Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • Rolling shutter in the above video doesn't look any different than any other dslr or mirrorless.

• Are we ever gonna see a "normal" test ? the camera is less than a month away and all we are seeing is this extreme this and extreme that.

• With little to no "real" advertising on this camera I'd speculate Sony already lost a lot of potential sales. I don't care how good this camera comes out to be to me it's a bit arrogant of them.

• You guys are being too sensitive - it hasn't even been released yet. Hold on for fuck's sake. If it's not one thing it's another...

• That looks really good. Not the brightest day outside but it deals with the high contrast gracefully IMHO. Not bad

• the video above shows that in iso 51200 the image starts to tremble near the lamps. So probably after denoise the edges of objects will keep trembling. so maybe my supposition was correct, the maximum safe iso will be around 25600 / 32000.

Also the difference from slog2 to other was a small lift in shadows so maybe dro5 will be better to get almost same dr without flatten the image.

• http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_a7s_first_impressions.shtml

Based on these tests as well as my day-to-day shooting I do not see any obvious difference in dynamic range between the two camera. Many people had speculated that the larger pixels of the A7s would produce wider dynamic range capability. Not that I can detect. It will take someone with a full testing lab to determine if there is any gain in DR or not, but I don't see it..

On the basis of these tests I would judge the A7s to have almost a three stop advantage over the A7r between ISO 6,400 (which is as high as I would use on the A7r) and ISO 51,200 where the A7s reaches its useful limit (for my type of shooting).

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_a7s_first_impressions.shtml

v80.jpg
    800 x 484 - 97K
    v81.jpg
    800 x 374 - 77K
    v82.jpg
    800 x 374 - 79K
  • Luminous landscape downsided the A7r image to get to the same resolution as the A7s and this increased the color depth in the same way as downsizing a GH4 4k image to HD does. In fact it is almost the identical downsize. This means that the native A7s image had more DR than the native A7r image that DxOmark rates at 14 stops.

• This means that the native A7s image had more DR than the native A7r image that DxOmark rates at 14 stops.

They even explained why they did it. DXOMark also do the same. Otherwise you can check FAQ.

• The key will be how the video image looks in HD. Not really tested.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Does the Sony A7s have a recording time limit of 30 mins for video? If it does would that also be present for external recording via an Atomos Shogun? Anyone know? Could not find any mention of it in the specs.

• The a7S has an internal recording limit of 30 minutes, if I remember correctly from reading somewhere. (Might be just for Europe) I can't imagine why there'd be any limit for external recording.

• Thanks. Hope you are right about the limit being only for Europe. Maybe thinking of getting one in Australia.

• A Sony show rep said all cams have 30 minute limit, but show reps are frequently misinformed.

• It seems that Dxomark is reviewing the camera: https://www.facebook.com/DxOMark

dxomark.png
    979 x 731 - 216K
  • All Sony cameras has the 30min limit, even been NTSC, the only one that has not limit on recording time are the Lumix cameras. I guess that a external recorder could avoid this limit but just if the a7s doesn't require to press record on camera to send the signal with full quality.

• Great low-light capabilities, but the dynamic range is lower than expected

a7s.png
    773 x 367 - 87K

v91.jpg
    732 x 445 - 77K
    v92.jpg
    698 x 398 - 47K
    v93.jpg
    697 x 404 - 45K
    v94.jpg
    710 x 391 - 46K
  • Lower DR than a7r at 100 ISO but the same at 200, and two stops greater at 12,800.