Personal View site logo
Please Help: Problem with my GH2 Footage
  • 44 Replies sorted by
  • I have this problem with Flowmotion 2.02... Driftwood Canis Majoris Pm works perfect..

• Same problem for me with Flowmotion 2.02. But I'm almost sure problem is not recorded in the MTS file. I can see the problem in AE CS6 and in VLC player, but not in Media Player Classic, if diagonal rain was in the original file I could see it always... Transcoding with 5DtoRGB and problem goes away too...

• @thepalalias I usually see it in a frame with a large area of midtone that is slightly underexposed. The exposure meter may or may not show underexposure and there may even be am overexposed area. A good place to recreate it is a fairly dark bedroom with gray walls. The practical lighting will show a normal exposure but gray walls and dark floor/bedding will randomly show this strange tinting. It seems rather random in timing too. I can step through a scene frame by frame and it doesn't seem to happen with any type of cadence and it usually shows only in the midtones but not the brighter areas and sometimes not in the blacks. I showed a screenshot of it in the GH3 thread from Bloom's video. I'll see if I can find it..

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/f1/5cc8e5d622aa870a29e4d606be5744.png

And look in the carpet and walls. Different tints.

It seems to be an artifact of the codec itself. Because the GH3 shows this, it's pretty obvious that they used the same code base from the GH2 and just updated it with the improvements. This is one thing I wish panny would fix rather than some of the other benign stuff people are asking for.

• @svart I've also talked about the intermittent "shadow flicker issue" several times. I sometimes go to great lengths to shoot to avoid it. I was hoping it would be fixed in the GH3.

The issue you and I encountered is (as you said) not hack related, but it seems some people may be encountering a workflow issue on top of that...

• @spikedurden I've had similar problem almost one year ago, probably because I've accidentally added something in Ptool while loading one @driftwood 's patch. Do just as driftwood adviced to, it should solve the problem. @driftwood I tought the flickering had to do with PAL/NTSC but reflashing solved the issue....maybe my cat walked over the keyboard when I wasn't watching (I am serious....)

• These are the flickers I've always been talking about and nobody seems to take it seriously. It's present in the stock firmware under certain conditions and is also present in every patch that I've tried under the same conditions, low light with large area underexposed. It's even present in the GH3 footage out there. If you go frame by frame, some frames will have different tints of color in the noise over large areas of the underexposed places.

• @spikedurdenTry a clean install of Sedna:redownload ptools,firmware and sedna into their own directory.Reflash. It could very well be your workflow.

• Just put up a video shot with Sedna AQ1 and it's clean but I'm cutting on FCP converted with 5DRGB.

• Interesting stuff. Yes, I am using CS6, but not After Effects, Premiere Pro. I guess that could be an issue, however I recall seeing the problem in FCP as well. And no, I'm not positive it's Sedna responsible. All I know is I changed hacks to Sanity 5 and shot in the same places and lighting settings as where I saw the problems. Haven't seen any issues since...

• If the video works properly with Media Player, then the problem is with the encoder programs & files : . MTS. Yes with ss6, edius for me works perfectly- AVCHD2HQ converter

EditingAVCCAM_EDIUS.pdf
  • By the way, I am doing tests with Sedna AQ1 in After Effects CS6, and this problem is not happening. Are you sure it was a Sedna matrix?

• By any chance are you using After Effects CS6? In another thread a few weeks ago, someone was having what appears to be the same problem with Flowmotion 2.0 footage. I was doing greenscreen tests at the time and saw the same problem in my footage. I tested the footage in CS5.5, CS6 and Avid Media Composer 6. The problem only appeared in CS6. My conclusion was that CS6 (as it stands now)and Flowmotion 2.0 do not play well together.

• Interesting, considering the fact that I changed hack to Sanity 5 and the problem was solved.

I'm not going to post in beginner's because it's not a beginner's question on how to use or install hacks or best camera settings. It's a question about hack behavior. I've used at least 10 different hacks over the past year and this is the only time something like this has happened. It ruined a lot of my footage so it's a big deal to me.

If the hack wasn't doing it to my footage, what was? The solution to my problem was switching hacks.

• @spikedurden same thing happened to me using flowmotion.

• Sedna isnt doing that to your footage. Goto beginners thread with your question.

• I think this can help

EditingAVCCAM_EDIUS.pdf
  • Yeah exactly. It's like digital rain. Not something I've seen before. I think I'm just going to revert to original firmware, do some tests and then try a reliable hack like Sanity v5. But still, if anyone has seen this before, I'd love to hear about it.

• looks like you brought the rain with you everywhere you shot. i've never seen that before.

simple test. revert back to original or different firmware and observe.