybe until ISO 25.000, which is more then enough for video work.

If Samsung does it right with NX1, we have a long awaited super 35mm 4K tool.

• Hi: Saw it in a head to head comparison in one of the camera "face off" websites.

I tried to find the article and post a link, but could not find it.

You just know Samsung will do anything it can to best Sony!

• Hey @Bubba, what makes you think it'll outperform A7S in low light? Just curious since I would DEFINITELY consider this if it could be close to my A7s in low light :)

• I just got delivery confirmation from my NX1 order with Best Buy. It is expected here on October 15th. I also ordered from an big unnamed camera store on the first day and have yet to hear from them. I believe they too, feel this camera will be huge ...and are playing coy. The consensus is Samsung will allow the NX1 to surpass the low light capability of Sony's A7s and the 4K video and wireless connectivity of everybody else ...just because they can. Looking forward to the final shipping version of this product!

• @driftwood there's no problem, wrong info always get's in the way until all speck are final and announced. Heck, I also wish for a 60 fps and full sensor readout :). Anyway, even 30 fps at ~ 7K full readout is something extraordinary. I can't wait for a final firmware and conclusive samples.

• @Eno Someone was telling me about it probably could do 60/90 readout if pushed. Probably came from misinterpretation on the Samsung Forum. If it can do 30fps at 7K then maybe theres some truth. Bandwidth and processing power is the limiting factor. We wait and see.