Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • nic2011
    ""Forget any other settings apart from 1080p24H, the rest are all work in progress, but you have to see this in action""
  • @nic2011 Still on it... very.... fine tuning ... :-)
  • @driftwood

Thanks for the info. I can hardly wait...
  • @ Stip and @Ian_T -- impressions now posted in new topic in "general and news". Hopefully answered your questions, but if not, reply there and I'll get back to you.

@driftwood. Downloading your patch now. Can't wait to try it. Thanks!!!
  • Thank you driftwood,
    I plan on checking out your new settings.
    Great work! I wondered why we had not heard from you. ;)

Question:
    Does your latest 244M 1-GOP need the frames to be re-ordered (p-frame issue)?
  • Hi @proaudio4 no, there's no more p frames. just i frames! Pure Intra
  • You are the man!
    Thanks

Question:
    Have you confirmed daimon's response regarding file spanning?
  • @proaudio4 mate, I havent had time, but it looks promising, can you confirm it for me?
  • New to all this, previous RED and Canon shooter, GH2 come wed. and I plan on using @driftwood 's patches immediately... is monitor viewing supported with this latest low GOP? and BTw what is "AQ" and "GOP"
  • GOP = group of pictures. Long story short, the longer the GOP, the longer you go before you get a true "snapshot" as one of your frames, rather than partial frame that is based on an algorithm that tracks changes between your "snapshot" frames, properly known as I frames. So basically, the lower the GOP, the closer you are to replicating actual film strip where each second is composed of 24 individual frames.
  • @driftwood, at the end you won the battle with the 220M.
    Bye bye Scarlet ;-)).
    I will test it in extreme conditions and report.
  • @driftwood
    I did not have, so far, no problems with your most recent settings GOP1. The files are played without problem in Win XP and Win 7 and the Premiere Pro CS 5 and Adobe After Effects. You are fucking gorgeous!!
  • so I see someone has release a 220 at GOP1? where is the ini file for that setting Im assuming its driftwood's? 1 How do i get it and 2 How do i send HIM money for saving me a scarlet :P
  • Had to be 244M in the end for the sake of stability. Just donate to Vitaliy, he's the guy who deserves everything.
  • Any driftwood GOP1 244M samples yet? :) Screenshots, maybe?
  • The file spanning worked for me with @driftwood new INTRA GOP1 setting. The nice thing was that when I did log and transfer in FCP the 3 files where recognized as one big 11,5GB file. The quality looks also amazing in 5DtoRGB but you need harddisk space and didn't found a batch possibility yet. To convert to Proress 4444 (in 5DtoRGB) the MTS 4.29 GB file becomes 22GB each. I'm currently working on laptop so need time to convert and upload some shots but what I saw on the playback on camera looks really good. And what I like so much is no importing issues or write errors. Excellent work!
  • Awesome, ill donate what I can for now and continue doing so... can you possibly PM me the file for that patch? getting the GH2 in wed. gonna be doing some interesting external powering tests, from a not so likely source. but its lithium, 3.5lbs (130watt hours) and best of all its $239 for the unit, with $80 swappable batteries... oh and rechargeable with two power output sources... report will be done wed.
  • Also Clipwrap see's the 3 spanning files (INTRA GOP1) as one file calling it a multiclip file.
  • You should be able to place it on a AVCHD 24p timeline and work natively with it, no more rendering 'red' bars come up ;-)
  • @driftwood - You are amazing to have pulled this off. We've been testing all morning, and I can say for sure - and this is just a gut level thing - the motion does seem to 'feel' better.

That said, this patch seems to be creating files about 1/2 the size of the previous gop3 132 patch (which we had been using and love). How and why would this be? Will you continue to play with bumping the bitrate higher?

Thank you again for the early x-mas.
  • The bitrate cant go higher - well not much higher with present ptools. At the moment Ive had to limit the top end too, its gonna take time and the help of others to bring this from here, but it certainly can be improved. The reason why I did it was for motion :-)
  • I expect chris and others to make great patches - we just have to understand all the settings more.
  • @ driftwood

"Its all over! This is it. "

Great WORK!!! Have been sidelined a bit with chemo treatments for throat cancer but just tried out your new 1 GOP setting. Incredible! It imports great into Avid and Edius. WMP plays it fine but Edius and Premiere still choke on smooth playback (due to AVCHD not the settings).

Motion-wise I think it's a whisker better looking than 3GOp but will do more tests. Now here's my question and it's not rhetorical, assuming the motion looks the same to the eye (and I'm not saying it does) between 3GOP and 1 GOP, will we get better image quality at the same data rate from a 3GOP setting with 1 I frame and 2 B frames or 1 GOP with ALL I frames???

If image quality will always better with all I frames then we're almost done here if your 1 GOP setting is the highest the GH2 can handle.

Again, great work and thanks to all involved!!!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions