Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • @GravitateMediaGroup Yes, I have been working on something new, but I don't have a projected release date yet in mind. It requires extended testing with a variety of SD cards, and I've fairly busy shooting lately. However, I'm not planning on increasing the bitrate of Flow Motion v2, as I'm convinced that 100Mbps peak is the highest reliable bitrate I can achieve with it in HBR and 720p modes. And with 24H mode, if I push it to to a much higher bitrate, it will no longer reliably span 4GB files on 95MB/sec SDXC cards.

• The lake of Posta Fibreno, is located by the village of Posta Fibreno, a small council of the Frosinone area in the Lazio Region. The lake is in a karstic terrain and rich in underwater springs.

Waiting for clearer water in winter time I edited some test shots filmed this summer. In this period, warmer, slower moving waters increase the production of algae and allow it to accumulate in large blobs covering most of lake vegetation. Underwater shots are almost completely ruined by this mucilage, that constantly sticks to the port. We will be back in water in January with a gin clear water.

For now, just a taste of this wonderful place.

Shot on a Panasonic GH2 + Lumix 8mm & 7-14mm loaded with Lee Powell’s Flow Motion 2.02 settings; Nauticam Housing.

Music: "All that you give" from the album "Every Day" by The Cinematic Orchestra.

• @lpowell

i'm sure you have mentioned it before, and i'm sorry if it has, but do you think HBR is the best way to shoot with FM? or does it depend on what you are trying to achieve?

• @producer

you ever going to release anything for anybody else to try?

• @GravitateMediaGroup In terms of motion picture quality, here's my ranking of the video modes:

1. 24fps: 1080p 24H mode
    2. 30fps: 1080p 24H 80% Slow-Motion (no sound)
    3. 25fps: 1080p HBR PAL mode
    4. 30fps: 1080p HBR NTSC mode
    5. 50fps: 720p SH PAL mode
    6. 60fps: 720p SH NTSC mode
  • Shot with Flow Motion, very low light:

• Gh2 banding...Is it normal??

(firmware 1.1 .lumix 14-42..160 iso.flow 2.02...24p...smooth)

http://www.mediafire.com/?nd3e77kzveqidbb

Thanks

• @LongJohnSilver WOW! That was fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

• @lpowell and just to complete the list would it be

7. 25fps: 1080i FSH PAL mode
      8. 30fps: 1080i FSH NTSC mode

• Flow Motion Low Light

• @bugilt Nice use of the aerial image to show "where & how" it would look if someone walked down to the lake. Aerial work for properties is always an eye catcher.

This was shot on a GH2 with flow motion? What copter rig did you use? Any video assist image being sent back to the operator?

• @CFreak Thanks! I'd optimally like to have people walking down and maybe a few on the dock with a boat. I'm at the mercy of the camera operator. Him being the only one that can see the video makes it difficult for me to guide the shot. I am working to get a HUD to watch along. I also have a small video ground station that can be mounted on a tripod. I try not to take my eyes off the craft though. The camera/gimbal operator has goggles he watches through.

GH2 w/ Flow Motion S800 with Zenmuse SD video downlink.

• Flowmotion still good !! Thank Lee !

• I'm using Flow Motion 2.02 on my GH2 with a freshly formatted Sandisk 95MB/sec card in 24fps: 1080p 24H mode and the results are very impressive (thanks LPowell ).

It seems to be pretty stable...except when I try and use Ex. Tele Conv to zoom in.

If I select Ex.tele Conv to 'on', before recording, and then record a video, It appears to record ok, but when i play back the video on my PC, only the first 3 - 4 seconds are recorded ok, but after that it is 'frozen' on a single frame.

Is this a know bug? Am I doing something wrong? or is a limitation of Flow Motion?

The video was of a 'complex' scene (a chicken walking across a grass field) and the average video bitrate was 94581 kbps, with the peak bitrate at the point where the video freezes being 107736 kbps

Edited to add - I've found out that there is nothing wrong....the files play back 100% ok in camera and in Premiere Pro CS6....but not in VLC player - I now need to find out why.

Edited again to add - I tried a variety of things to get VLC player working, but with no luck. I'm presuming it is the high bitrate of the videos. I then tried Media Player Classic and this works 100% and plays back the videos perfectly.

• Made this with Flow motion as a test. The blacks look a little noisy here, but probably exacerbated by a combination of vimeo compression, the filmconverter plugin, and maybe I lifted the lower end too much. Also demonstrated some banding, particularly before I converted it to monochrome.

Chiswick from Austin Wong on Vimeo.

• Flow Motion underwater

SS VALSAVOIA

The Steam Ship was built and launched as ROSOLINO ORLANDO in 1919 by the "Società Esercizio Bacini of Riva Trigoso" for the "Industrie Navali Società Anonima" (INSA) of Genoa. In 1923 she was renamed VALSAVOIA. She was 5.733 tsl with a length x breadth of 117.60 x 15.70 m. The SS VALSAVOIA, was torpedoed and sunk by HMS SAFARI on February 2nd 1943, while traveling from Naples to Palermo,10 miles West of Capri island near Positano.

The wreck lies under 85m/ 278ft of water in upward position.

Shot on a Panasonic GH2 + Lumix 7-14mm loaded with Lee Powell’s Flow Motion 2.02 settings; Nauticam Housing, 2x FIX Aquavolt3500 lights and 2x 50W HID Yellow Diving.

Music: Dandi + Mattanza + Bologna from the soundtrack of "Romanzo Criminale" by Paolo Buonvino.

• Hi, I've been using this Flow Motion 2.02 patch for a bit, and i seem to consistently get video that looks like it's pausing or playing very slowly when i look at it in VLC or in Toast Video Player, and even after I imported it (transcoded or non-transcoded) it still ends up looking slow after my exports from Premiere.

I was shooting using: 1080/24p/24H on a custom preset (C1)

Has anybody else had similar problems?

• @Sabio Some video players have trouble maintaining the high bitrate of Flow Motion v2 videos. On Windows 7, I've found Media Player Classic is able to handle playback without stuttering:

http://download.cnet.com/Media-Player-Classic/3000-2139_4-10518778.html

• @Sabio on the Mac try Movist 0.6.8 it works works well for me. I am on 10.7.5 (don't know about 10.8). @Driftwood put me on to it from one of his posts.

I had the same problems as you with those players until the footage was transcoded to ProRes for editing in FCP7.

• Hi Lee, I'm about to move from the GH1 to the GH2 (late I know but I shoot weddings and the gh1 has been working well) I've ben reading up on the flowmotion patch for the GH2 but I'm worried about the bitrate and consequent file size. If a 4 Gb card delivers 10 minutes of footage then a greek ceremony will push 20 Gb - that's a lot of cards and room in the edit and processing power to handle - is it possible to have the advantages of the FM patch but lower the average bitrate to around 50? of should I be looking at a different patch. reliability and spanning are an absolute priority for me.

• flow motion is for fast moving object in gh2??? does it has motion blur?? what is flow motion actually, i know its a hack 100mbps , but whats so special?

• Go back to page 1 of this post and start reading

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions