Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • @stonebat, yeah, I can see that now. I put a UV filter in there just to show what a ND plus step up ring plus lens hood looks like. Nice Helio Vari btw. One day I'll grab one.

• @apix Just a heads up, that LCW 77mm Fader is crap past 50mm. I used it on my Rokinon 85mm Cine and an old Nikon 105mm AIS and it turned the footage to shit. I've been trying to sell it on craigslist for a month and can't get rid of it. Think I might use it as a mini Frisbee!! Go for the Genus HD or whatever it's called. There's a good review on it here in the Vari ND thread. Make sure you don't get the base one though.

• Wow guys, this looks cool! Argh! Now I'm confused between this and Tokina F/2.8 for Gh3. Recommendations/perspective with video taken into account? Chromatic abberations an issue or factor between two lenses? I like that Tokina goes to 16mm, but I would really like a wide for night. I'm going to be shooting an art film in LA that relies on a lot of building photography. Thanks!

• Thanks Stonebat, heliopan is a bit out of my price range, maybe I'll get the Light Craft Workshop 77mm Fader ND Mark II Filter =) Thanks for the quick response vicharris and stonbat

• @vicharris Never mind. The perspective distortion made the upring bigger. I got a super cheap one too.

@apix I've used LCW and Heliopan vari ND filters. Both were fine without stacking filters.

image.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
  • Also the SLR has some pretty cool colors and flares to it and I'm not sure if a Vari ND would screw that up with the two polarizers and all. I'll mess with it tomorrow and let you know.

• Thanks @Vicharris for checking up on it :)

• I don't know about a Vari ND, those things are pretty thick. I think you might be playing with fire there. I'll check when I have a chance. I have a LCW and Genuis

• Thanks for the posting the pic vicharris and the link to the step up ring, I am thinking going with Tiffen 77mm Variable Neutral Density, Would love to hear if any one is using this filter on this lens.

• @stonebat What do you mean? There's one on there that was $5 instead of $80

• @vicharris Why not just a 77mm thin upring?

• Here ya go

20130206_142204.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 236K
    20130206_142241.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 249K
  • No reason at all to buy that step up ring. Non at all. Buy the one I posted up above. It actually puts the filter or hood further back than this thing they made. I just do not understand it's purpose and price. My lens has the slightest bit of vignetting on it with nothing added and once I add the step up ring, filter and hood, there's just a slight bit more which I actually like and it's easy to punch in just barely to get rid of it. Check out my promo video that's up on here. 75% of it is shot with this lens, a 77mm .9 Tiffen ND and wide angle hood. I'll post a pic.

• Adorama didn't pack my lens tight in the box, so it was moving around in there, which might explain why the rear glass element came off when I opened it and held it in my hand.

Glad SLR Magic got way better packaging now!

And I noticed their 58-77mm step-up ring has a gradual incline up design on the front side instead of the simple step up design third party rings all have. I admit, it does look good, and probably why it is $80!!

SLR Magic 12mm w_ ring.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 238K
  • Thanks @stonebat, any brand or product recommendation?

• @apix Go for 77mm at least.

• No good, so there are still issues with this lens with the build quality? So basically not much difference if you buy it straight from Noktor or Adorama?

• hi all, I was wondering what ND filter would you recommend to use with this lens? Thanks in advance.

• Prolly other resellers aren't any better. It was a different seller. I had to return Samyang 7.5mm lens a few times. They kept sending me a same copy. LoL. Eventually I got Rokinon copy with much less play.

• Interesting. That would suck if they are recycling lenses. Maybe they just had a bad batch for a bit.

• One caveat about Adorama. It seems they r not returning bad copies to SLR Magic either.

I got my 12mm 1.6, and it seemed ok, but I returned it. Later I bought it again but too much play. I returned 3 more times before getting the one I like. But I suspect the final one is the first one I had gotten.

If you like your copy, don't sell it :)

• @Hilltop1 I bought my lens from them but wish I bought it from Adorama. If the lens has a problem, it will cost you too much to send it back the SLR. I'll never buy a lens direct from a manufacture again. As for a gear, i just rigged up one i bought from ebay. No way I'm paying those prices they charge for the add ons. Buy the lens from adorama, that step up ring i sent you. This lens isn't the best for racking focus anyways IMO. It's just not designed right.

• Thanks @vicharris, did you buy yours straight from them? How about the lens gear for follow focus like the one posted up by @feha above. Do you have that?

• For some reason the one I bought is no longer available. Interesting. Anyways, here's another one that looks like it's the same profile. http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Step-58-77mm-Filter-Adapter/dp/B0002ER2OG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360174504&sr=1-2&keywords=Stepup+Ring+58mm-77mm

• @Hilltop1 Are you in the US? And you don't need to buy their ring. I'll give you a link to one that works just as well