Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
XAVC-S ( free ) conversion ?
  • Interestingly, in preparation for getting an xavc-s camera like the rx100mklll sometime in the future, I've done some tests looking for a ( free ) conversion software for xavc-s to mov. It looks like gopro cineform does the job, although it's only a windows application. I tried some native mac apps like compressor, mpegstreamclip, and toast. None worked. I highly await sample clips in xavc-s from the mklll. The sample I did my test was from the sony as100v. Anyone have any other free solutions ?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • ffmpeg should be able to remux from XAVC-S .mp4 to .mov with no transcoding necessary.

• I think I have gopro cineform on my mac :)

• xavc-s is just Sony's marketing for high bitrate h264 in an mp4 container. You can simply use ffmpeg -i xy.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec copy xy.mov to rewrap it into Quicktime. Alternatively, for the Mac, install MediaConverter (which is just a graphical user interface for ffmpeg and provides a shrinkwrap app for rewrapping).

• @konjow...yeah you're correct...cineform does have an intel mac version ...but I'm still fighting the battle with a ppc and an xp and I forgot that.

@cantin...MediaConverter didn't work for my 10.4.11 ppc.

I downloaded an older version of ffmpeg and I'll see if it works...thanks. I'd love to do everything on my powermac.

yes..I know ...I should spend 3 grand on a NEW powermac !