Personal View site logo
  • 257 Replies sorted by
  • Any opinion on whether the extra cost for the Water White version of the Tiffen ND filters are worth it? Better image quality, and color accuracy over the the regular Tiffen ND filters? Also, anyone with experience comparing the Tiffen Ciruclar Polarizer filters with and without the Water White - any difference in quality here?

• that it is paid review, and this guys are their sponsors and advertisers

Unless I'm missing something, their only overt fault is accepting or offering advertising space without:

a) declaring it, or; b) Giving equal advertising space to competitors.

Although it's not the worst of journalistic sins, it's a bad look. I think it's wise of us to be sceptical these days. Whatever happened to the "Sony lent us their new camera to try out" review? For me, it lends credibility.

(I just spent Xmas dinner with my family of good journalists who've moved on into marketing) :-(

• Well I'd have to say it beats out the LCW one. The LCW fader ruined some shots because I was unaware of it's horrible softness with anything over 50mm. It shows easily in my tests. The one fun thing about my tests is that I forgot to shoot a shot without any filter! Oh fun. So there's no constant to compare against. Only color of the filters. The two faders put in a slight green tint and the Tiffen glass look like it darkened it up and even took away contrast. We really couldn't tell the difference in the normal glass and the whitewater glass, especially for the price.

• Aye looked kind of excited bout it didnt he :) Looks like they gave a lot away for free lol

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2012/12/08/nd-fader-shootout-heliopan-vs-the-new-genus-eclipse/

• @soundgh2

Good thing to understand that it is paid review, and this guys are their sponsors and advertisers :-)

• I just did a test between the LCW Fader Mark II, Genus Fader, A Tiffen Whitewater 4x4 ND and a normal Tiffen 4x4 ND. If I have time before I fly out I'll put up a raw video of them all. Very interesting. One thing for sure, the LCW is a piece of shit!

• he used it on a 120mm with no loss of sharpness ,I know my LCW struggles on anything above 50mm

• @ade4all Looks interesting but I saw the same type of tests come from the lCW one too. I wonder how it performs on the long end.

• apparently the new Genus Eclipse fader ND is of comparable quality to the Heliopan but a lot cheaper - no loss of sharpness or colour tint according to Frank Glencairn who is well respected

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2012/12/08/nd-fader-shootout-heliopan-vs-the-new-genus-eclipse/

• @thougts2uk I have the LCW Fader ND and it's worthless on the telephoto end. Just figured it out. Ruined some of my shots when I got home and saw the footage. It's not the pro though.

• Does anyone know where to get those Formatt Pro Stop IR ND filters? Found them only on the Abelcine site. Not even on the company's website!

• How various filters perform (mostly top ones)

• Has anyone had experience with the LCW (light craft workshop) new fader nd digi-pro? or the Tokina Kenko NDX or the ELVA Fader ND?

Thanks

• The faderND I got has 46mm inner thread but the outer thread is 49mm or something like that.

Yeah, I think that's what mine are too - the ones I've seen all are larger at the front (I guess to avoid vignetting). Worth checking out if you want to add something to the front. I got a 49mm ND8 as it's faster to add it on top.

• I use these cheap faders: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250854593997?clk_rvr_id=410460499738&afsrc=1. They don't filter polarized light (at least they didn't when I bought them last year). I add a cheap ND8 (aka 0.9) when it gets too bright and the fader can't cope alone. All I need for normal stuff.

That fader might leave a slight cast (I wrote it did back then), but in practice the auto white balance takes care of it, so I just don't notice.

• @Vicx I have a Lightcraft Fader ND but not too keen on the polarizing effect and slight color shift I was seeing so I'm going for 4x4's. I should have been more clear in terms of type of ND. @goanna Yep, the .6 seems to be a good start but with all the damn sun here in LA, I just bought a 1.2 to check it out.

• I bought the POLAROID 67mm HD Multi-Coated (ND) Variable Range filter and I am very happy with the results. No colour differences (at least with my eyes). I didn't have enough money to buy the LCW, so this is a mid price solution for anyone interested.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281005443935

• I bought the FOTGA faderND for use outdoors on the Lumix 20mm f1.7 to slow down the shutter from 1/1000 to 1/(25/50/100) at F1.7 in bright sunlight so I can have a shallow DOF and nice motion blur.

The faderND I got has 46mm inner thread but the outer thread is 49mm or something like that. Photos of faderND attached.

Front_Profile_FotgaSlimWideBandFaderNDW46mm.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 748K
    Top_View_FotgaSlimWideBandFaderNDW46mm.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 835K
    In_Hand_FotgaSlimWideBandFaderNDW46mm.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 827K
  • .6 is the most used.

• So what do ya'll use as an average sunny, outdoor ND filter? .9, 1.2? Just trying to get a sense of what to use coming from a pure video camera background. Example HVX200. I don't want to have an arsenal of ND's but two or three would be good. Just bought a .6 Tiffen WW.

• @goanna

Yes, most of the time when filters are listed as ND1.8, ND2.1 etc... what they are actually listing is the optical density rating.

The great thing about standards is that there are so many of them.

• @jpturbo a 3.0 ND is way over the top for all but snow, solar eclipse, dazzling sunlight.

Nomenclature is important when ordering NDs because of inconsistencies. Even the Wikipedia table below omits the "2x" etc scale.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter