Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • @nomad You have right. But speaking about BMCC we're speaking about a thing that does not exist yet in great volumes. I was referring to the street guy, the m43 photographer, (not the video guy) that see the two lenses with a €124 difference. Which one do you think he will buy? That's for mass market, video does not make mass market.

• Got mine two weeks ago and I am quite happy with it.Focus ring is a bit stiff at one point (right before 1m) but I can live with that. Wide open my lens is definitely usuable.

• You need to keep in mind that the SLRMagic will work on BMCC too. The Oly is electronic, even if it has a decent manual focus, you won't be able to control the aperture. I wonder if it will stay fully open on BMCC, so you could use it hyperfocal.

• Slr magic 12mm 1.6 best price in europe (Only Germany, this lens is not available in Italy). €476

http://www.amazon.de/SLR-Magic-Hyper-Prime-Weitwinkelobjektiv/dp/B006ZKJN7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352965893&sr=8-1

Olympus Zuiko 12mm 2.0, bes price in Italy: €600

http://www.quarty.it/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&product_id=12621&category_id=265&Itemid=85#.UKSf3IfWigQ

I think in europe the price gap between these two lenses is small, and italian people will go on a well known built quality and an historical brand like Oly, instead of a new "promising" lens.

@slrmagic

I think, Sir, if you are interested in european-italian market, maybe you need to legitimate a distributor in italy for your lens (and for get people know your business here). I personally don't know anybody that has your 12mm lens in italy, and probably i don't want to be the first one at that price, unless there is some deal from your company. Please take this as pure information, no intention to polemize from me. Cheers

• No wiggle wobble here. I think it's fairly decent for a 12mm 1.6 wide open, considering the speed and how wide it is. THe nearest competitor is the olympus, and by the time you get to 2.4~2.8 split on both they become similar, no?

I'm very happy with the copy I've got. Picked off shots here and there but waiting for something decent to shoot and MFT Blackmagic.

• @vicharris cool it was you it shot that santa monica pier video thats on youtube... that was one of the first examples i seen from that lense and help make me decide on getting it. i understand i probably would of done the same, it only cost me £5 to send it back to london. the character is what i was after as well if its any consolation i think the newer ones the flares etc been toned down a bit and for that i would of preferred the earlier model i think. cool i know slr magic is on this, but i'm happy with there product.

• @sid Nice! I actually bought mine from SLR directly and at the time didn't want to pay $50 damn dollars+ to return it with the possibility that they would say that nothing was wrong with it. Which at the time was a well reported occurrence. Then I would have to pay a restocking fee or even more money(company policy) so I opted to bite the bullet and keep it and tell myself it was a $550 lesson on how and where to buy gear :) But mine is soft on one side, the focus plane is off and it has play in two sections. I believe mine was from the first batch but I'm glad to see the second batches are better. I do love the flares and characteristics of it! The video I shot at the Santa Monica Pier is gorgeous and I don't think I ever went above 800 ISO on the camera.

And just to point out, I'm not trying to start another flame war with Andrew here. So please let's not do it again :)

• @vicharris

do you mean did i get it from a shop?

the ebay seller was cool and got me a replacement

how long ago did you get yours, and could you return it?

• @sid Did you get one from a brick and mortar?

• all sorted i got a replacement from the current crop and the quality is much better

happy to finally use this lense now!

• @tinyrobot that's the word on the street :)

• The Nokton at 1.4 is very usable in my experience - even for stills.

• Me? Um, I'm not starting anything. I'm stating facts. The lens is better stopped down. Mine is not built well. I thought they fixed the issue. Those are not opinions. Then I wondered how many of us actually have wiggly lenses. Is there something wrong with those statements? I hope he can get a good one! It's a fun lens when you do get one without issues. Same thing with Rokinons.

• Guys, do not start things out of nothing. As no one really know origin of this lens. It seems like from first batches.

• It's not sharp till you stop it down. I don't have any experience with the Nokton and not sure how they look at 1.6 or wide open. I thought they fixed the issues to, or at least we were told they did. I wonder how many peoples lenses have this little bit of wobble?

• @vicharris the performance of the lense does seem to be good visually, just when you put this on the camera after a nokton it feels broken.

• @vicharris i'am in the UK it came from a UK seller who has hong kong supplies, they have now agreed for me to return it to them to have a look for themselves.

I thought this problem had been corrected and it was only the earlier releases that had this problem

there is still lenses being sold sub standard quality

• @sid Yeah, a few of us experienced the same thing. That's why I wished I bought mine from a business in the US but like I said, I haven't noticed any problems and it doesn't seem to be worse. Did you get yours from a seller in the US?

• i got mine new off ebay but the seller has not got back to me after trying to explain the issue.

i might be stuck with it

• Yep, mine was the same and I didn't feel like sending the darn thing back to Korea and paying postage. It didn't seem to leak light and it's still the same so I just chucked it up to craftsmanship.

• i just got mine....it has some play movement in its parts... is this normal?

the mount is good and secure to the camera but the main part of lens wobbles abit from its mount

is this the issue people have already commented on or just the way they all are?

• IMHO it's not really needed, the difference is not that massive. Plus, if it's a success the next thing they may put in is a bigger sensor…

• @allenswrench

I don't expect you wil design a new wide just for this one product with it's new sensor.

That would not be possible. We contacted them and they will not share any specifications or development plans about their camera. It is always hard to work with manufactures that are not willing to cooperate. For example, if we make a lens for their camera and when we release it in 1-2 years time there is always a chance the new model will have a different image sensor. For example, NEX had APS-C sensor needing compact APS-C lenses all along and then here comes the new FF model and the new camera needs new lenses.

• Just for anyone who's interested, here's a quick video I made of me and my girl camping. I went a little overboard with the color grading, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm a big fan of this lens. The faults mentioned are true, but I always like the look that comes out of it. It has personality. Also, somebody mentioned that shallow depth of field isn't important for a wide angle lens, to me that couldn't be less true. I love the look of a wide angle lens with shallow depth of field.
    Anyway, I use this with a voigtlander 25mm. I think the two really compliment each other well with their little quirks. Does anybody have any recommendations for an even wider lens?