Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • I feel slike a step backwards compared to the GH2 in this important regard. Not what I wanted. Hopefully the anti aliasing filter is improved in the final product, but in reality that's highly unlikely.

• Seriously? This one video is going to be the reason someone won't buy a GH3? How about we actually wait to see some work done with a PRODUCTION version of the GH3? IMO there have more positive videos than negative ones in terms of showing any problematic signs. To be honest if someone has a GH2 and is happy then there's really no issue here. I still happily use my GH1 so it's not the end of the world. Most of the people i'm working for don't know the difference anyway.

• I think that the Videos look very good! It is only less sharpened than the GH2 due to it's settings, but still resolves as much detail. And that very little bit of moiré added is really not a big deal at all.

• O.K., maybe Im starting to see ghosts too. I preordered 3 weeks ago and now Im looking and reading too much pixelpeeper-stuff whilst waiting for the camera.

• Here is a music video shot in New Zealand on a GH3,

Not really my type of music but more footage for discussion.

• @PhilC

Nice! Cool video! How long did the VFX and post production take?

• "driftwood 1:27PM

The use of adaptive 4x4 / 8x8 transform in the GH3 is to minimise the computational complexity of the codec producing better mean QP results without subjectively deterring the HVS (Human Visual System of perception). The GH2 with only 4x4 transform is doing much more arithmetic and consuming vast amounts of bitrate to do a similar job. However, the hacked GH2 can achieve equal/sometimes better results in certain shots - especially where things are lit well - like daylight. ....... Interestingly CABAC is being employed on AVCHD modes (High level 4.2) and CAVLC on All-I 24p/25p/30p (High level 5.0) for example. GH2 is CAVLC on all modes. ............."

In fact 8X8 transform is more computationally intensive but gives a gain in efficiency of more than 10%.

http://sipl.technion.ac.il/new/Archive/Special_Events/H264-2004/H264-FR-Extensions.pdf (page 12) http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/worksem/vica/docs/presentations/S3_P1_Sullivan.pdf (page 23)

As of CABAC vs CAVLC .. graphs by x264 Lead Developer Lorren Merrit ...

entropy_avg[1].png
    1500 x 1050 - 13K
    entropy[1].png
    1500 x 1050 - 39K
  • Firmware 1.0 is out for the GH3 says Pampuri on his tweet...

• ...and then the aliasing and moare is gone. ;-)

• 'minimise'. Larger transform has a better energy compaction than smaller transform, whereas the smaller transform prevents more ringing artifacts than larger transform in coded pictures.

The hacked GH2 without adaptive 4x4/8x8 transform is not as effecient.

• Menu settings...

• @Manu4Vendetta
    Thanks for posting, is it your production or by somebody else? I ask because of grading: is it in-camera setting or post-graded?

• @PhilMyself i Have twitted to Pampuri asking for moire and aliasing... he says hes' testing it out right now....

• @chef I'm dying to know if there is any improvements made!

• First look at the wifi features

If the GH3 is hackable i cant wait to see what kind of magic @vitaliy can come up with :-)

• @chef I was OK with the guy on menu settings until around 12:30, when he ignored 1080p24 and called it 1080i30, despite the evidence on the screen. He then talked about adjusting frame rate, and said that there was no point in hacking the camera unless you want higher frame rates (!!!). He obviously doesn't understand that the hacks have nothing to do with frame rates, and everything to do with data rate and encoding options.

• Looks like the GH3 will be available at selected UK retailers tomorrow (november 23).

And Philips Bloom tweeted that his GH3 review sample was on its way.

• There at warehouse tomoz. I have my gh3 coming tomoz. Selected retailers should have them by thursday nxt week.

• Sweet! Now on the list for 2 at B&H. :) I really want that BMC but didn't want the added workflow.

• @driftwood And that's one of the many, many, many things I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving. :)

• @manu4vendetta He's saying that it is the final firmware, fantastic !

• Anyone going to the photo fair in Stockholm tomorrow? I'm gonna check out the Panny booth to see if they got the 1.0.

• I haven't liked a single video of the GH3 from Pampuri. I don't understand why he makes such bad video. IMO only briefly during each scene do you get a sense of just how good the GH3 can look. Other than those brief moments you get a lot of out of focus, shaky and poorly exposed images. It would be better is he just kept it simple and shot something where he could get a more controlled shot. Just my personal view of his GH3 clips.

• @Aria, download the files from vimeo and see the difference. Definitely still have some moire ( check out the windows of the brown building and walls at 2:29) issues but looks much better.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions